2012 NBA Playoffs

TheGreatGatsby

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2012
California
The playoff seeds are not yet set; but it's an interesting discussion to start now!

Just some thoughts off the top of my head:

• The Spurs are the deepest team I've seen in a long time. I know that that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot in terms of playoff rotations when teams are only using an 8 man rotation. But it does mean a couple things still. First, they've taken advantage of their depth to potentially get the one seed while playing key players limited minutes. Second, it means that injuries won't hurt them as much as the next team. It'd still be hard to see them winning it all though w/o The Big Three healthy.
    --
  • Although the Heat have so much athleticism that they can somewhat defy the conventional wisdom of having strong bigs; I have to believe the odds are against them even with Stern pulling all his punches (inevitably). They can win the weaker East for sure though. So it would depend on who they match-up with from The West.
    --
  • I think the Bulls are a bit hyped but I have been taking them more seriously in recent weeks and I do think they are the best team in the East. I do like that they gel as a team. They are fun to watch. But personally, I don't like Rose or Noah so I personally won't be rooting for them.
    --
  • The Celtics are the third team from the East with a real shot. I'll lay it out on the table. I'm a C's fan so that's my bias. But ever since Doc inserted Avery Bradley into the starting line-up the defensive intensity has returned. They have all the types of pieces and experience needed. Their achilles heel is rebounding though.

I could see them beating the Heat or the Bulls; but both would probably be a stretch. So hopefully one of them gets upset from my C's fan P.O.V.

But the C's often play down to their competition. So before it even gets to that, they'll have their hands full with the freaking Hawks who suck. But still Boston will find a way to keep them in games.
    --
  • I like watching the OKC Thunder come playoff time b/c they're exciting. But I have to agree with Shaq. They rely entirely too much on jump shooting. That could hurt them especially if they play a quick team with good perimeter defenders. The Grizzlies or Clippers come to mind.
    --
  • Speaking of the Grizzlies and Clippers; I tend to think that neither of them will make it to the conference finals. They are fun to watch though.
    --
  • I am disappointed that the 4 v 5 Clippers vs. Lakers match-up did not occur. That would have been epic. Kobe is so jealous of the new kids on the block lol.
    --
  • The eight seed is not yet set in the West. This game between Phx and Utah looks like do or die. Phoenix is pretty weak. I think the Spurs will be rooting for them. Houston, who is also in the chase for the last seed is looking dysfunctional. So I think the Spurs would like them too. I think Utah is a sleeper. But I don't think Harris can outplay Parker so it still won't matter.

The Spurs haven't been this good since probably the 2005 season. Ever since Robert Horry and Bruce Bowen retired they never found anyone to replace them. They finally got some guys to fill their shoes though this year in Kawhi Leonard and Stephen Jackson.
I think they can win the west this year, I just don't know if they can beat the Bulls or Miami this year.

The Spurs haven't been this good since probably the 2005 season. Ever since Robert Horry and Bruce Bowen retired they never found anyone to replace them. They finally got some guys to fill their shoes though this year in Kawhi Leonard and Stephen Jackson.
I think they can win the west this year, I just don't know if they can beat the Bulls or Miami this year.

Have you seen the Spurs scores lately? They've been consistently murdering teams by 20 plus points. Then they'll decide to rest players and lose a couple games and it takes their averages down.

Their ppg differential of +7.2 is 2nd best only behind the Heat's +7.9. And when you consider that the Spurs play in the much better West. But if they played starters more minutes they'd probably be up at the 10 to 11 positive differential that Jordan's best teams reached.

I do think that the Spurs are the best team in the league but I have to agree that they could lose to the Bulls and Heat. I think'd be an advantage to win playoff series quickly. If the Spurs had home court advantage and well rested going into a championship; I wouldn't pick against them.

I think a key for them will be finding the right playoff rotation. I don't even know if Pop knows what'll work yet.

I still say watch out for the C's. They'll have a hard time beating the Bulls; but if they make it to the conference finals vs. the Heat, I'd have to consider betting on them.

Also, Indy is a sleeper. They could present problems for the Heat in the second round.

It's not going to be the Oklahoma City Thunder.

They proved that blowinga lead against theLakers.

A soft immature team that wilts in the stretch.

Seattle Sonics crybabies are calling them "the favorites to win the NBA title in 2012."

Have you seen the Spurs scores lately? They've been consistently murdering teams by 20 plus points. Then they'll decide to rest players and lose a couple games and it takes their averages down.

Their ppg differential of +7.2 is 2nd best only behind the Heat's +7.9. And when you consider that the Spurs play in the much better West. But if they played starters more minutes they'd probably be up at the 10 to 11 positive differential that Jordan's best teams reached.

I do think that the Spurs are the best team in the league but I have to agree that they could lose to the Bulls and Heat. I think'd be an advantage to win playoff series quickly. If the Spurs had home court advantage and well rested going into a championship; I wouldn't pick against them.

I think a key for them will be finding the right playoff rotation. I don't even know if Pop knows what'll work yet.

I still say watch out for the C's. They'll have a hard time beating the Bulls; but if they make it to the conference finals vs. the Heat, I'd have to consider betting on them.

Also, Indy is a sleeper. They could present problems for the Heat in the second round.

I always thought that the Spurs were an ANCIENT team - but I haven't followed the NBA that much.

Have they gotten younger and more athletic. ?

They rest players like Duncan in reg season games to get them rested. (and take losses)

WTF is that - a first..................................

Last edited:
The Miami Heat of 2012 - James, Wade, Bosh - are a poor-mans 1960 LA Lakers with Wilt C. , Elgin Baylor, Jerry West - who always lost to inferior Boston Celtics teams.

The Heat sucks.

The playoff seeds are not yet set; but it's an interesting discussion to start now!

Just some thoughts off the top of my head:

• The Spurs are the deepest team I've seen in a long time. I know that that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot in terms of playoff rotations when teams are only using an 8 man rotation. But it does mean a couple things still. First, they've taken advantage of their depth to potentially get the one seed while playing key players limited minutes. Second, it means that injuries won't hurt them as much as the next team. It'd still be hard to see them winning it all though w/o The Big Three healthy.
    --
  • Although the Heat have so much athleticism that they can somewhat defy the conventional wisdom of having strong bigs; I have to believe the odds are against them even with Stern pulling all his punches (inevitably). They can win the weaker East for sure though. So it would depend on who they match-up with from The West.
    --
  • I think the Bulls are a bit hyped but I have been taking them more seriously in recent weeks and I do think they are the best team in the East. I do like that they gel as a team. They are fun to watch. But personally, I don't like Rose or Noah so I personally won't be rooting for them.
    --
  • The Celtics are the third team from the East with a real shot. I'll lay it out on the table. I'm a C's fan so that's my bias. But ever since Doc inserted Avery Bradley into the starting line-up the defensive intensity has returned. They have all the types of pieces and experience needed. Their achilles heel is rebounding though.

I could see them beating the Heat or the Bulls; but both would probably be a stretch. So hopefully one of them gets upset from my C's fan P.O.V.

But the C's often play down to their competition. So before it even gets to that, they'll have their hands full with the freaking Hawks who suck. But still Boston will find a way to keep them in games.
    --
  • I like watching the OKC Thunder come playoff time b/c they're exciting. But I have to agree with Shaq. They rely entirely too much on jump shooting. That could hurt them especially if they play a quick team with good perimeter defenders. The Grizzlies or Clippers come to mind.
    --
  • Speaking of the Grizzlies and Clippers; I tend to think that neither of them will make it to the conference finals. They are fun to watch though.
    --
  • I am disappointed that the 4 v 5 Clippers vs. Lakers match-up did not occur. That would have been epic. Kobe is so jealous of the new kids on the block lol.
    --
  • The eight seed is not yet set in the West. This game between Phx and Utah looks like do or die. Phoenix is pretty weak. I think the Spurs will be rooting for them. Houston, who is also in the chase for the last seed is looking dysfunctional. So I think the Spurs would like them too. I think Utah is a sleeper. But I don't think Harris can outplay Parker so it still won't matter.

I think the Spurs are boring and hope it isn't them who wins it all this year.

Did you forget Dallas? They may have a repeat in them but I doubt it. Its tough to do.

The Lakers. I was starting to think maybe them and then Meta World Piece of Shit punched that guy on Oklahoma and now I don't think so. And Bynum is an asshole too. Bad Karma on this team. No championship, I hope. But you never know with Kobe. He is great.

I think it is amazing that the Heat are probably not going to win again this year. I think it is a better story that Lebron still doesn't have a ring. I'm sure Cleveland fans agree.

Boston? Good but no way. But man is Rondo the bomb or what?

NY? I wish. I don't know why I want them to be good. NY is a big market and should be good. Spike Lee vs. Jack Nicholson finals would be great! Maybe next year when Lin is back.

I want Oklahoma to win and picked them earlier this year but now I'm not so sure. They are showing weaknessess all of the sudden. But I LOVE Durant. He's the best, not Lebron. And of course I mean when Kobe retires. Because he's still the best.

It would be cool if the Bulls won. But I just don't see that happening. They have to win one to win me over. But they are a solid TEAM and they have Rip Hamilton now too. Man what would Miami do if the Bulls beat them? OMG. I can't wait.

I always thought that the Spurs were an ANCIENT team - but I haven't followed the NBA that much.

Have they gotten younger and more athletic. ?

They rest players like Duncan in reg season games to get them rested. (and take losses)

WTF is that - a first..................................

Spurs are much younger and athletic now. Oldest guy is Tim at 36.

And by the way when they've rested their stars they still win usually.

Did you forget Dallas? They may have a repeat in them but I doubt it. Its tough to do.

The Lakers. I was starting to think maybe them and then Meta World Piece of Shit punched that guy on Oklahoma and now I don't think so. And Bynum is an asshole too. Bad Karma on this team. No championship, I hope. But you never know with Kobe. He is great.

I think it is amazing that the Heat are probably not going to win again this year. I think it is a better story that Lebron still doesn't have a ring. I'm sure Cleveland fans agree.

NY? I wish. I don't know why I want them to be good. NY is a big market and should be good. Spike Lee vs. Jack Nicholson finals would be great! Maybe next year when Lin is back.

I want Oklahoma to win and picked them earlier this year but now I'm not so sure. They are showing weaknessess all of the sudden. But I LOVE Durant. He's the best, not Lebron. And of course I mean when Kobe retires. Because he's still the best.

It would be cool if the Bulls won. But I just don't see that happening. They have to win one to win me over. But they are a solid TEAM and they have Rip Hamilton now too. Man what would Miami do if the Bulls beat them? OMG. I can't wait.

-- I'm sure people can say baseball's boring if it's not the Yankees and Dodgers or Red Sox and Mets in the World Series. I don't really like those arguments, but I understand them.

Just like a baseball enthusiast just prefers to see quality baseball irregardless of the teams; that's how I feel about the Spurs. Give me the 86 Celts to any Jordan team any day. I like the teams that gel perfectly and have all the pieces. It's a thing of beauty.

-- Dallas would have a great shot at back to back had Mark Cuban not got cheap and resigned Tyson Chandler. It was stupid. He was the defensive anchor. Not signing him made about as much sense as it would to not keep Dirk for his offense.

-- The Lakers can beat anyone but they're not a great team. They'll be done in one of the first two rounds most likely.

-- I love Lebron's skill set. But I don't like his attitude. I don't like that the league panders to him. I'd be happy to see him lose despite my appreciation for his athletic abilities.

All season long, I've watched him drive and offensive foul by plowing his shoulder into players. The refs let him do it and its a disservice to him b/c he doesn't think he has to work on his mid range game. That type of stuff can hurt him come playoff time.

-- Boston has the best record since the all-star break I believe. They're playing at a championship level and it's b/c Avery Bradley is a lockdown defender and solid scorer at SG. Ray Allen moved to the bench. They have what it takes. Rondo and Bradley will have to do heavy lifting and Pierce and KG will need to be vintage down the stretch of games though.

-- NY would be more interesting if they had Lin. Basically, the Howardless Magic are the only playoff team that sucks more than they do though. I'll be happy if they get a quick hook. Then again, I'd be happy if they beat the Heat.

-- Like I said, I'm not a Bulls fan but watch them. They're like the Spurs of the East. They play together on both ends of the court and they have the pieces. Their lack of low post game would hurt them if they were in the west; but since they're in the east they can get away with it.

-- I'm sure people can say baseball's boring if it's not the Yankees and Dodgers or Red Sox and Mets in the World Series. I don't really like those arguments, but I understand them.

Just like a baseball enthusiast just prefers to see quality baseball irregardless of the teams; that's how I feel about the Spurs. Give me the 86 Celts to any Jordan team any day. I like the teams that gel perfectly and have all the pieces. It's a thing of beauty.

-- Dallas would have a great shot at back to back had Mark Cuban not got cheap and resigned Tyson Chandler. It was stupid. He was the defensive anchor. Not signing him made about as much sense as it would to not keep Dirk for his offense.

-- The Lakers can beat anyone but they're not a great team. They'll be done in one of the first two rounds most likely.

-- I love Lebron's skill set. But I don't like his attitude. I don't like that the league panders to him. I'd be happy to see him lose despite my appreciation for his athletic abilities.

All season long, I've watched him drive and offensive foul by plowing his shoulder into players. The refs let him do it and its a disservice to him b/c he doesn't think he has to work on his mid range game. That type of stuff can hurt him come playoff time.

-- Boston has the best record since the all-star break I believe. They're playing at a championship level and it's b/c Avery Bradley is a lockdown defender and solid scorer at SG. Ray Allen moved to the bench. They have what it takes. Rondo and Bradley will have to do heavy lifting and Pierce and KG will need to be vintage down the stretch of games though.

-- NY would be more interesting if they had Lin. Basically, the Howardless Magic are the only playoff team that sucks more than they do though. I'll be happy if they get a quick hook. Then again, I'd be happy if they beat the Heat.

-- Like I said, I'm not a Bulls fan but watch them. They're like the Spurs of the East. They play together on both ends of the court and they have the pieces. Their lack of low post game would hurt them if they were in the west; but since they're in the east they can get away with it.

Unless the Spurs are playing another interesting team I like, I don't watch them. I can't get over 2005 game 7. I'm a Piston fan.

And didn't Lamar Odom screw Dallas too this year? Instead of being a man, he's home sick for LA? The Kardashians got to him.

You say Cuban got rid of Chandler. i say Boston made a mistake when they got rid of Perkins. Now he might help Durant win a ring.

Indiana gets Orlando. I say Indiana wins.

First round winners in the East will be Heat, Indiana, Chicago and Boston.

West looks like Spurs, Lakers, Oklahoma & Dallas??? Are any of them playing each other in the first round though? I don't know the matchups.

Bobcats finish with the worst record in NBA History. How come MJ and Isaih Thomas were such good players but they can't manage?

Playoffs are finally here.

Will Atlanta beat Boston? No.

Chicago vs. Philly Da Bulls.

Miami vs. NY? Would love to see NY upset them in the first round. Lets see if Lebron chokes in the 4th this year.

Will Indiana beat Orlando? Yes

jazz spurs? Spurs win
Mavs Thunder? Thunder win
Clippers and Grizzlies? Grizzlies
Lakers vs Denver. No brainer, Lakers

Charles Barkley just predicted Denver upsets the Lakers!

Last edited:
jazz spurs? Spurs win
Mavs Thunder? Thunder win
Clippers and Grizzlies? Grizzlies
Lakers vs Denver. No brainer, Lakers

Charles Barkley just predicted Denver upsets the Lakers!

Barkley is so dumb.

IF the Celtics make it out of the first round they will get waxed by the Bulls.

Forum List

Back