Sports Violence: Should It Be Prosecuted?

SayMyName

Live, Love, Laugh.
Dec 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
In the aftermath of the latest NBA player to receive a concussion from another player who elbowed him, is it time to begin prosecuting players for such acts instead of just leaving it to their leagues to deliver consequences?

World Peace should make a public apology -aside from any fines or suspensions = for being a phony.

World Peace should make a public apology -aside from any fines or suspensions = for being a phony.

Whirled Peas :lol:

give-peas-a-chance1.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
It was a lot more than that. Now, he should be banned from the sport for life. No need to worry about prosecuting him, sooner or later he will make certain of that himself off the court.

World Peace has a screw loose.

That is a very sardonic name for such a violent player. It is my understanding that Harden could press charges if he wanted. The league really needs to come down extra hard on World Peace. Goodness, I dislike even using that name in reference to him.

In the aftermath of the latest NBA player to receive a concussion from another player who elbowed him, is it time to begin prosecuting players for such acts instead of just leaving it to their leagues to deliver consequences?

I always looked at it as ...

If I'm in a bar and I get pissed off at you and throw a punch.....I am liable for my actions

If I am driving and you cut me off and I chase you down and beat you up....I am liable for my actions

If I am playing basketball and I get pissed off at you and deck you......Hey, it's sports!

...is it time to begin prosecuting players for such acts instead of just leaving it to their leagues to deliver consequences?

So, in addition to the tax breaks and/or subsidies given to the team owners to build the stadium, we're now going to use more taxpayer dollars to arrest their entitled players getting into fights on private property? I have to say no to that one.

...is it time to begin prosecuting players for such acts instead of just leaving it to their leagues to deliver consequences?

So, in addition to the tax breaks and/or subsidies given to the team owners to build the stadium, we're now going to use more taxpayer dollars to arrest their entitled players getting into fights on private property? I have to say no to that one.

People are arrested for fighting on private property all the time. Isn't a bar private property?

People are arrested for fighting on private property all the time. Isn't a bar private property?

Yes they are but that doesn't make it right. Bars should provide their own security, and many do. Bar fights, sporting scuffles...I'm suggesting these things need not involve the use of taxpayer dollars, which police involvement requires. If someone starts a fight in your place, kick them out. In the vast majority of cases, that's all that's required. Certainly a couple of spoiled millionaires slapping each other on a basketball court need not involve taxpayer funded authorities.

Yes they are but that doesn't make it right. Bars should provide their own security, and many do. Bar fights, sporting scuffles...I'm suggesting these things need not involve the use of taxpayer dollars, which police involvement requires. If someone starts a fight in your place, kick them out. In the vast majority of cases, that's all that's required. Certainly a couple of spoiled millionaires slapping each other on a basketball court need not involve taxpayer funded authorities.

Much like a bar fight, if you get into a shoving match in a bar or throw a punch with no damage you are thrown out.......just like in sports

But if you fight in a bar and give someone a concussion, you are arrested.....not so in sports

Much like a bar fight, if you get into a shoving match in a bar or throw a punch with no damage you are thrown out.......just like in sports

But if you fight in a bar and give someone a concussion, you are arrested.....not so in sports

Can you point me to the section/subsection of your state's penal code that makes assault and battery in a bar legal as long as you don't give the guy a concussion?

One, nothing prevents the DA from taking action against Artest.

Two nothing prevents the NBA from banning Artest for life.

Nothing except $$$ and sports fame.

Forum List

Back