2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Today it all starts to get a bit serious and the countdown (currently 188 days) truly begins. For fans of The Beautiful Game, life basically stops for a little under a month once every 4 years. It is the most watched sporting even in the world (well ahead of the Olympics). In 2006, 300 million people watched the World Cup Draw, with the cumulative total for the tournament itself at well over 25 billion people, and with over 700 million watching the final itself.

Coverage of the draw for the 2010 World Cup Group Stage is on ESPN2 starting at noon today. Of the 200+ countries that started playing in the Qualification Rounds well over a year ago, the 32 Qualifying Teams (with regions and current world ranking) are as follows. Asterisks denote the number of World Cups each country has won.

From Europe
Spain (1)
Netherlands (3)
Italy**** (4)
Portugal (5)
Germany*** (6)
France* (7)
England* (9) :clap2:
Greece (12)
Switzerland (18)
Serbia (20)
Denmark (26)
Slovenia (33)
Slovakia (34)

From Northern and Central America
USA (14)
Mexico (15)
Honduras (38)

From South America
Brazil***** (2)
Argentina** (8)
Chile (17)
Uruguay** (19)
Paraguay (30)

From Africa
Cameroon (11)
Ivory Coast (16)
Nigeria (22)
Algeria (28)
Ghana (37)
South Africa (86)

From Asia and Oceania
Australia (21)
Japan (43)
South Korea (52)
New Zealand (77)
North Korea (84)

I'll update with details of the draw as they become available. This world cup will be particularly interesting for 3 main reasons from my POV:

1. This will be the 19th World Cup, but it's the first time the tournament has been played in Africa, and only the 3rd time it has been played outside Europe or Central/South America, the other 2 being the 1994 (USA) and 2002 (Japan and South Korea) tournaments.

2. When playing outside their home continent, only one team has won the world cup - Brazil. In fact, Brazil has done it 3 times (Sweden in 1958, USA in 1994 and Japan / South Korea in 2002).

3. When any nation wins the tournament 3 times, they get to keep the trophy. This happened when Brazil won the original trophy (the Jules Rimet Trophy) outright in 1970. After that, a new trophy (pictured below) was introduced. Since the first tournament that the new trophy was used (1974), 4 teams have won the World Cup twice each: Brazil (1994, 2002), Germany (1974, 1990), Italy (1982, 2006) and Argentina (1978, 1986 cheating bastards). If any of those 4 teams wins in 2010, they keep the trophy.

FIFA.com - Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
world_cup_trophy.jpg

Group A
South Africa
Mexico
Uruguay
France

Group B
Argentina
Nigeria
South Korea
Greece

Group C
England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia

Group D
Germany
Australia
Serbia
Ghana

Group E
Netherlands
Denmark
Japan
Cameroon

Group F
Italy
Paraguay
New Zealand
Slovakia

Group G
Brazil
North Korea
Ivory Coast
Portugal

Group H
Spain
Switzerland
Honduras
Chile

England and USA will be expected to get through the group.

First place in Group C then plays runner up in Group D, and vice versa. Germany will likely win Group D. The runner up will come from Australia, Serbia and Ghana. Given the choice, I'd prefer to avoid Germany, so the USA / England game is critical.

All in all this is a really good draw for both the U.S. and England.

First place in Group C then plays runner up in Group D, and vice versa. Germany will likely win Group D. The runner up will come from Australia, Serbia and Ghana. Given the choice, I'd prefer to avoid Germany, so the USA / England game is critical.

i see slovenia going through with england.....

group of death is G

argentina italy germany spain and holland have a cake walk...

Last edited:
Imagine how embarrassing it would have been for New Zealand not to have advanced out of the Oceania Round with their competition being Fiji, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Tuvalu, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Samoa, Tonga, and American Samoa.

Imagine how embarrassing it would have been for New Zealand not to have advanced out of the Oceania Round with their competition being Fiji, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Tuvalu, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Samoa, Tonga, and American Samoa.

they used to have australia in that group ....and nz would have to have a play off with a south american country....

Those Cook Island boys are pretty useful. :lol:

group of death is G

group G is cool. i will root for kim jong il's men. and of course drogba and co!

don't underestimate algeria! germany did that once and had to fight real ugly to stay in the world cup.

group of death is G

group G is cool. i will root for kim jong il's men. and of course drogba and co!

don't underestimate algeria! germany did that once and had to fight real ugly to stay in the world cup.

Drogba???

head%20in%20toilet.jpg

Actually that pic could really be me. Same body type, I often wear black tee shirts and I think I own those boxers (well, not that actual pair). Those are even my reading glasses. Spooky. I don't remember that bathroom, but I've had 'lost weekends'.

Actually that pic could really be me. Same body type, I often wear black tee shirts and I think I own those boxers (well, not that actual pair). Those are even my reading glasses. Spooky. I don't remember that bathroom, but I've had 'lost weekends'.

i hope you cannot find any similarities with this football fan (warning: schalke and gross)

Nope, but then sometimes not being a Liverpool fan must be tough.

how are you taking the early exit from the CL?

i am not really following closely this season, and was surprised to see any english team fail, especially liverpool who annoy me the least.

Forum List

Back