2001-2008: 2.4 million jobs moved to China: Do politicians care?

As long as Obama continues on a spending binge which makes us more and more reliant on borrowing from China, jobs will shift towards China.

Question for rdean: do you buy any products made in China?

This really is the answer.

We can't force China to depeg from the dollar.

But we can control our trade deficit, our federal deficit and our role as the world reserve currency. That is a lot of options to weaken the dollar and or break the peg that we control.

The power of our purse is the most available. And we wouldn't have to stop buying Chinese goods altogether, just stop buying everything from China and buy a few more things that are made in the USA.

It is up to US, the citizens, to reverse our trade deficit and to put maximum pressure on DC to reduce our deficits.

Our reliance on China is more dangerous than terrorism and our reliance on foreign oil combined. They are proving that they will use the withholding of critical rare earth elements as a power ploy to extract economic concessions.

Think about the barrel that puts us over? Our military might is therefore meaningless. Our technology is therefore meaningless. Our advanced economy is therefore meaningless. They can and will turn us off, or Japan off, like a switch turns off the lights.

Our leaders will sell China the rope to hang us with.

Last edited:
You do realize that for almost all that period unemployment was below 5%, right?

It takes years to train people and move millions of jobs. Remember, when Bush left office, jobs were hemorrhaging at the rate of 750,000 a MONTH.

American workers had jobs during the Bush years. Their job was to train the Chinese. I know. I did it at my company. They even had to bring the product back for a year because Chinese materials were so poor.

All those policies finally caught up and kicked in.

I can never understand why right wingers think things happen overnight. They really don't get it?

redean - do you buy any products made in China?

At this point, how can you not? Even the silicon used in you PC transistors come from China, even if the transistor doesn't.

At this point, how can you not? Even the silicon used in you PC transistors come from China, even if the transistor doesn't.

If you are so anti Jobs In China, then the you are a hypocrite if you buy products made in China.

The fact is, consumers in the U.S. have vastly increased purchasing power due to Chinese labor. As much as you decry jobs moving there, you benefit from it.

The real solution is to get rid of the crushing government burden which is destroying economic growth in the U.S. The main way China relates to that is how we are so much indebted to them.

As long as Obama continues on a spending binge which makes us more and more reliant on borrowing from China, jobs will shift towards China.

Just curious. What is it you think he's spending money on?

How can we know?

something like 80% of our Pharma products come from either finished product import or imported ingredients.
The majority of those pharma ingredients come from China with India being second.
Does you prescription drug container state country of origin for the contents?

Same with other ingredients used in the manufacture of products.

Last edited:

Expanding the size of to government so that it intrudes further into our personal and private lives.

If you are so anti Jobs In China, then the you are a hypocrite if you buy products made in China.

The fact is, consumers in the U.S. have vastly increased purchasing power due to Chinese labor. As much as you decry jobs moving there, you benefit from it.

The real solution is to get rid of the crushing government burden which is destroying economic growth in the U.S. The main way China relates to that is how we are so much indebted to them.

Since you asked it twice, I suspected you thought is was a clever "gotcha" question. I thought I would play along.

The truth is, you can't avoid "buying from China". As you can see from the following article, Republican policies were designed to make us dependent on China. I wonder how much it cost them? The Chinese I mean.

Rare Earths: China's Weapon

Rare earths, also known as "strategic metals," are a number of scarce elements necessary for many contemporary technologies, both military and civilian. Among the products implicated are wind turbines, hybrid cars, night-vision equipment, and radar.

Rare earths are scarce, not because they are not widespread, but because they are not normally found in high enough concentrations to make their exploitation economically feasible.

Over the last decade, China has emerged as the main producer and exporter of these elements, and currently supplies some 97% of world demand. This is a result both of its lower production costs, as well as the stricter regulatory and environmental policies in the United States. One key example is the closure of Mountain Pass Mine in California in 2002.

PanOrient News | Rare Earths: China's Weapon Too Soon

China raised concerns by reducing its export quotas for raw rare earth elements from 2005 through 2009, forcing foreign companies to buy more Chinese-made products containing or manufactured from rare earth elements.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/business/energy-environment/22rare.html?pagewanted=all

22rare-slide1-articleLarge.jpg

Why do I always get the impression the right wing defends anything to do with some corporation making a buck? Even at the expense of THIS country????

Since you asked it twice, I suspected you thought is was a clever "gotcha" question. I thought I would play along.

The truth is, you can't avoid "buying from China". As you can see from the following article, Republican policies were designed to make us dependent on China. I wonder how much it cost them? The Chinese I mean.

Rare earths, also known as "strategic metals," are a number of scarce elements necessary for many contemporary technologies, both military and civilian. Among the products implicated are wind turbines, hybrid cars, night-vision equipment, and radar.

Rare earths are scarce, not because they are not widespread, but because they are not normally found in high enough concentrations to make their exploitation economically feasible.

Over the last decade, China has emerged as the main producer and exporter of these elements, and currently supplies some 97% of world demand. This is a result both of its lower production costs, as well as the stricter regulatory and environmental policies in the United States. One key example is the closure of Mountain Pass Mine in California in 2002.

China raised concerns by reducing its export quotas for raw rare earth elements from 2005 through 2009, forcing foreign companies to buy more Chinese-made products containing or manufactured from rare earth elements.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/business/energy-environment/22rare.html?pagewanted=all

Why do I always get the impression the right wing defends anything to do with some corporation making a buck? Even at the expense of THIS country????

Cause it is true?

Not hard to tell what they value most.

Expanding the size of to government so that it intrudes further into our personal and private lives.

Yep jus like the Patriot Act.

We safe just still scared.

Here we go again: BOOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Bush didn't increase Federal Spending by 28% in less than two years. That is Obama's responsibility.

You really are dense.

Who cares if we do business with China if we also have our own vibrant economy in which jobs are created?

I thought you Lefties Cared About Humanity. Why shouldn't Chinese Peasants have a chance to have jobs?

It's Republicans who want to spend money going after the gays, limiting women's rights and wanting drug testing for people on unemployment.

It costs a lot to invade people's bedrooms and their private lives.

Just the lawsuits from fighting "magical creation" in science class has led to higher costs or schools skipping the teaching of science, which of course is expensive because of the damage it causes.

Besides, as I linked to before, the private sector has grown for the last eight months. Unemployment is higher because of the number of jobs lost "from the government". That means the government has actually gotten SMALLER under Obama. Not having money caused it.

Do you guys do any research EVER. You sit right in front of the Internet. USE IT!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep jus like the Patriot Act.

We safe just still scared.

Here we go again: BOOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Bush didn't increase Federal Spending by 28% in less than two years. That is Obama's responsibility.

I did not say that Bush did. Calm down now and breathe deeply, the blasphemy is past now.
Keep working on it and that knee jerk response will become more controllable.

Besides that might change once the TARP is finished up. Looks like it will work out to have been pretty cheap after all.

Last edited:
rdean:

Scuze me, but you won't find any posts of mine advocating government regulations over our private lives. Try again, bozo.

You are also quite ignorant regarding where jobs have been lost and have a very static pie worldview.

Forum List

Back