2 Years Ago Today I Got The Call

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
2 Years Ago Today I Got The Call...from the Hospice Team at the Nursing Home.

background: My mom had had a stroke 6 months before in September. It was now 3 months before I last saw last in December. I saw her in the Nursing Home in December. She had been in rehab since September and she was reportedly doing well enough, so I was waiting for December to see her. I was there for the whole month of December to see her,...and as she deteriorated I was devastated to realize this was it: The End for her, my mother. Everyone said she rebounded after I came on the scene. We had not seen each other for a little over 2 years. I knew from my own experience that it was a rebound only because my presence temporarily changed the dynamics. { Plus I'm an energetic and awesome person to have around ( :eusa_shhh: ) } It was definitely going to be a last meeting. I come back to the West Coast. (A childhood friend who is out here with me had his mom in the very same place passing on at same time. what are the odds of that? we were all like family growing up...dysfunctional and loving)

So two years ago today I get the call as I was preparing to go back for another month...it was now 6 months after what doctors call an 'event'

"People who are passing on sometimes cannot let go when they perceive unfinished business with people not present." - Hospice Staff - I was asked to get on the phone...and ask my mom to let go. I did. I told her I loved her. I told her everything was okay. I told her about a conversation I had with my younger brother as he lay dying on his death bed, a younger brother who had passed away 8 years before. All this after I had prepared everyone for me passing on first. I am one of the people we all read about who have faced death and walked out the other side. How ironic? Nothing was lost on me. Been there and back.

I have never been asked before or since then, to do something so painful in my whole life. Hopefully I never will be, but I have resigned myself to probably having to do so again. I'm one of those people. Yet, I would do it again if it meant helping to ease the pain and/or fear of somebody else I loved. I have a friend in Boston who is on dialysis and who has gone off the radar. I called his caregivers and it ain't good. The more things change the more they remain the same.

Life is never really easy. But life is all we have. Celebrate it.

Dante
:cool:
dD

Last edited:
To my younger brother who used to sing this song. He loved The Spinners. I would walk into our older brother's apt and there he would be using the mics and amps...

memories

[youtube]j6DWvWz3RT8[/youtube]
Like howdy doo, your tin soldiers, your clowns too
They're all laughing at you, I'm laughing at you too

Like basketball, 5 fouls and that was all
The games you really knew, yeah, why couldn't I beat you

In the middle of the room Got no time to count my sheep today

He was really into basketball before he got into other things.

I don't know how you handle it so well.

My family is still a mess over my Dad dying last month, well more then a month Jan 20th. 2013

Last edited:
[youtube]S2K8O-78Tw0[/youtube]

In a world like today
It's a rare occasion to be able
To see young mothers like the ones
That were around when I grew up
But they live on in memory
To quite a few of us
And this song is dedicated
To those who cherish that memory

Early one Sunday morning
Breakfast was on the table
There was no time to eat
She said to me, “Boy, hurry to Sunday school”

Filled with her load of glory
We learned the Holy story
She'll always have her dreams
Despite the things this troubled world can bring

Oh, Sadie
Don't you know we love you
Sweet Sadie
Place no one above you

Sweet Sadie (Well, well, well)
Living in the past
Some times it seems so funny
But no money will turn your life around

Sweeter than cotton candy
Stronger than papa's old brandy
Always that needed smile
Once in awhile she would break down and cry

Some times she'd be so happy
Just being with us and daddy
Standing the worst of times
Breaking the binds with just a simple song

Oh, Sadie (Oh, Sadie, baby)
Don't you know we love you (She'll love us all in a special way)
Sweet Sadie (Well, well, well)
Place no one above you

Sweet Sadie (Sweet Sadie livin' in the past)
Living in the past
Oh, she's never sinnin'
In love she's always winnin', yeah

Sadie (My, my, my, my, my)
Don't you know we love you (I love you, mama)
Sweet Sadie
Place no one above you (I just can't forget)

Sweet Sadie (How you gave me love, oh, Lord)
Living in the past
If there's a heaven up above
I know she's teaching angels how to love

Sadie (It's a mean world without you)
Don't you know we love you
Sweet Sadie (All the love you showed)
Place no one above you (Oh, I could never, ever doubt her lovely word)

Sweet Sadie
Living in the past
Ain't it funny that in the end it's not money
It's just the love

Ugh! Soppy and emotional...so unDante! :eek:

For the memory of your Brother, my 3 fav songs by them ;)

[ame=http://youtu.be/BPl68mhgxbM]YouTube - The Spinners - I'll Be Around - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/VZuCDFBuCZA]SPINNERS - Could It Be I'm Falling In Love ( VERY BEST OF THE SPINNERS) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/kKbADFJOCkU]The Spinners - Rubberband Man - YouTube[/ame]

My Dad died September 25, 2009. He had experienced a major heart attack and survived it. My sister, who was his caretaker for the previous 13 years, put him in a nursing home when he got out of the hospital. He had suffered a major stroke in 1999 and survived with little impairment, suffered a massive heart attack in 2009 and survived after six weeks in the hospital, but two weeks after being put in the nursing home, he died. He had them help him up out of his bed and went and sat in his easy chair before he died. They found him sitting there, dead, a half hour later. He was only 86 years old. I say "only" because his mother lived to 98, one aunt lived to 102 and another aunt lived to 109 years old.

I hadn't seen him in a week and was going to go visit him that evening. Too late. Ah, well, he didn't really seem to know who I was anymore, but still...I wish I'd gone to see him. I was his first born.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back