1st major surprise of the 2014 mid-terms: shake-up in Alaska

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Green%20Alaska%20Map%20Black.gif

A truly interesting development. The Alaska Democratic Party is dropping their gubernatorial candidate to form a fusion ticket with the Independent candidate:

Independent Bill Walker and Democrat Byron Mallott to run jointly for Alaska governor Alaska Dispatch

The Alaska Democratic Party broke with long tradition Monday when its central committee voted 89-2 to not field a gubernatorial ticket and instead put its weight behind the independent campaign of Bill Walker and Byron Mallott.

The vote to support the fusion ticket was contingent on Walker dropping his Republican Party affiliation. Mallott will quit as the Democratic Party’s nominee for governor, as will his running mate, state Sen. Hollis French. But Mallott will remain a Democrat, executive director Kay Brown said after the vote at party headquarters in a Spenard bungalow.

The resolution passed by the central committee calls on the party to not replace Mallott and French when they officially withdraw on Tuesday. It also directs the party to throw its full support behind the independent “Alaska First Unity ticket” of Walker for governor and Mallott for lieutenant governor, something the party could do under its rules only if Walker wasn’t registered with another party.

The vote took place after Walker and Mallott formally agreed to merge their campaigns following days of negotiations. The agreement required the lieutenant governor candidates for both men to withdraw -- French as the Democrat and Craig Fleener as Walker’s running mate.

So, three man race is going to become a two man race and this polling aggregate from Alaska is going to change very quickly:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2014 - Alaska Governor - Parnell vs. Mallott

This is Bill Walker's website:

Bill Walker Governor for Alaska

And the announcement from the Walker campaign:

Walker Mallot Camps Explore Unified Ticket

This proves that the Democratic Party is willing to initiate nonpartisan negotiations and back common-sense solutions to the problems we face. Why can't Wrongpublicans do the same?

Oh, right--you're too racist and determined to spark all-out class warfare to even care about doing something bipartisan.

• Banned
This proves that the Democratic Party is willing to initiate nonpartisan negotiations and back common-sense solutions to the problems we face. Why can't Wrongpublicans do the same?

Oh, right--you're too racist and determined to spark all-out class warfare to even care about doing something bipartisan.

I'm researching to see if this move is unprecedented, or not.

In Alaska politics, apparently, it is.

And Mark Begich had been advocating for a Unity Ticket for some time now.

The governor race in Arizona is looking surprisingly competitive as well.

I often see Arizona for the Democrats like I see Connecticut for the Republicans. Those states flirt with "the other guy", but at the end of the day, they go to bed with "their guy".

:lol:

Malloy is actually the first Democratic governor of Connecticut in 20 years. I think the GOP is narrowly going to win both of these races.

A truly interesting development. The Alaska Democratic Party is dropping their gubernatorial candidate to form a fusion ticket with the Independent candidate:

Independent Bill Walker and Democrat Byron Mallott to run jointly for Alaska governor Alaska Dispatch

The Alaska Democratic Party broke with long tradition Monday when its central committee voted 89-2 to not field a gubernatorial ticket and instead put its weight behind the independent campaign of Bill Walker and Byron Mallott.

The vote to support the fusion ticket was contingent on Walker dropping his Republican Party affiliation. Mallott will quit as the Democratic Party’s nominee for governor, as will his running mate, state Sen. Hollis French. But Mallott will remain a Democrat, executive director Kay Brown said after the vote at party headquarters in a Spenard bungalow.

The resolution passed by the central committee calls on the party to not replace Mallott and French when they officially withdraw on Tuesday. It also directs the party to throw its full support behind the independent “Alaska First Unity ticket” of Walker for governor and Mallott for lieutenant governor, something the party could do under its rules only if Walker wasn’t registered with another party.

The vote took place after Walker and Mallott formally agreed to merge their campaigns following days of negotiations. The agreement required the lieutenant governor candidates for both men to withdraw -- French as the Democrat and Craig Fleener as Walker’s running mate.

So, three man race is going to become a two man race and this polling aggregate from Alaska is going to change very quickly:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2014 - Alaska Governor - Parnell vs. Mallott

This is Bill Walker's website:

Bill Walker Governor for Alaska

And the announcement from the Walker campaign:

Walker Mallot Camps Explore Unified Ticket

I still think Parnell will be reelected.

I often see Arizona for the Democrats like I see Connecticut for the Republicans. Those states flirt with "the other guy", but at the end of the day, they go to bed with "their guy".

They elected Napolitano in 2002, which was otherwise a pro-GOP year...

The ultra-(ULTRA)-conservative state legislature is not currently popular in what is a moderate Arizona.

Malloy is actually the first Democratic governor of Connecticut in 20 years. I think the GOP is narrowly going to win both of these races.

I agree with you about Arizona and disagree with you about Connecticut. But your assessment of the electoral history of that state is indeed correct.

Forum List

Back