1883 on Paramount

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
This series is the beginning of the Yellowstone saga which follows the Dutton family into the Northwest. It is followed by 1923, and Yellowstone. It has a good script and is well done. Sam Elliott and Tim McGraw are outstanding. If you can stand the violence and a of bit of deviation from reality then you may find this entertaining. 24 wagons start the trip and they are down 4 when they reach Montana. 18 year old attractive girls did not ride around the prairie hearding cattle in the middle summer in sleeveless blouses and dresses flirting with every cowboy and Indian to come along. And the likelihood of two adults and a teenage girl on foot taking down 12 armed bandits on horseback is a real stretch of the imagination. However, even with it's flaws, I found the series worth watching, particularly if you plan to continue the saga.

This series is the beginning of the Yellowstone saga which follows the Dutton family into the Northwest. It is followed by 1923, and Yellowstone. It has a good script and is well done. Sam Elliott and Tim McGraw are outstanding. If you can stand the violence and a of bit of deviation from reality then you may find this entertaining. 24 wagons start the trip and they are down 4 when they reach Montana. 18 year old attractive girls did not ride around the prairie hearding cattle in the middle summer in sleeveless blouses and dresses flirting with every cowboy and Indian to come along. And the likelihood of two adults and a teenage girl on foot taking down 12 armed bandits on horseback is a real stretch of the imagination. However, even with it's flaws, I found the series worth watching, particularly if you plan to continue the saga.
I love it. I love the story of all the trials and tribulations Americans went through in the 1700's and 1800's to make it in this country.

There is a movie with John Wayne where his daughter comes home from college. The young college punk told John Wayne that his generation is "reactionary". So John Wayne said, "you mean when I was off driving cattle and half my herd died and we barely made it through the winter and your mother and I had to fight off indians....."

Is that reactionary? He asked the punk college kid who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. LOL.

God bless our forefathers for making this country what it is today. And to the indians and minorities who we used? Sorry.

I love it. I love the story of all the trials and tribulations Americans went through in the 1700's and 1800's to make it in this country.

There is a movie with John Wayne where his daughter comes home from college. The young college punk told John Wayne that his generation is "reactionary". So John Wayne said, "you mean when I was off driving cattle and half my herd died and we barely made it through the winter and your mother and I had to fight off indians....."

Is that reactionary? He asked the punk college kid who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. LOL.

God bless our forefathers for making this country what it is today. And to the indians and minorities who we used? Sorry.
I thought Isabel May as Elsa Dutton and who narrated the story was very good but I think the writers over did the role of Elsa. She seemed totally out place in a wagon train in 1883 but that was intentional as Elsa was the standout role. Sam Elliot, Shea Brennan was also very good. Although the series did not end as we might have hoped, the ending was perfect. I really liked the scene at end where Brennan got to ocean.

Last edited:
I liked 1883. Elsa's accent was a bit too overdone and she certainly developed into the camp slut very quickly. The romance with the young cowboy was sweet and touching. However, her grief was very short lived tumbling for the good looking Indian almost immediately. Other than that, it was pretty good.

1923 is not as good as either 1883 or the magnificent Yellowstone. The stars are Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren, both virtuosos. Stick with them and leave the substory of the Catholics and Indians alone. The entire continent of Europe appears to have been combed to find enough perverts and sadists to populate this catholic school.

I liked 1883. Elsa's accent was a bit too overdone and she certainly developed into the camp slut very quickly. The romance with the young cowboy was sweet and touching. However, her grief was very short lived tumbling for the good looking Indian almost immediately. Other than that, it was pretty good.

1923 is not as good as either 1883 or the magnificent Yellowstone. The stars are Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren, both virtuosos. Stick with them and leave the substory of the Catholics and Indians alone. The entire continent of Europe appears to have been combed to find enough perverts and sadists to populate this catholic school.

Agreed.
Hoping 1923 gets better as it gets further into the story.

It looks like the range war in the third episode will eliminate Harrison Ford from the the series which is needed. He’s a product of the 19th century. Hanging your neighbors in the 20th century over a border is out of place.

What was the name of that John Wayne movie ? I think I have seen all of his westerns and I don’t recall that one.

What was the name of that John Wayne movie ? I think I have seen all of his westerns and I don’t recall that one.
McLintock

Maureen O'Hare was his wife. She was mad at him because she thought he cheated on her. He finally had to put her in his place.

1673016520779.jpeg

Becky was his daughter. She had to be put in her place too

1673016574558.jpeg

MAGA

I enjoyed 1883 as well. I could never get into Yellowstone, didn't make it all they way through the 2nd episode, just struck me as a bad attempt at another Dallas. The 'native Americans' were particularly bad actors, or badly directed. Dark Winds, based on Tony Hillerman's Navajo detective books, is much better, and got picked up for a second season scheduled for June. The lead character played a secondary role in the third season of Fargo; he did okay in that but it wasn't that well written a role, but he's excellent in this one, and so is the supporting cast. Like the scenery, too. Treats Navajo culture rather well without being some idiot hippie crap.

I enjoyed 1883 as well. I could never get into Yellowstone, didn't make it all they way through the 2nd episode, just struck me as a bad attempt at another Dallas. The 'native Americans' were particularly bad actors, or badly directed. Dark Winds, based on Tony Hillerman's Navajo detective books, is much better, and got picked up for a second season scheduled for June. The lead character played a secondary role in the third season of Fargo; he did okay in that but it wasn't that well written a role, but he's excellent in this one, and so is the supporting cast. Like the scenery, too. Treats Navajo culture rather well without being some idiot hippie crap.
I'm a Tony Hillerman fan I liked Dark Winds and looking forward to season 2. I think it's on AMC+

What a great show. I just saw the episode where the black and gypsy hook up. I literally cried. What a great show!!!!

I thought Isabel May as Elsa Dutton and who narrated the story was very good but I think the writers over did the role of Elsa. She seemed totally out place in a wagon train in 1883 but that was intentional as Elsa was the standout role. Sam Elliot, Shea Brennan was also very good. Although the series did not end as we might have hoped, the ending was perfect. I really liked the scene at end where Brennan got to ocean.
I haven't seen the end yet. SHhhh. LOL

I haven't seen Elsa turn into a slut yet but she's just about to. The first man who flirted with her after her man died. She said "you're too pretty for me. I prefer to be the pretty one".

I still can't believe her dad is Tim McGraw. Just doesn't look like him at all.

I haven't seen the end yet. SHhhh. LOL
If you like this series, I would recommend the series The English on Prime. It is the story of Lady Cornelia Locke, (Emily Blunt) who seeks revenge on the man she sees as responsible for the death of her son. She comes to the America West alone from England in 1890 with nothing but iron will determination and a Pawnee Indian scout to rely on. It is beautifully filmed and Emily Blunt in the title role is excellent.

Last edited:
I enjoyed 1883 but imo 1923 sucks. I saw it all. Yellowstone was good too. Don't let them take you to the train station though.

I think season 2 of 1923 will be much better than season 1 as Spenser Dutton, who the Dutton's are counting on to save the ranch will return in season 2. Maybe then will see the 81 year old Harrison Ford becoming the wise and witty leader of the clan leaving the fighting to Spenser. Ford's role in the first season was so morose, one would assume he had a terminal case of hemorrhoids. Hopefully that will change in season 2 and we will see Ford giving the fine performances he is known for.

Last edited:
I think season 2 of 1923 will be much better than season 1 as Spenser Dutton, who the Dutton's are counting on to save the ranch will return in season 2. Maybe then will see Harrison Ford becoming the wise and witty leader of the clan leaving the fighting to Spenser. Ford's role in the first season was so morose, one would assume he had a terminal case of hemorrhoids. Hopefully that will change in season 2 and we will see Ford given the fine performances he is known for.
I forgot all about 1923. I'll have to catch up.

Forum List

Back