18 Suicides & 52 Rapes a Day in the Military

Discussion in 'Military' started by eots, Feb 6, 2012.

1. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr582DRIa-o&feature=g-all-u&context=G211f31aFAAAAAAAASAA]18 Suicides & 52 Rapes a Day in the Military - YouTube[/ame]

2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    If the video is claiming there are 18 suicides a day in the military it is fill of shit. There were 164 suicides in the military in 2011, which comes to approximately 0.4 a day.

3. Prevail

Prevail Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The numbers are unfortunately correct, its the subject group that it is incorrect. There are in fact, on average 18 Veterans who commit suicide everyday. This of course includes service members from conflicts besides Iraq and Afghanistan.
    I am hoping that you weren't setting out 164 suicides as a trivial number, but were instead pointing out the error of the original post. The fact is though that 164 only covers Active Duty Army suicides. When you factor in the National Guard and Reserve suicides this number jumps to 278 for 2011

There are also the other branches to consider. A quick search turned up a Marine Corp Suicide rate of 33 in 2011.

I'm sure that a little research would reveal the rates for the Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard as well.

When you compare this total to the fact that 367 soldiers were lost to hostile action in Operation Enduring Freedom in 2011, the numbers start do indeed rack up quickly.
    The sad reality is that a decade of fighting two conflicts have left many service members in precarious mental and physical health. While this sort of discussion often degenerates into political ballyhooing, the epidemic of Veteran suicide remains, regardless of the cause. This is a grave problem facing this nation, and we have an obligation to provide assistance to those who answer the call to service.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221

Not according to the military.

Army report: Suicide rate sets record; some alcohol abuse up 54 percent - CSMonitor.com

168 is not a trivial number by any means, but I like numbers that are accurate.

5. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    Wow. That's pretty low.
    How many in the civilian community?

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,941

18 a day would be 6570 a year. Not even remotely true.

As for rapes if that number were true that would be 18980 rapes a year, a number I call bullshit on.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965

I do too. Accuracy is vital to an informed opinion.

8. Prevail

Prevail Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I absolutely agree that correct numbers are crucial to making informed decisions. Unfortunately, my relatively recent entry onto this forum prevents me from posting my sources. This is especially frustrating as I have 3 sources that support the 168 number as Active Duty only. I would submit, that in this particular instance, the Christian Science Monitor erred. As soon as I am able, I will be happy to provide my links.

What I can do is provide this text from the DoD site:

"WASHINGTON, April 23, 2010 – With more than 6,000 veterans committing suicide every year –- and 98 veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan taking their own lives during fiscal 2009 alone -- the Department of Veterans Affairs is redoubling its outreach to veterans and promoting its toll-free suicide-prevention hotline.
    National statistics show that veterans constitute about 20 percent of the 30,000 to 32,000 U.S. deaths each year from suicide. Of an average of 18 veterans who commit suicide each day, about five receive care through the VA health-care system. More than 60 percent of those five had diagnosed mental-health conditions."

These figures are accepted among both the DoD and the VA, which I will gladly demonstrate once I have hit my ability to post links. At initial glance, the fact that Veterans make up 20% of the suicide rate might seem trivial, but remember how small of a percentage of Americans make up that Veteran population and it shows to be way out of line.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Not a problem, I just wanted to source my number. Not going to defend it just because I posted a link, I am always willing to learn.

10. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,351
    If one goes by the thread title only, which most would, then the focus would be only on active duty, not vets. :dunno:
    So basically the thread and video title is in error.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012