16 dead in Texas hot air balloon crash

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
Police responded to the report of a fiery car crash only to find it was a hot air balloon basket on fire with 16 dead onboard.

Hot air balloon crashes in Texas - CNN.com
There are no survivors in the crash of a hot air balloon Saturday in Lockhart, Texas, the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office said in a statement to CNN affiliate TWC News Austin.
The Federal Aviation Administration said there were 16 people on board.

[Original story, published at 12:20 p.m. ET]
A large hot-air balloon carrying at least 16 people caught fire in flight and crashed in a central Texas pasture Saturday morning, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The crash happened in Lockhart, about 30 miles south of Austin, around 7:40 a.m. CT, FAA representative Lynn Lunsford said.

On that note, too many live in fear as proved by the amount of fearful/fear-mongering posts on this forum plus those responding to news articles.

People don't fear being one of the 30,000+ dying on American roads every year**, but do fear becoming a victim of a terrorist attack or "gun violence" when the odds strongly against both for the vast majority of Americans.

**They feel they're safe drivers with nothing to fear and seem to ignore the fact a large portion of those deaths are caused by drunk drivers slamming into other cars.

On that note, too many live in fear as proved by the amount of fearful/fear-mongering posts on this forum plus those responding to news articles.

People don't fear being one of the 30,000+ dying on American roads every year**, but do fear becoming a victim of a terrorist attack or "gun violence" when the odds strongly against both for the vast majority of Americans.

**They feel they're safe drivers with nothing to fear and seem to ignore the fact a large portion of those deaths are caused by drunk drivers slamming into other cars.

not only drunk drivers but also inattentive drivers

texting snapchatting and more

i do a lot of driving out here in the Dakotas

not a day that goes by i see at least two cars with two wheels over the center line

with their faces buried in a phone texting

sometimes they dont even have a clue that i just past by them

Well I guess that this teaches me my lesson for the day: Hot air balloons are nothing like parachutes.

God bless you and the families of the victims always!!!

Holly

not a day that goes by i see at least two cars with two wheels over the center line

Agreed. The fact remaining that too many people live in fear of something highly unlikely to happen (such as having a hot air balloon basket fall on them) but ignore the fact the likely cause of their eventual death is the Big Mac they are chowing down upon.

article-1341683-0C952D21000005DC-539_468x467.jpg

Agreed. The fact remaining that too many people live in fear of something highly unlikely to happen (such as having a hot air balloon basket fall on them) but ignore the fact the likely cause of their eventual death is the Big Mac they are chowing down upon.

article-1341683-0C952D21000005DC-539_468x467.jpg

i got pretty overweight myself at one point

now i have shed 47 pounds another 30 to go

the best exercise is the push away

How sad. :( Not a very pleasant way to go.
As a pilot, I know things like this are messy, but except for a few seconds o heart-pounding excitement the sudden stop at the end is painless.

Catching on fire? Doesn't sound to me like they died immediately. I think being burned alive is probably one of the most horrible of ways to die.

I never saw a hot air balloon with seating for 16. How sad. Riding in one is still on my bucket list, though.

Police responded to the report of a fiery car crash only to find it was a hot air balloon basket on fire with 16 dead onboard.

Hot air balloon crashes in Texas - CNN.com
There are no survivors in the crash of a hot air balloon Saturday in Lockhart, Texas, the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office said in a statement to CNN affiliate TWC News Austin.
The Federal Aviation Administration said there were 16 people on board.

[Original story, published at 12:20 p.m. ET]
A large hot-air balloon carrying at least 16 people caught fire in flight and crashed in a central Texas pasture Saturday morning, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The crash happened in Lockhart, about 30 miles south of Austin, around 7:40 a.m. CT, FAA representative Lynn Lunsford said.

Damn. I was just there like 3 weeks ago. Such a tragedy.

As a pilot, I know things like this are messy, but except for a few seconds o heart-pounding excitement the sudden stop at the end is painless.

Catching on fire? Doesn't sound to me like they died immediately. I think being burned alive is probably one of the most horrible of ways to die.

No, they most likely fell. The silk catching fire is most likely scenario.

years ago when i lived in Minnesota

a guy was flying a Cessna 210 out of west Minneapolis with his family on a vacation

at 7000' the motor prop and all was ripped off the plane losing its center of gravity

the plane spiraled tail first

i imagine the souls on board had plenty of time to think things over before crashing next to a highway

a guy was flying a Cessna 210 out of west Minneapolis with his family on a vacation

at 7000' the motor prop and all was ripped off the plane losing its center of gravity

i imagine the souls on board had plenty of time to think things over before crashing next to a highway

That's horrible. I hope when I die, it's quick.

I never saw a hot air balloon with seating for 16. How sad. Riding in one is still on my bucket list, though.

Me either. I've ridden a few times. Most of the time 8 or so is as many as can go. Usually less.

That's horrible. I hope when I die, it's quick.

it was horrible

hope it is quick for me as well

Forum List

Back