15 dollars an hour = rise of the machines John Conner

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Who knew that it isn't SkyNet that is going to lead the destruction of the human race...but machines taking over the fast food industry...

The coming robot rights movement and the minimum wage « Hot Air

McDonald’s employees who picketed for a better living wage (whatever that means) may come to regret that decision. According to a Redditor, a McDonald’s in Illinois replaced their cashiers with machines. The machines appear to be the cousins of the ones found in grocery stores, big box stores, and CVS that allow customers to complete transactions.

How cost effective is replacing an organic employee with a mechanized one? According to an economic blog, and unsurprisingly, the machines likely come out on top in terms of pricing:

For a location open 24 hours: The cost of human cashiers, not counting benefits, $15/hour * 24 hours * 365 days/year = $131,400

For a location open 6AM to Midnight: $15/hour * 18 hours * 365 = $98,550.

For the machine to be cost effective, all it needs to do is cost less than $100,000 a year to buy and maintain.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/08/mcdonalds-replacing-cashiers-with-machines/

But cooks are safe from the machination of American fast food, right?

Not if companies like Momentum Machines has anything to do with it. “Our technology will democratize access to high quality food making it available to the masses,” their site claims. They also claim their burger making machines can, “do everything employees do except better” and that the machines reap such large labor savings, restaurants will be able to afford twice as fancy ingredients. Tempting little proposition they have there.

It is hard to enjoy that new 15 dollar an hour minimum wage when they get rid of that job...

Last edited:
I work in telecommuncations.Mainly telephone systems for business.
It's getting to the point where technicians aren't needed to maintain systems by going to a
customer site.Instead of having 5 techs go out into the field to troubleshoot failures all that is
needed is one tech in the office to access the systems remotely to see what the trouble is.

The industry has changed so much over the years and it will change so much more over the next five years.

Customers will purchase a system have it delivered and the customer will have their IT tech install,program and maintain it themselves.

I will not have a job soon.

maybe get a dirty job , I had dirty jobs most of my life . Worked on the railroad and in property management , building trades , mechanic , plumber . Made good money , course that's an opinion of mine but I have no regrets over money or my and families lifestyle . Problem though is that these dirty jobs are now going to people that are willing to work for less money and those people are being imported .

Who knew that it isn't SkyNet that is going to lead the destruction of the human race...but machines taking over the fast food industry...

The coming robot rights movement and the minimum wage « Hot Air

McDonald’s employees who picketed for a better living wage (whatever that means) may come to regret that decision. According to a Redditor, a McDonald’s in Illinois replaced their cashiers with machines. The machines appear to be the cousins of the ones found in grocery stores, big box stores, and CVS that allow customers to complete transactions.

How cost effective is replacing an organic employee with a mechanized one? According to an economic blog, and unsurprisingly, the machines likely come out on top in terms of pricing:

For a location open 24 hours: The cost of human cashiers, not counting benefits, $15/hour * 24 hours * 365 days/year = $131,400

For a location open 6AM to Midnight: $15/hour * 18 hours * 365 = $98,550.

For the machine to be cost effective, all it needs to do is cost less than $100,000 a year to buy and maintain.

McDonald's | Fast Food | Living Wage | McDonlad's Machines

But cooks are safe from the machination of American fast food, right?

Not if companies like Momentum Machines has anything to do with it. “Our technology will democratize access to high quality food making it available to the masses,” their site claims. They also claim their burger making machines can, “do everything employees do except better” and that the machines reap such large labor savings, restaurants will be able to afford twice as fancy ingredients. Tempting little proposition they have there.

It is hard to enjoy that new 15 dollar an hour minimum wage when they get rid of that job...
SpongeBob is screwed.

Reese: Defense network computers. New... powerful... hooked into everything, trusted to run it all. They say it got smart, a new order of intelligence. Then it saw all people as a threat, not just the ones on the other side. Decided our fate in a microsecond: extermination.

Sarah Connor: Did you see this war?

Kyle Reese: No. I grew up after........after they took over McDonalds...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088247/quotes

Last edited:
It had nothing to do with the employees picketing. They have been planning this for a couple of years. If anything it might have sped it up a bit.

If your job is simple enough that a machine can do it, you're on borrowed time. I gotta laugh at the fast food drones though by putting it on the fast track.

A while back I waited a half hour for a meal at Burger King. The drone said I should simply wait for it to be done. I don't think he was able to grasp the concept of fast food. I'd much rather order by an app on my phone and just pick it up at the window.

And there you have it.

The left wing, "I want it all but don't want to put any work in" lot, are as thick as pudding.
They have no clue they'll be replaced by a machine, so their lovely minimum wage will be a zero wage.
This happened in other industries, and will happen to the burger flippers if they continue on this stupid path.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuKkE1_jMHI]Vending Machine Food - Eric Meal Time #16 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oYsebohB90]Burger vending machine - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcHsmNvxhOI]??????????????????????Cheeseburger?Vending machine - YouTube[/ame]

Tru dat. Speaking of what has been happening for centuries. It is funny how the Leftytoon Progressives of today seem to forget that what goes around goes around. Remember the Automat craze?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx1E-kDpVQ0]The Automat - YouTube[/ame]

The original Automats were only in Philly and New York. Thanks to the Progressive looneytunes and their silly demands they are making a comeback. Hopefully the modern variations of them will be everywhere this time.

Interesting, I don't remember those but maybe not old enough and I didn't grow up in mainland US.

They have something similar in Holland called FEBO we used to eat at:

Febo.jpg

7102352281_4f6bb3da27_z.jpg

I work in telecommuncations.Mainly telephone systems for business.
It's getting to the point where technicians aren't needed to maintain systems by going to a
customer site.Instead of having 5 techs go out into the field to troubleshoot failures all that is
needed is one tech in the office to access the systems remotely to see what the trouble is.

The industry has changed so much over the years and it will change so much more over the next five years.

Customers will purchase a system have it delivered and the customer will have their IT tech install,program and maintain it themselves.

I will not have a job soon.

If you are any good you'll get one of those IT jobs. If not you can work at McD's ... or maybe not.

Question for the right wing droolers on this thread:

(1) As technology supplants humans in the labor force, who will be spending money in the economy as workers are displaced and income approaches zero?

(2) Why in the world do you believe "leftyloon progressives" are less productive than the right wing droolers? In my travels--and I travel extensively--the wealthiest, most productive, and busiest places are in blue liberal states. The laziest, most run-down places are "conservative" red states.

Blue states continue to support red ones, because blue states spend, invest, and circulate money within their economies. Red states tend to stifle the flow of money and suppress spending.

A kiosk, a robot, and a couple of tech guys to make sure it runs smoothly is all you need. It's funny as hell.

"Oh, I'm a single black mom (surprise) and I can't live on my 8 bucks an hour at the drive through window". You should have considered that before spreading your legs.

You earn what your worth, and if you're working fast food then that ain't much.

Interesting, I don't remember those but maybe not old enough and I didn't grow up in mainland US.

They were fantastic. And low tech. You put your money in whatever slot held the item you wanted. There was a kitchen in the back who kept it full. The new ones should be the same way.

Last edited:
It's not just McDonald's.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Teo6veZOg]Fully Automated Restaurant Video.flv - YouTube[/ame]

Question for the right wing droolers on this thread:
[MENTION=38998]Freemason9[/MENTION] Right wing drooler reporting for duty sir and my drool bucket is freshly emptied too, so I'm ready to go!

(1) As technology supplants humans in the labor force, who will be spending money in the economy as workers are displaced and income approaches zero?

That is a problem. Look at where most opposition to illegal immigration comes from - the right. Even on legal immigration the dissenters are found on the right. This anti-immigration faction has long been arguing that we need to do two things - increase labor scarcity, thereby increasing wages for workers (with the side-effect of lowering income inequality) and pushing labor up the value chain by roboticizing low value labor. We lost that debate. Democrats freaking love to import a new people to bring their multicultural vision to fruition and they love to import a new dependent class who will vote for Democrats and give nice, liberal white ladies jobs as social workers and administrators of non-profits and government programs focused on helping this dependent class.

So I'm not really seeing why Republicans should be held to account for outcomes which many Republicans are against. Can you explain why I need to answer for the policies liberals favor? Ok, let's disallow the favorite liberal go-to tactic of not accepting blame and blaming President Bush instead. You guys want more immigrants, you guys want more poor immigrants, you guys want more multicultural immigrants, you guys say it's mean to deport 20 million people who have only an 8th grade education or less from Central American schools.

You want a solution? Deport people. Stop cold all immigration. Dry up labor markets so that employers have to start paying people more. This will accelerate the move to capital equipment replacing low value labor. We don't need 20 to 50 million peasants in one of the world's highest cost of living and most technologically sophisticated societies. Why do we need lettuce pickers here? The only reason a lettuce farm is economical is because society indirectly subsidizes the labor on that farm. Import the lettuce from abroad and simultaneously do away with all the subsidies to the lettuce pickers. Alternatively mechanize that farm to replace the peon labor. This creates downstream employment for robot manufacturers and technicians. Keep pushing the labor up the value ladder.

But you guys don't want to deport 20 million people, you guys are opening the border to 20 million more poor peasants from Latin America. This is insane, or that's how it seems to us inbred mouth-breathing droolers in Right Wing America. But I'm sure that your plan for all these peasants makes terrific liberal sense that we're just not intelligent enough to understand.

(2) Why in the world do you believe "leftyloon progressives" are less productive than the right wing droolers? In my travels--and I travel extensively--the wealthiest, most productive, and busiest places are in blue liberal states. The laziest, most run-down places are "conservative" red states.

And most of those red states are saddled with hugely dysfunctional black populations. There is a huge carrying cost to paying for social dysfunction and low human capital. Look, I can give credit where it is due, liberal cities like San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Portland have done a remarkable subrosa job of ethnic cleansing their cities of blacks. Black population is falling in each city and this delivers benefits from reduced carrying costs. Your zoning innovations, your high cost of living tactics all work wonders at achieving that unmentioned goal. Bravo.

Your second innovation is to concentrate value transference industries in the big cities. We see this best play out in fields like finance and marketing, where a broker or investment banker or a product manager or marketing executive earn vastly more than the operations research engineer heading the factory or the civil engineer building a dam or a road or the structural engineer building a bridge or the computer engineer writing code for an innovative product. You see there is value creation and their is value capture and they're not proportional. The value created by a public relations executive is grossly over-counted in terms of salary paid compared to the value of the product engineer.

Then there's the third tactic that Blue States are very good at - exploiting government in order to enrich themselves via rent-seeking arrangements. This is DC as a company town. All those lobbyists actually produce no value at all but they are well rewarded for corrupting government so that value can be extracted from one region or one industry or one consumer sector and be directed to those who pay for the lobbying. I shudder to think what Blue megapolises would look like if we stripped revenue from rent-seeking arrangements out of the picture.

And the last point here is that these Blue paradises have the highest income inequality in the land. Those productive people in the heartland are mainly found in the suburbs, not the inner cities and not in the black communities (blacks are vastly over-represented in the government employee ranks). With the value transference industries heavily concentrated in the Blue States, a high cost of living making middle class jobs difficult to sustain, the expected outcome is exactly what we see - vast income inequality - and this divorced from actual value production.

Hey, my drool bucket is close to overflowing and my buck-toothed sister/wife hates it when my drool hits the floor, so I gotta go and empty that bucket. See ya.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back