13th Amendment Loophole

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
Here is a text of the thirteenth amendment:

"Section 1​

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2​

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

Anybody see the ginormous loophole? That loophole is being exploited to the fullest today. "except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted". You can be convicted of jaywalking and forced to 99 years of hard labor and there is nothing unconstitutional about it based on the 13th amendment alone. All a local or state government has to do is create a law that prohibits an action that people commit on a regular basis.

perhaps but that isnt the way it works

There are other laws and constitutional protections than the 13th amendment. This thread is only about the 13th amendment. There is nothing in the 13th amendment that would stop the government from obligating me to work if I am convicted of a crime.

Work requirements are usually a condition of probation. If the person does not work then they are less likely to have the money they need to pay the courts. This loophole is being used today by local governments to fund the operation of the courts. It is involuntary servitude legally conducted in every state in the United States at this time.

Entire books and documentaries have been made about how this loophole in the 13th amendment was used to continue slavery in the following decades after slavery was made illegal.

I'm seeing this statement: "Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation." In other words, it would take an act of Congress to give someone 99 years for jaywalking.

Forum List

Back