11 Trillion Gallons of Water Force Small Government Cons to Go Begging

Wrong, I'm looking for a reasonable explanation why they went unprepared....

What part of 'worst rain in 1,000 years' do you not understand? SC has NEVER had this much rain before. Insurance companies did not even offer flood insurance for the areas that were flooded because it had NEVER happened and the thought of it happened was inconceivable to them.

I understand SC politicians (yes, GOP jackasses like Lindsey Graham) had reportedly voted in the past to deny federal funds to some disaster victims. On behalf of most Conservatives and about all SC residents, we apologize for Graham....

That being said, what we have been witnessing is how states and citizens should respond rather than completely depending on the federal government. Power line crews, 1st Responders, and construction crews came from surrounding states NC and Georgia, water was sent in from states much further out as STATES rallied to support SC victims. SC citizens who were not effected by the storm put people up in their houses, fed them, helped them empty their houses, tear out sheet rock, and begin doing repairs.

The federal government is not the end all-be all on which our entire survival depends. SC, and other states pulling together to support them, are showing how a nation / community can come together without the federal govt.

SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO La & LSU:
The LSU-Univ of SC game, that was supposed to be a 'home' game for SC, was played in LSU's Death Valley stadium, notorious for being one of the loudest stadiums in college football due to the home crowd. Since it was to be a SC 'home' game, the coach asked the fans not to cheer as loud as they normally do so they would not have the 'home-field' '12th' man advantage...and the crowd agreed. SC's band could not travel, so the LSU band learned and played all of the SC Band's songs and played as if they were the SC band almost all game. The display of sportsmanship throughout the game was outstanding, and after the game during the interview with LSU's top RB he said LSU and the people of La were with SC and that he was auctioning off his jersey and sending the profits for the recovery effort in SC!

Way to go, LSU!

"Insurance companies did not even offer flood insurance for the areas that were flooded because it had NEVER happened and the thought of it happened was inconceivable to them."

MORE OF YOUR RIGHT WING BS. FLOOD INSURANCE IS OFFERED ANYWHERE LIAR

South Carolina Flood Insurance | South Carolina Homeowners Flood Insurance Policy Experts

Private flood insurance now available in South Carolina

South Carolina Flood Insurance to Protect Your S.C. Home – Get Free Quote

What do the Flood Zones Mean?

Moderate to Low Risk Areas
Shaded Zone X: Areas of 500-year flood; areas of 100-year flood with average depths of less than 1 foot or with drainage areas less than 1 square mile; and areas protected by levees from 100-year flood.
Zone X: Areas determined to be outside 500-year flood plain.

High Risk Areas
Zone A: No base flood elevations determined.
Zone AE: Base flood elevations determined.
Zone AH: Flood depths of 1 to 3 feet (usually areas of ponding); base flood elevations determined.
Zone AO: Flood depths of 1 to 3 feet (usually sheet flow on sloping terrain); average depths determined. For areas of alluvial fan flooding, velocities also determined.
Zone A99: To be protected from 100-year flood by Federal flood protection system under construction; no base flood elevations determined.

High Risk - Coastal Areas
Zone V: Coastal flood with velocity hazard (wave action); no base flood elevations determined.
Zone VE: Coastal flood with velocity hazard (wave action); base flood elevations determined.

Undetermined Risk Areas
Zone D: Areas in which flood hazards are undetermined, but possible.

Charleston, SC - Official Website - Flood Zones

I say come up with the money yourselves and prove your point. Can't be that hard could it? Why not close DMV offices in black districts, or cut SNAP benefits? Surely these smart people have an answer that precludes asking for help, what were they going to do if something happened before this?

"There's a peculiar irony occurring in South Carolina as the state gets hammered by historic floods and its GOP "small-government" conservatives, who fervently despise the federal government, are now begging the "big, bloated" feds for desperately needed disaster relief.

Presidential contender and South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham, as well as most of the South Carolina legislative delegation, voted against the Hurricane Sandy disaster relief bill not too long ago. Of course, now that Sen. Graham's folks need help, he is pressing for the quick release of federal dollars.

When asked about why he voted against disaster relief for those affected by Hurricane Sandy, Graham suddenly developed a rare form of conveniently timed legislative amnesia.

Hopefully, the people of South Carolina won't suffer the same apathetic procrastination that first responders got when they requested help after being diagnosed with a myriad of lung ailments during the years following 9/11 in New York.

Conservative politicians seem to love heroes, but don't appear to like helping them after their heroic acts. It's reminiscent of how conservative hawks love to go to war, but don't like funding the Veteran's Administration.

Helping people in need, especially during disasters, has traditionally been seen as an appropriate and expected role for the federal government. Well, until the GOP hard-liners decided that vilifying the federal government should be the new national pastime; just as they've fought hard to gerrymander districts to ensure that they get voted into the very institution they swear they hate." Hating the federal government is 'cool' until you need help
The people there still pay taxes they have no choice in that so they deserve help with money they've paid in for centuries.
South Carolina, like most red states, takes in more federal money than they pay out.

That's due to the only blue district in the state running that number up.
No it's because red states, besides Texas, barely contribute to the total GDP.
Right.....That despite the fact that red states have growing economies and are adding jobs in droves. Jobs that are moving FROM BLUE STATES.
You have no argument as this relief is an essential function of government....And YOUR president was the one who issued the order to declare a state of emergency.
For your side this is a lose lose. You may go now.

SHOW ME BLUE STATES SHRINKING BUBBA?

When Red States Turn Blue: An Anticipatory History of the Next Twenty Years

Oh, OK, how could I argue with such a convincing rebuttal. LMAO

South Carolina is not only a "gimme" state in terms of taxation, it DEPENDS of the US government in terms of military contracts.

Military Contract Manufacturing in South Carolina (SC) on ThomasNet.com

They also have Military Bases.

South Carolina Military Bases | MilitaryBases.com

When the sequester was about to hit the Military? The GOP scrambled to get a "deal" going.

Why? It was going to crater their economies.

So you want to hold States responsible for federal military spending, which is the primary function of the feds, common defense?

Hold?

Dude.

These guys BEG for this spending. The whole military industrial complex is geared to funnel tax payer money to the hands of private interests.

These guys get obscenely wealthy on this cash.

That's in addition to the jobs that the spending provides.

Ain't capitalism great! If you think blue States don't beg for military bases and military contracts you're dreaming.

Again you're grabbing at straws. Many military installations are necessary because of geography especially where Navy and Air Force and Marines are indicated.

I didn't bring them up dummy, one of your comrades did. Talk to it.

South Carolina, like most red states, takes in more federal money than they pay out.

If that's true why do libs always say republicans are for the rich? If red states are so poor and all.
That's the million dollar question.

But the GOP knows it doesn't need its base to be rich. They just need them to hate outsiders, change, things that are different, and believe the GOP's lies about passing religious legislation.

If the republicans are so poor why do the democrats want to give them more free shit?

It doesn't make sense with the liberal narrative of the republicans favoring the rich and the democrats "caring" about the poor.

"why do the democrats want to give them more free shit?

It doesn't make sense with the liberal narrative of the republicans favoring the rich and the democrats "caring" about the poor.

LMAOROG

I am perfectly willing to provide South Carolina with Disaster relief ......as long as we have the spare money in our budget

Let me check.....

Nope actually, we owe $18 trillion. Maybe when that is paid off we can help South Carolina. Until then, maybe they can use private charities

I'm willing to pay your Social Security check as long as we have the spare money in our budget

Let me check.....

Nope actually, we owe $18 trillion. Maybe when that is paid off you can get a Social Security check. Until then, maybe you can use private charities

Sorry people pay into Social Security.....NOBODY pays so South Carolina can freeload off the taxpayer
I live in NJ...how is South Carolina my problem?
Let them pay for their own flooding. Not our problem

People also pay taxes for stuff like FEMA. Your belief that rich liberals in New York and New Jersey are entitled to FEMA money is hypocritical, callous, and mean spirited.

Furthermore, SS benefits have no direct tie with your contributions. There is no fund set aside with your money in it. It's all spent the minute the government receives it. Just like FEMA money, SS checks are taken directly from the general fund.

FEMA is for pussies

A responsible state like South Carolina should pay their own way
What are they a bunch of freeloaders?

So New York and New Jersey aren't responsible states? Are the populated by a bunch of free loaders?

It was South Carolina representatives who voted against disaster relief because...we can't afford it

Let them live under the same conditions

If that's true why do libs always say republicans are for the rich? If red states are so poor and all.
That's the million dollar question.

But the GOP knows it doesn't need its base to be rich. They just need them to hate outsiders, change, things that are different, and believe the GOP's lies about passing religious legislation.

How does importing cheap labor from third world countries impoverish the rich? If anything, it does the opposite. Democrats are screwing the working man by depressing his wages with cheap imported labor.
False. They're being realistic about dealing with a ver real problem. What do you think about outsourcing?

Good grief, I guess I can't expect much from a member of the party that wants to put up a freakin wall...

What "problem" are they being "realistic" about, Americans making too much money? That may be a problem for the rich, but it's not a problem for the typical American work. Competing with cheap imported foreign labor is the problem, and it's one create by Democrats.

Ronald Reagan calls for an open border with Mexico, 1980

The Bush administration, which is vowing to crack down on U.S. companies that hire illegal workers, virtually abandoned such employer sanctions before it began pushing to overhaul U.S. immigration laws last year, government statistics show.

Between 1999 and 2003, work-site enforcement operations were scaled back 95 percent by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which subsequently was merged into the Homeland Security Department. The number of employers prosecuted for unlawfully employing immigrants dropped from 182 in 1999 to four in 2003, and fines collected declined from $3.6 million to $212,000, according to federal statistics.

In 1999, the United States initiated fines against 417 companies. In 2004, it issued fine notices to three.

Illegal Hiring Is Rarely Penalized

YEAH, DEMS *shaking head*

I am perfectly willing to provide South Carolina with Disaster relief ......as long as we have the spare money in our budget

Let me check.....

Nope actually, we owe $18 trillion. Maybe when that is paid off we can help South Carolina. Until then, maybe they can use private charities

I'm willing to pay your Social Security check as long as we have the spare money in our budget

Let me check.....

Nope actually, we owe $18 trillion. Maybe when that is paid off you can get a Social Security check. Until then, maybe you can use private charities

Don't understand SS is OWED $2.8+ trillion of the debt thanks to Ronnie "saving SS" but using the excess payments to run Gov't to hide the tax cuts for the rich!

Let me check.....

Sorry people pay into Social Security.....NOBODY pays so South Carolina can freeload off the taxpayer
I live in NJ...how is South Carolina my problem?
Let them pay for their own flooding. Not our problem

People also pay taxes for stuff like FEMA. Your belief that rich liberals in New York and New Jersey are entitled to FEMA money is hypocritical, callous, and mean spirited.

Furthermore, SS benefits have no direct tie with your contributions. There is no fund set aside with your money in it. It's all spent the minute the government receives it. Just like FEMA money, SS checks are taken directly from the general fund.

FEMA is for pussies

A responsible state like South Carolina should pay their own way
What are they a bunch of freeloaders?

So New York and New Jersey aren't responsible states? Are the populated by a bunch of free loaders?

It was South Carolina representatives who voted against disaster relief because...we can't afford it

Let them live under the same conditions

Did you say the same thing about Katrina victims?

State Welfare Spending Rank for 2016 - Charts

Hmmmm Which States have the most money spent on Welfare?

Shocking.
California leads the pack...........at 38.5 BILLION A YEAR on Welfare.

and who's NUMBER 2.............drum role please................
New York at 26.4 BILLION A YEAR............

:funnyface:

You mean those states FUND THEIR WELFARE BECAUSE THEIR CARE ABOUT THEIR RESIDENTS? Shocking, it's NOT the bible thumping states who kick even kids off right?

Let me check.....

Let me check.....

Don't understand SS is OWED $2.8+ trillion of the debt thanks to Ronnie "saving SS" but using the excess payments to run Gov't to hide the tax cuts for the rich!

Every dime that was ever taxed for Social Security was spent the minute government received it. That didn't start with Ronald Reagan. It started with FDR.

The people there still pay taxes they have no choice in that so they deserve help with money they've paid in for centuries.

Right.....That despite the fact that red states have growing economies and are adding jobs in droves. Jobs that are moving FROM BLUE STATES.
You have no argument as this relief is an essential function of government....And YOUR president was the one who issued the order to declare a state of emergency.
For your side this is a lose lose. You may go now.

SHOW ME BLUE STATES SHRINKING BUBBA?

When Red States Turn Blue: An Anticipatory History of the Next Twenty Years

If you go by population changes, those losing population and, thus, electoral votes, were primarily Democrat leaning states. Those leaving don't leave because things are doing well. They get the hell out because they aren't.

State Welfare Spending Rank for 2016 - Charts

Hmmmm Which States have the most money spent on Welfare?

Shocking.
California leads the pack...........at 38.5 BILLION A YEAR on Welfare.

and who's NUMBER 2.............drum role please................
New York at 26.4 BILLION A YEAR............

:funnyface:

You mean those states FUND THEIR WELFARE BECAUSE THEIR CARE ABOUT THEIR RESIDENTS? Shocking, it's NOT the bible thumping states who kick even kids off right?

Welfare is funded on the national level through income taxes moron.

If they cared about their residents, they wouldn't keep them on the dependency plantation. I didn't kick my kids off, I raised them to be independent, personally responsible people that don't expect the government to take care of them. I doubt you can say the same thing about the 3 that call you baby daddy.

I say come up with the money yourselves and prove your point. Can't be that hard could it? Why not close DMV offices in black districts, or cut SNAP benefits? Surely these smart people have an answer that precludes asking for help, what were they going to do if something happened before this?

"There's a peculiar irony occurring in South Carolina as the state gets hammered by historic floods and its GOP "small-government" conservatives, who fervently despise the federal government, are now begging the "big, bloated" feds for desperately needed disaster relief.

Presidential contender and South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham, as well as most of the South Carolina legislative delegation, voted against the Hurricane Sandy disaster relief bill not too long ago. Of course, now that Sen. Graham's folks need help, he is pressing for the quick release of federal dollars.

When asked about why he voted against disaster relief for those affected by Hurricane Sandy, Graham suddenly developed a rare form of conveniently timed legislative amnesia.

Hopefully, the people of South Carolina won't suffer the same apathetic procrastination that first responders got when they requested help after being diagnosed with a myriad of lung ailments during the years following 9/11 in New York.

Conservative politicians seem to love heroes, but don't appear to like helping them after their heroic acts. It's reminiscent of how conservative hawks love to go to war, but don't like funding the Veteran's Administration.

Helping people in need, especially during disasters, has traditionally been seen as an appropriate and expected role for the federal government. Well, until the GOP hard-liners decided that vilifying the federal government should be the new national pastime; just as they've fought hard to gerrymander districts to ensure that they get voted into the very institution they swear they hate." Hating the federal government is 'cool' until you need help

Republican-leaning states get more in federal dollars than they pay in taxes.

Of the twenty worst states, 16 are either Republican dominated or conservative states. Let's go through the top twenty.

• New Mexico: $2.03
  • Mississippi: $2.02
  • Alaska: $1.84
  • Louisiana: $1.78
  • West Virginia: $1.76
  • North Dakota: $1.68
  • Alabama: $1.66
  • South Dakota: $1.53
  • Kentucky: $1.51
  • Virginia: $1.51
  • Montana: $1.47
  • Hawaii: $1.44
  • Maine: $1.41
  • Arkansas: $1.41
  • Oklahoma: $1.36
  • South Carolina: $1.35
  • Missouri: $1.32
  • Maryland: $1.30
  • Tennessee: $1.27
  • Idaho: $1.21
Does anyone else notice the overwhelming presence of northern "rugged individualist" states, like Alaska, the Dakotas and Montana, along with most of the South? Why it's almost like there's a pattern here or something.

Red States Are Welfare Queens
First of all who knows if that's a real list. Anyone can make up list.

Second, Lindsey graham is an idiot. I wish he would retire and shut up.

LMAOROG.. Real???
Did you mean really? Lol

Forum List

Back