10 states line up to sue over health bill, Florida AG says

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Modbert, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    10 states line up to sue over health bill, Florida AG says - CNN.com

Thoughts?

2. Oscar Wao

Oscar Wao Victory is Mine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The mandate provision will be found UC.

3. BolshevikHunter

BolshevikHunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Exqactly bro. That lunatic hag Nancy Pelosi tried to label this as something that our Founders would be proud of. The stupidity of this nutcase is unbelievable.This Frog Faced hack job is a disgrace. Nothing but a liar and a fraud. ~BH

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    This SCOTUS is a bit wacko as their last ruling on corporations proved. But should they challenge the congress and the president, h'm, I don't think they would. Precedent exists as we pay taxes, must have car insurance, pay SS, and basically obey the laws of the land. This piece is good, but I want to read a bit more.

National Journal Magazine - Is A Health Care Mandate Constitutional?

"Indeed, the Congressional Research Service, in a July 24 analysis of whether a mandate would be constitutional, cautioned that it is a "challenging" and "novel" question whether Congress may use the commerce clause "to require an individual to purchase a good or service."

So, why are most experts (and this columnist) so sure that the justices would uphold the mandate? And why do even Washington lawyers David Rivkin and Lee Casey -- the most prolific and among the most cogent critics of the mandate's constitutionality -- stop short of predicting that the Court would strike it down?

The answers shed light on how far constitutional jurisprudence has devolved -- inevitably, in my view -- into a mix of policy preferences, political prudence, and legal precedents that long ago departed from the actual words and original meaning of the Constitution."

Outlook: Is health-care reform unconstitutional? - washingtonpost.com

5. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,823
    Who knows? Florida elected Obama so I'm going to guess that they wanted health care reform.

And...Florida has been under a choke hold of Republicans forever...and our economy is lagging behind the other states.

I guess it comes down to this: can Republicans in Florida continue to sell fear and loathing? Will most Floridians prefer keeping their children covered?

6. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,053
    This seems vaguely familiar, the federal government dictating to the states, the states fighting back.

I know I read about this somewhere.

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,455
    My guess is that it will be struck down in court.....it always has

8. Oscar Wao

Oscar Wao Victory is Mine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You don't know why every Floridan who voted for Obama did so. It could have been the War; it could have been the economic crisis; it could have been Gitmo; it could have been gay rights; it could have been the environment; you.just.don't.know. And it's arrogant to assume.

9. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    wait. I thought Obama won because Palin was such an idiot.

10. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,176
    Yeah totally wacko. I mean why on earth would they say that Congress can make no law abridging the freedom of Speech? I mean what Amendment gives the Court authority to prevent Congress from telling us all what we can and cant say?

Please tell me the precedent that allows Congress to regulate the health care of people. Where has the Constitution or the Court ever allowed that?

No sane person would believe that because they can regulate interstate commerce that Congress can tell you what you must buy.

Experts? What experts? These same experts that are surprised every damn week by the economic numbers? Those ones?

The only way they can uphold this law is by ignoring the Constitution. And I expect they will just assume that it will be ignored.

Yeah heaven forbid we follow the Constitution. Youd think it was important or something.