10 states line up to sue over health bill, Florida AG says

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
10 states line up to sue over health bill, Florida AG says - CNN.com

CNN) -- Ten states plan to file a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the new health care reform bill, Florida's attorney general announced Monday.

Bill McCollum, the Republican attorney general under fellow Republican Gov. Charlie Crist, told a news conference that the lawsuit would be filed once President Obama signs the health care bill into law. He said he'll be joined by his counterparts in Alabama, Nebraska, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and Washington.

All of the attorneys general in the 10 states mentioned by McCollum are Republican, but McCollum said the lawsuit would be about the law and not politics.

Also Monday, Virginia's Republican attorney general said his state would file a lawsuit challenging the health care bill. It was unclear if Virginia would join the other states or proceed on its own.

McCollum also said that portions of the bill would force states to spend money they don't have, which he called a violation of the 10th Amendment to the Constitution.

"There's no way we can do what's required in this bill and still provide for education, for foster care, for the incarceration of prisoners, all the other things that are in this bill," he said.

McCollum said he expected the lawsuit to eventually reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

Thoughts?

This SCOTUS is a bit wacko as their last ruling on corporations proved. But should they challenge the congress and the president, h'm, I don't think they would. Precedent exists as we pay taxes, must have car insurance, pay SS, and basically obey the laws of the land. This piece is good, but I want to read a bit more.

National Journal Magazine - Is A Health Care Mandate Constitutional?

"Indeed, the Congressional Research Service, in a July 24 analysis of whether a mandate would be constitutional, cautioned that it is a "challenging" and "novel" question whether Congress may use the commerce clause "to require an individual to purchase a good or service."

So, why are most experts (and this columnist) so sure that the justices would uphold the mandate? And why do even Washington lawyers David Rivkin and Lee Casey -- the most prolific and among the most cogent critics of the mandate's constitutionality -- stop short of predicting that the Court would strike it down?

The answers shed light on how far constitutional jurisprudence has devolved -- inevitably, in my view -- into a mix of policy preferences, political prudence, and legal precedents that long ago departed from the actual words and original meaning of the Constitution."

Outlook: Is health-care reform unconstitutional? - washingtonpost.com

Who knows? Florida elected Obama so I'm going to guess that they wanted health care reform.

And...Florida has been under a choke hold of Republicans forever...and our economy is lagging behind the other states.

I guess it comes down to this: can Republicans in Florida continue to sell fear and loathing? Will most Floridians prefer keeping their children covered?

This seems vaguely familiar, the federal government dictating to the states, the states fighting back.

I know I read about this somewhere.

My guess is that it will be struck down in court.....it always has

Who knows? Florida elected Obama so I'm going to guess that they wanted health care reform.

And...Florida has been under a choke hold of Republicans forever...and our economy is lagging behind the other states.

I guess it comes down to this: can Republicans in Florida continue to sell fear and loathing? Will most Floridians prefer keeping their children covered?
You don't know why every Floridan who voted for Obama did so. It could have been the War; it could have been the economic crisis; it could have been Gitmo; it could have been gay rights; it could have been the environment; you.just.don't.know. And it's arrogant to assume.

wait. I thought Obama won because Palin was such an idiot.

This SCOTUS is a bit wacko as their last ruling on corporations proved. But should they challenge the congress and the president, h'm, I don't think they would. Precedent exists as we pay taxes, must have car insurance, pay SS, and basically obey the laws of the land. This piece is good, but I want to read a bit more.

Yeah totally wacko. I mean why on earth would they say that Congress can make no law abridging the freedom of Speech? I mean what Amendment gives the Court authority to prevent Congress from telling us all what we can and cant say?

Please tell me the precedent that allows Congress to regulate the health care of people. Where has the Constitution or the Court ever allowed that?

"Indeed, the Congressional Research Service, in a July 24 analysis of whether a mandate would be constitutional, cautioned that it is a "challenging" and "novel" question whether Congress may use the commerce clause "to require an individual to purchase a good or service."

No sane person would believe that because they can regulate interstate commerce that Congress can tell you what you must buy.

So, why are most experts (and this columnist) so sure that the justices would uphold the mandate? And why do even Washington lawyers David Rivkin and Lee Casey -- the most prolific and among the most cogent critics of the mandate's constitutionality -- stop short of predicting that the Court would strike it down?

Experts? What experts? These same experts that are surprised every damn week by the economic numbers? Those ones?

The only way they can uphold this law is by ignoring the Constitution. And I expect they will just assume that it will be ignored.

The answers shed light on how far constitutional jurisprudence has devolved -- inevitably, in my view -- into a mix of policy preferences, political prudence, and legal precedents that long ago departed from the actual words and original meaning of the Constitution."

Yeah heaven forbid we follow the Constitution. Youd think it was important or something.

National Journal Magazine - Is A Health Care Mandate Constitutional?

Outlook: Is health-care reform unconstitutional? - washingtonpost.com

Read a bit more?

It sounds like you haven't even started reading at all.

CNN) -- Ten states plan to file a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the new health care reform bill, Florida's attorney general announced Monday.

Bill McCollum, the Republican attorney general under fellow Republican Gov. Charlie Crist, told a news conference that the lawsuit would be filed once President Obama signs the health care bill into law. He said he'll be joined by his counterparts in Alabama, Nebraska, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and Washington.

All of the attorneys general in the 10 states mentioned by McCollum are Republican, but McCollum said the lawsuit would be about the law and not politics.

Also Monday, Virginia's Republican attorney general said his state would file a lawsuit challenging the health care bill. It was unclear if Virginia would join the other states or proceed on its own.

McCollum also said that portions of the bill would force states to spend money they don't have, which he called a violation of the 10th Amendment to the Constitution.

"There's no way we can do what's required in this bill and still provide for education, for foster care, for the incarceration of prisoners, all the other things that are in this bill," he said.

McCollum said he expected the lawsuit to eventually reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

Thoughts?
Isn't McCollum one of the guys who lost his seat in congress after Clinton's impeachment? He was obnoxious then too.

yeah, the hypocrite who cares about old people's health care. :lol:

While serving the House, McCollum was also selected for a variety of Republican leadership positions, including three terms as Vice Chairman of the House Republican Conference. McCollum voted eight times to cut Medicare, voted to raise the eligibility age for Medicare and Social Security [5] [6].

McCollum gained national attention as one of 15 members selected to serve on the House Committee to Investigate the Iran-Contra Affair, and, in 1998 – 1999, as one of the House Managers of President Bill Clinton's impeachment trial. Rather than seek reelection to the House in 2000, McCollum ran unsuccessfully for an open United States Senate seat, bringing to an end his 20-year Congressional career.

Bill McCollum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This right winger who backed wasting millions of Federal dollars attacking the Clintons and backing wasteful investigations, now wants to waste millions of state dollars?

GOP fiscal conservatism gone hog-wild!

Last edited:
Well Dante, under McCollum there would be no Medicare fraud. Because there would be no Medicare. :eusa_whistle:

While serving the House, McCollum was also selected for a variety of Republican leadership positions, including three terms as Vice Chairman of the House Republican Conference. McCollum voted eight times to cut Medicare, voted to raise the eligibility age for Medicare and Social Security [5] [6].

McCollum gained national attention as one of 15 members selected to serve on the House Committee to Investigate the Iran-Contra Affair, and, in 1998 – 1999, as one of the House Managers of President Bill Clinton's impeachment trial. Rather than seek reelection to the House in 2000, McCollum ran unsuccessfully for an open United States Senate seat, bringing to an end his 20-year Congressional career.

This right winger who backed wasting millions of Federal dollars attacking the Clintons and backing wasteful investigations, now wants to waste millions of state dollars?

I'll never forget those House Managers marching into the impeachment hearing in lock step. McCollum was particularly revolting. He lost reelection, thank God.

Well Dante, under McCollum there would be no Medicare fraud. Because there would be no Medicare. :eusa_whistle:

Thoughts?

hypocrites!!! and dishonest asswipes.

:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back