02 Diet

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by Cecilie1200, May 17, 2010.

1. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    So . . . my husband and I started a short, two-week version of the 02 diet today, and so far, we're really liking it (although a bit munchy).

The idea is to eat nothing but foods rich in antioxidants, which help the body rid itself of free radicals. It's supposed to help prevent disease, aid in memory and brain power, and boost weight loss. I've been reading from other sources that many of the foods on this diet are ALSO good for clearing up "cottage cheese thighs", aka cellulite.

Most of the food is pretty good, and simple to make. I was a little iffy on the Greek yogurt for breakfast, because it seemed a bit bitter to me. I'm thinking if I get a fat-free vanilla-flavored version instead of the plain one, that might make it okay. Meanwhile, I expect the careful portions to get me back to eating smaller portions in general, and I like the idea of cleansing some of the junk out of my system.

If anyone out there's heard about this diet plan and is curious about it, I'll be posting more as I go along. The two-week plan should drop about 5-10 pounds if I do it right. I don't own a scale because I don't believe in stressing about numbers, but it should be noticeable in how my jeans fit. :)

2. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,873
    If you can find Redwood Hill Farm goat milk yogurt in your area (Whole Foods carries it here), the vanilla flavor is fabulous - tastes like cheese cake!

I've never heard of this diet - what's the basic food plan?

3. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Take 500 grams of low fat curd cheese (0,3 % fat), mix it with 2 liter pure water.
    It tastes like nothing. If you want, you can throw a bit salt into that drink.
    I drink 2 liters of that every day.

4. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Diet and nutrition is an area of interest for me, so I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

I am a little leery on the whole "Free radical" bit, since it's a ketchy phrase that never really holds up to scientific scrutiny. I mean, your body generates bleach to kill bacteria and you create free radical simply through running oxygen through the TCA cycle to generate ATP.

However, if it reduces the amounts of sugars, fats, and salts people eat (IMO the real culprits behind poor health), then it's better than the crap most people eat on a daily basis.

5. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,873

Why?

6. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I think he is going for the "malnourishment diet" plus with some salt thrown in for the blood pressure.

7. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Well, for example, today we had a blackberry-pecan parfait for breakfast, A cup of fresh blackberries and some pecan pieces mixed with 3/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt. We had a morning snack of steamed asparagus with olive oil and lemon juice (there's a lot of lemon juice in this diet). Lunch was a Cobb salad with romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, deli-sliced turkey and ham, reduced-fat cheddar cheese, and avocado with grapeseed oil, lemon juice, and dill drizzled on it (SOO good). Afternoon snack was half a peach with cottage cheese. And dinner was a grilled chicken breast with basil and more asparagus with Parmesan cheese.

Some of the other meals I can remember are toast with cottage cheese and avocado, omelets made with one whole egg and two egg whites and a variety of green veggies and cheese, flank steak with a berry sauce, like that. The idea is to cut out most carbs and concentrate on foods high in antioxidants and very nutrient-dense. Also, of course, you eat small portions and five times a day rather than three. Oh, and you drink 8 cups of water with a tablespoon of lemon juice per cup each day, and two cups of green tea. This being Arizona and warming up, we're drinking a lot more of both than that. I bought a case of diet green tea with citrus in bottles and another case of SoBe LifeWater, so that I can carry something with me while doing the census.

8. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    It was a tip to the OP to replace the yoghurt.
    Personally, I can't eat very much in the mornings, so I drink most of my breakfast.

500 Gram low fat curd cheese =
    - 400 KCal
    - 60 gram Protein
    - 20 gram Carbohydrate
    - 2,5 gram Fat
    - lots of Calcium, Zink and other minerals.

I mix it with 2 liters water, 1 Liter in the morning the rest in the evening.
    30 seconds mix by hand:
    (IT is also a very good thirst-eliminator, also with the salt)
    [​IMG]

9. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,873

Sounds healthy. My regular regime is much like this, except for the frequent small meals. Lean protein, lots of veggies, nuts, low-fat dairy, and berries - and lots of water - and a daily bottle of Kombucha. I just feel better with low to no carbs - and avoid the processed stuff.

10. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,873
    ekrem,

Interesting idea - I might try that in the hot weather. I'm not much of a breakfast eater either - generally have my yogurt between 10 and 11am. Coffee with milk earlier in the am.