Minn. State Rep (democrat) has said we should not allow women to have guns because the safeties are too complicated

How is this not causing outrage among women? To be told, especially by another woman, that you are too incompetent to operate a handgun? WTF??

That's part for the course. Democrat politicians despise the electorate.

They all have thumb safeties.
Colt made a DAO they called a Government Model that didn't have a thumb safety or grip safety, and it resembled a 1911 in a superficial way. They only made them for a couple years.

They also made a few DA/SA Double Eagles that had a decocking lever like a Sig, but again no thumb or grip safety.

Last edited:
Colt made a few DAO's that didn't have a thumb safety, but I don't think they had the grip safety either.

They also made a few DA/SA's that had a decocking lever like a Sig but again, no grip safety.

I have not seen those variants. But I guess a gun that popular for over 100 years would see some mods.

Mine has the thumb safety and the grip safety. And my girlfriend, bless her heart, can work those complicated safeties just fine.

I have not seen those variants. But I guess a gun that popular for over 100 years would see some mods.

Mine has the thumb safety and the grip safety. And my girlfriend, bless her heart, can work those complicated safeties just fine.
I have a Kimber UCII. Standard 1911 pattern but in a compact package.

Since the grip safety blocks the trigger on 1911's, DAO's and SA/DA's don't use it- those guns have a completely different trigger mechanism.

Never seen a 1911 type without a thumb safety. A grip safety alone would take the gun off 'safe' as soon as you picked it up. Not a good idea to always be off-safe with a SA pistol and it's short trigger pull.

Okay with no safeties for a SA/DA or revolver that takes some work to cock the hammer. Or the glock with a trigger halfway between SA and DA, but has a trigger safety.

A SA with no manual safety has to be carried empty chamber, and that's slow to get into action (and takes 2 hands).

There's a thumb lock that is used to hold receiver open. It's not a safety of any kind.
Um, that's the slide lock/release.

If it's a 1911, it has a thumb safety that locks the slide in battery and prevents the hammer from dropping.

colt thumb safety.jpg

Um, that's the slide lock/release.

If it's a 1911, it has a thumb safety that locks the slide in battery and prevents the hammer from dropping.

View attachment 943301
OK, mine has that. I've never used it. It won't go into place unless you cock the hammer back. Does anyone cock the hammer back on a semi-auto? I'll try it at the range to see what benefit there is.

It doesn't take long before you are hitting the safety with your thumb as you draw.
It's the natural thumb position if you are gripping the gun properly. You shouldn't have to reposition your grip to operate the safety.

They aren't easy to disengage- it's not something that can be done unintentionally.

OK, mine has that. I've never used it. It won't go into place unless you cock the hammer back. Does anyone cock the hammer back on a semi-auto? I'll try it at the range to see what benefit there is.
You don't know how to operate your gun?

When the slide goes into battery, the hammer is back. If the mag is not empty, there is a round in the chamber. Engaging the safety puts the gun in safe.

If the mag is empty, the slide will not go into battery unless you operate the slide release.

You don't have to cock the hammer to fire, it's already cocked. You release the safety and pull the trigger.

1911's are designed to be carried "cocked and locked". If you carry it safety off, you have to leave the chamber empty, and rack the slide before you shoot. That is a two-handed operation.

You don't know how to operate your gun?

When the slide goes into battery, the hammer is back. If the mag is not empty, there is a round in the chamber. Engaging the safety puts the gun in safe.

If the mag is empty, the slide will not go into battery unless you operate the slide release.

You don't have to cock the hammer to fire, it's already cocked. You release the safety and pull the trigger.

1911's are designed to be carried "cocked and locked". If you carry it safety off, you have to leave the chamber empty, and rack the slide before you shoot. That is a two-handed operation.
I suppose there might be a little more accuracy with the hammer cocked for the first shot. I carry in mode two, unless I'm in a main street gun battle at high noon. I can still rack a bullet and shoot 5 times in the blink of an eye, due to much practice.

I'm glad that you taught me something about my gun, even though I won't be using it. Carrying cocked and locked sounds like a good way to shoot yourself.

I suppose there might be a little more accuracy with the hammer cocked for the first shot. I carry in mode two, unless I'm in a main street gun battle at high noon. I can still rack a bullet and shoot 5 times in the blink of an eye, due to much practice.
You cannot shoot that gun unless the hammer is cocked. Racking the slide cocks the hammer- there is no change in trigger pull from the first to the second shot on a single action pistol.

You can carry it hammer down and safety off with an empty chamber, and that is safe, but 1911's were not designed to be carried that way. That is known as "condition 3". Hammer down on a loaded chamber is known as "condition 2"and that is not a safe carry mode with a 1911.

They are perfectly safe to carry the way they are designed, known as "condition 1" aka "cocked and locked".

All 1911's have at least 2 safeties, many have 3. Grip safety, thumb safety, firing pin block.
I'm glad that you taught me something about my gun, even though I won't be using it. Carrying cocked and locked sounds like a good way to shoot yourself.
Not understanding your weapon, and not knowing how to properly handle it is the best way to shoot yourself.

Not understanding your weapon, and not knowing how to properly handle it is the best way to shoot yourself.
I handle it just fine the way that I prefer to carry it. Empty chamber, hammer down, seems like the safest way to me. I'm not in a war zone yet, and racking the slide manually can make people turn and run. Then I don't have to get a tear drop tattooed on my face.

I handle it just fine the way that I prefer to carry it. Empty chamber, hammer down, seems like the safest way to me. I'm not in a war zone yet, and racking the slide manually can make people turn and run. Then I don't have to get a tear drop tattooed on my face.
There is nothing unsafe about carrying it that way, it's just slower to get into action and it takes two hands. If the bad guy has hold of one of your arms, you are in trouble.

There is also nothing unsafe about carrying it the way it was designed, and it has the advantage of being faster to employ and only requires one hand.

There is nothing unsafe about carrying it that way, it's just slower to get into action and it takes two hands. If the bad guy has hold of one of your arms, you are in trouble.

There is also nothing unsafe about carrying it the way it was designed, and it has the advantage of being faster to employ and only requires one hand.
If the bad guy has a hold of one of my arms, he's getting stabbed with my 9" switchblade knife, which has considerable more stealth, and is easily operated with one hand.

I don't tend to concern myself with bad guy attackers. If you could see me, you'd know why.

My wife can't. She cannot easily shoot a 1911, the safety is on the wrong side. (She's left-handed.)

Forum List

Back