Colt's first double action revolver

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I picked up a Colt "lightning" revolver in a local on-line auction today. It has a patent of 1877 and according to the frame numbers this one was manufactured in 1895 so it's exempt from ATF documents. The revolver has been re-nickeled and it obscures the colt barrel lettering. The hammer was apart from the revolver and in a small parts box. As I showed it to my wife she overturned the parts box in the car and I am still missing the hammer screw that may or may have not be furnished with the firearm. I figure a little less than $150 all in all was a pretty good price for a original Colt 1800's revolver anyway.

I picked up a Colt "lightning" revolver in a local on-line auction today. It has a patent of 1877 and according to the frame numbers this one was manufactured in 1895 so it's exempt from ATF documents. The revolver has been re-nickeled and it obscures the colt barrel lettering. The hammer was apart from the revolver and in a small parts box. As I showed it to my wife she overturned the parts box in the car and I am still missing the hammer screw that may or may have not be furnished with the firearm. I figure a little less than $150 all in all was a pretty good price for a original Colt 1800's revolver anyway.

An M1877? What caliber? Double Action? Like this one?

1714785671967.jpeg

The "lightning" is .38 and the "thunderer" is 41. My particular relic is the "lightning"

.38 Long Colt? Was that meant for the old black powder cartridges, or smokeless powder?

If you can get it fixed and it locks up good and tight, some companies do make newly-manufactured ammo for it. It would be a hoot to shoot that old thing. I've shot old top-break Iver Johnson .32 S&W and .38 S&W revolvers made in the late 1800's, they're fun to shoot if they're in tight condition.

I have a Colt M1878 "Frontier" in .38-40 about like this one condition-wise....Think of it as a large frame and much more robust Lightning.

us-velky-sa-da-revolver-colt-m1878-frontier-cal-38-40-wcf-top-stav-157142346.jpeg

It shoots well.....Despite the apparent difference in shape they fit just fine in M1873 "Peacemaker" holsters of the same barrel length.

As I showed it to my wife she overturned the parts box in the car and I am still missing the hammer screw
tried a magnet?

Still can't find the hammer screw. Apparently it's loss was the reason that the revolver was still in parts. It's the type of screw that has the threads near the head while the rest of it was like a pin, typical of complicated early Colt parts. Is there a way to remove nickel plating without destroying the weapon?

Still can't find the hammer screw. Apparently it's loss was the reason that the revolver was still in parts. It's the type of screw that has the threads near the head while the rest of it was like a pin, typical of complicated early Colt parts. Is there a way to remove nickel plating without destroying the weapon?

Be aware that many of the screws and such used on the 1877 as well as the 1878 are just 1873 parts.

Hell Colt was altering 1873 cylinders for the 1878 revolver to get shed of extra 1873 parts.

You need to talk to a gunsmith and/or a metal shop.

You need to talk to a gunsmith and/or a metal shop.
Believe it or not I found parts for the gun on the internet. With postage the screw costs me around $20. It's a gamble but it's worth it if it fits. I got the gun so cheap that I am toying with the idea of shipping it out to be restored by professionals like Trumble. People restore art and furniture and vintage firearms are also works of art.

Forum List

Back