Zone1 Catholic position on homosexuality

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Thoughts?

What's interesting is we don't have a hateful tirade here, as LGBTQ people might believe, we have a rational position supported by rational arguments.

The most basic of these is that the Catholic Church believes all sex acts should be open to the possibility of creating life.

That excludes much of what even heterosexuals are doing in bed.

Not much interest, hmmm.

The reason I post this is because the Methodists have recently caved on this issue. The Episcopalians caved long ago.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of homosexuals in the Catholic priesthood. It's a good place to hide.

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that's a pretty forceful declaration. Do you think being a Catholic or a Christian means you must hold others accountable to that declaration?

My thoughts are that's a pretty forceful declaration. Do you think being a Catholic or a Christian means you must hold others accountable to that declaration?
You don't understand anything about Catholicism or you wouldn't have asked that question.

Thoughts?
I agree with this policy. Scripture says that homosexuality is an abomination to God. Catholics just need to allow their clergy to marry so that they are not tempted to go after the nuns and little boys.

Thoughts?
My understanding of Catholicism is that sex is supposed to be for procreation only which is allegedly why Catholic women are not supposed to use birth control.

Then some number of years ago the Pope apparently was asked if it were permissible for a man to use a condom in order to prevent or protect himself from passing on a STI. The Pope said that this was permissible.

The circumstances as presented were for male prostitutes. If a man is having sex for money, that's not for procreation. If he's having sex with another man, that's not for procreation.

I haven't heard anything yet that says it's okay for women to use condoms to prevent pregnancy but men can use condoms so that they can have sex freely that isn't for the purpose of procreation, with other men AND the use of the condom protects them from contracting HIV or some other STI.

So what's the real deal?

It's all about behavior. You cannot control your inclinations. It is not sinful to BE a homosexual, but homosexual acts are sinful - seriously so. This simple concept either eludes Leftists, or they pretend not to understand it, but it applies to all manner of sin, in about the same way.

Married men see attractive women and are inclined to want to have sex with them. This is not a sin; it is a natural reaction that must be overcome. Everyone sees things (and people) that they want, but we are constrained by moral laws that allow it in some circumstances and prohibit it in others.

It is sinful to "covet." To covet is to want something that you may not have, to the exclusion of everyone else. When you covet your neighbor's spouse, you don't want someone like him/her, you want him/her, and to hell with their spouse.

As for religions that sanction gay marriage or ordain gay clergy, one can only suppose that they hope to add some butts in the seats by compromising Biblical morality. Nobody wins when that happens.

"Do not judge yet you be judged - By the same accord you judge others, you too will be judged."

Who are we to judge? Only God knows a person's heart.

There are a myriad of issues Catholics - Christians should be concerned about - The poor, the sick, the persecuted, the disabled, the weary and the lost.

If the behavior of a person takes up the majority of your mind, you also need help.

"Love God with all you heart, your mind and your soul". "Love your neighbor as yourself."

It is wrong to judge PEOPLE, but entirely appropriate to judge CONDUCT.

If a person lives a life that conspicuously advertises immoral conduct, even if that conduct is done in private, it is appropriate to condemn that conspicuous display. Specifically, when homosexuals MARRY, it is a public assertion of their intent to engage in immoral conduct. There is nothing wrong with shunning such a celebration.

Thoughts?
Catholicism follows the same bible except for the apocrypha. Therefore it’s really not uniquely Catholic, it’s Christian. OT and NT call homosexuality a sin. God is a God of procreation so yes it’s contrary to Gods design for humans. It is also the result of living in a fallen world IMHO. No it can’t be approved because the church should not condone sin, so I think the Catholics got it right.

That said we are under the NT not the OT where homosexuality was punishable by death. Jesus recognizes all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. This gives us compassion on our fellow sinner but not condone the sin. While I’m not against welcoming gays, I would not expect my church to openly sanction such unions and encourage it as some churches do.

Thoughts?
I may be wrong, of course, but hear tell that the current Pope has said that gay people are welcome to the Church as long as they are celibate, (Does that also include, uh, making love to oneself?)

2. Hear tell the Church has a lot of gay priests.

3. In fact, supposedly there was once a famous and powerful American cardinal during my 87 years who was in the closet and NOT celibate. He was notorious for trying to censor motion pictures.

Thoughts?
I think the Catholic Church has great wisdom

except for Francis and that kind of tom foolery

I may be wrong, of course, but hear tell that the current Pope has said that gay people are welcome to the Church as long as they are celibate, (Does that also include, uh, making love to oneself?)
Maybe the Rook will get us the catechism on that subject also

Or you can take my word for it: that is a MORTAL sin

will land you in Hell

God has revealed to me just how absolutely TRUE that is...

Yes, I know... I'm just some dumb schmuck on the internet... but still...

Forum List

Back