We need to move venus outwards to 90 million miles

We need to move venus outwards to 90 million miles using massive solar sails.. Solar sails hundreds of miles in size causing displacement that would allow for the planet to drift outwards. This would probably take hundreds of years, but we could place the planet into a cooler orbit and terraform the atmosphere into a more habitual one.

Ruling over two similar sized planets would be nice.

What impact would that have on Earth's orbit?

Right now Venus has a certain amount of gravitational pull on the Earth. It's not much compared to the Sun and Jupiter, but it has some. Put it in a different orbit and the Earth's orbit would change, have it close to Earth and it'd become much more of a force and might, potentially, mess things up for us.

Venus is hot due to the greenhouse effect, the dense atmosphere is just efficient at trapping the Sun's radiation.
No it isn't. It's hot because of the density of the atmosphere which is orders of magnitude greater than that of Earth.

Go take a science class.

No it isn't. It's hot because of the density of the atmosphere which is orders of magnitude greater than that of Earth.

Go take a science class.
:link:

Like this one:
Venus is the second planet from the Sun, but is still hotter than Mercury. This is because the atmosphere is very thick and is made up of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide. It also has traces of nitrogen, and the clouds on Venus are made up of sulphuric acid!​
Greenhouse gases allow heat energy from the Sun to pass through to the surface of Venus. Heat is then reflected and travels back towards space, but the gases trap the heat meaning it cannot escape, warming up the atmosphere. This happens at Earth in greenhouses, and a small amount of greenhouse gases in Earth’s atmosphere also trap heat, which has been linked to global warming. On Venus this happens through the entire atmosphere, meaning huge amounts of heat is trapped!​

Two similar sized planets on the same orbital path around the sun, what could go wrong ? I'm not sure the Sun puts out enough solar wind to move something the size of a planet no matter how big the sails not to mention the enormous amount of material needed.

How about a sun shade at the Lagrange point between the Sun and Venus after the temperature starts to get lower drop a bunch of bacteria onto the planet that converts CO2 to O2.

It's easy to get Venus to spiral out to Earth's orbit ... but without reverse thrust, she'll keep spiraling out ... solar sails won't stop Venus ...

Replace the word "easy" with the word "impossible".

How are you defining "impossible" ... astronomical consensus has planets moving back and forth all the time in our solar system ... if a Jupiter-sized asteroid slammed Venus, she would be ejected from the solar system ... easy ...

Solar winds. It's a propellant free way to slowly move a small payload across space. It's been tested and works. Trying to scale that up to move a planet would never work.

The idiot wanted to somehow anchor solar sails to the planet?
It's even dumber than it first appeared.

Impossible for us at our level of technology.

True ...

When was the last such event?
No, Venus would be vaporized.

Neutron Stars collide every couple of weeks ... so I'm guessing last Thursday ... and Venus vapor would be ejected from the solar system ... the solar system himself doesn't have an atmosphere ... vapor on an ejection trajectory will be ejected ...

I'm sorry you don't think the OP is a clever use of Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion ... I did ... just moving Venus out to Earth's orbit will cause her year to be equal to Earth's ... despite the mass difference ...

Oxygen is strictly the product of biology ... Venus never had any ...

It's pressure, like westwood said ...

Well that may be, however I have read before someere else that its belived Venus once had oceans. But there may have been somethig that slowed down and reversed its rotation, such as a planetary collision.

"Researchers think Venus used to be an Earth-like planet covered with oceans. The sun was cooler and dimmer billions of years ago, but as it became brighter and hotter, Venus' ocean started to evaporate. This evaporation is thought to have kicked off Venus' runaway greenhouse effect. Large amounts of water vapor, which is a greenhouse gas, evaporated from the oceans and wound up in the atmosphere, warming the planet and causing even more evaporation of the oceans.

Researchers think the evaporation of Venus' oceans triggered the halting of the planet's plate tectonics, the geologic system on Earth that causes the movement of pieces of a planet's crust. Plate tectonics also causes carbon in rock to be periodically pushed deep underground. Researchers think that without plate tectonics, Venus' carbon ended up in the planet's atmosphere, exacerbating the greenhouse effect and turning it into the extreme environment we know today."

Neutron Stars collide every couple of weeks ... so I'm guessing last Thursday ... and
Do you have a neutron star nearby?

Venus vapor would be ejected from the solar system ... the solar system himself doesn't have an atmosphere ... vapor on an ejection trajectory will be ejected ...
some would be ejected, some would fall into the sun or others planets and some would fall into orbit around the sun or a planet.

I'm sorry you don't think the OP is a clever use of Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion ... I did ... just moving Venus out to Earth's orbit will cause her year to be equal to Earth's ... despite the mass difference ...
The only way to move a planet is with a bigger planet or a star if you have one. You can't physically pull it, it is not a billiard ball, more akin to a lightly-packed, snowball.

Well that may be, however I have read before someere else that its belived Venus once had oceans. But there may have been somethig that slowed down and reversed its rotation, such as a planetary collision.

"Researchers think Venus used to be an Earth-like planet covered with oceans. The sun was cooler and dimmer billions of years ago, but as it became brighter and hotter, Venus' ocean started to evaporate. This evaporation is thought to have kicked off Venus' runaway greenhouse effect. Large amounts of water vapor, which is a greenhouse gas, evaporated from the oceans and wound up in the atmosphere, warming the planet and causing even more evaporation of the oceans.

Researchers think the evaporation of Venus' oceans triggered the halting of the planet's plate tectonics, the geologic system on Earth that causes the movement of pieces of a planet's crust. Plate tectonics also causes carbon in rock to be periodically pushed deep underground. Researchers think that without plate tectonics, Venus' carbon ended up in the planet's atmosphere, exacerbating the greenhouse effect and turning it into the extreme environment we know today."
I don't think we'll ever live on Mars but we could terraform Venus into a comfortable planet for us.

We need to move venus outwards to 90 million miles using massive solar sails.. Solar sails hundreds of miles in size causing displacement that would allow for the planet to drift outwards. This would probably take hundreds of years, but we could place the planet into a cooler orbit and terraform the atmosphere into a more habitual one.

Ruling over two similar sized planets would be nice.
What could possibly go wrong?

Forum List

Back