What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CDZ Zika..."much ado about nothing"...enough with the alarmist stance toward it

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting sick and tired of all this "to do" about the Zika virus, mainly because it's effects are little more than a bad cold/mild flu to adults, and it was, until this morning, just one of several diseases borne by mosquitoes. This morning, CNN reported that the CDC have identified a case of sexually transmitted Zika, and that makes it somewhat more disconcerting.

It's a virus. What can we actually do about it? Create a vaccine? Why? The virus' worst effects are quite easily avoided:
  • Don't go to Zika infested places while pregnant.
  • Abstain from having sex with pregnant women or women who intend to become pregnant if one has possibly been bitten by a Zika-carrying mosquito.
  • Use whatever form(s) of mosquito repellant tactics suit you.
If the virus becomes airborne transmittable, well, then the situation changes. For now, it's hardly deserving of all the press it's getting.

Rouge Rover

Reaction score
Absolutely. Please disregard the whole microcephaly thing. Nothing to see here.

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I am getting sick and tired of all this "to do" about the Zika virus, mainly because it's effects are little more than a bad cold/mild flu to adults, and it was, until this morning, just one of several diseases borne by mosquitoes. This morning, CNN reported that the CDC have identified a case of sexually transmitted Zika, and that makes it somewhat more disconcerting.

It's a virus. What can we actually do about it? Create a vaccine? Why? The virus' worst effects are quite easily avoided:
  • Abstain from having sex with pregnant women or women who intend to become pregnant if one has possibly been bitten by a Zika-carrying mosquito.
If the virus becomes airborne transmittable, well, then the situation changes. For now, it's hardly deserving of all the press it's getting.

Well the scare over Ebola fizzled out so they need to find something to scare the tards with.

OP
320 Years of History

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Reaction score

Well the scare over Ebola fizzled out so they need to find something to scare the tards with.

LOL

FA_Q2

Gold Member
Reaction score

Ebola actually had a reason to avoid though - it is highly fatal. Zika? Not so much. It is largely irrelevant.

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Reaction score

It's about politics, not science – there are those who will try to contrive 'Zika' in to a partisan weapon to use against their political opponents, as we saw with 'Ebola' in 2014.

OP
320 Years of History

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Reaction score
Two things:
  • If there is someone on here who is a medical doctor, can you please share why Zika is said to be a neurological disorder rather than an osteopathic one? Everything I've seen about the virus causes a disease that results in the skull being undersized relative to the size of the brain that it needs to contain. Does that not make it a disorder related to bone development not nerve and "gray matter" development?
  • Airlines: I heard today that some airlines are offering to waive the refund/change fees for trips to, for lack of a better term, "Zika zones." That seems like the right thing to do for pregnant women and their spouses. Outside of that, however, I think offering the waiver just fosters the hysteria related to Zika.

FA_Q2

Gold Member
Reaction score
Two things:
  • If there is someone on here who is a medical doctor, can you please share why Zika is said to be a neurological disorder rather than an osteopathic one? Everything I've seen about the virus causes a disease that results in the skull being undersized relative to the size of the brain that it needs to contain. Does that not make it a disorder related to bone development not nerve and "gray matter" development?
  • Airlines: I heard today that some airlines are offering to waive the refund/change fees for trips to, for lack of a better term, "Zika zones." That seems like the right thing to do for pregnant women and their spouses. Outside of that, however, I think offering the waiver just fosters the hysteria related to Zika.
How does it foster hysteria?

What it foster is good will between paying customers that are no longer able to safely travel because there are concerns about a viral outbreak and the company that they paid thousands to do so.

There is no 'fostering' hysteria IMHO. There are those that seek hysteria and those that do not. Modifying behavior to try and stop those that seek hysteria is not only ineffective but silly. I know that I am going to continue on and do what I need to/think is best no matter how many people chose to have their heads burst into flame over a non-issue. The converse is true as well, I am not going to sit around and do nothing when I think that action is necessary because everyone tells me it is just fine. The latter almost never happens though...

longknife

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Nothing more than another media attempt to create fear - and their own ratings!

PredFan

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Two things:

It has to do with brain development in utero. If the brain (part of the neurological system) under develops, then the skull will also underdevelop. For 99 percent of the time in utero, there is no hard bone in the skull plates. The soft skull develops only as far as the brain needs. If the brain is stunted, so will the skull be.

PredFan

Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is reason to be alarmed about the Zika virus. The birth defects specifically. You may be a man, or a woman past child bearing years and you may think "so what?" , but thousands of deformed and/or handicapped children hurts all of us at least financially.

It is the job of the CDC and the government to alert the public. IMO, the government should be limited and restricted quite a lot, but this is one of their jobs.

OP
320 Years of History

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Reaction score
How does it foster hysteria?

What it foster is good will between paying customers that are no longer able to safely travel because there are concerns about a viral outbreak and the company that they paid thousands to do so.

There is no 'fostering' hysteria IMHO. There are those that seek hysteria and those that do not. Modifying behavior to try and stop those that seek hysteria is not only ineffective but silly. I know that I am going to continue on and do what I need to/think is best no matter how many people chose to have their heads burst into flame over a non-issue. The converse is true as well, I am not going to sit around and do nothing when I think that action is necessary because everyone tells me it is just fine. The latter almost never happens though...

It fosters hysteria by suggesting that folks who have a clear financial interest in considering the potential implications of Zika on behalf of their customers find that it is a legitimate thing for anyone, not just pregnant women, to fear. It also does so by keeping Zika and its impacts in the headlines.

Yes, the airlines' actions foster goodwill for them. As I said, it's the right thing to do for pregnant women and their spouses/families. For the rest of the population, it's just ridiculous. Might it be that it be that airlines just don't want to deal with assessing who is pregnant (or trying to be) and have thus just offered the option to everyone? Yes, it could well be exactly that. I certainly wouldn't want to be bothered with that sort of verification, for trying to do so wouldn't look good, even though it's fair to try.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$515.00
Goal
$350.00

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List