You CAN eat green potatoes and mouldy bread

I think it's caused by sunburn. I think it is slightly toxic..they are members of the nightshade family. I think the leaves of potatoes are toxic.

I get eggs from someone local...chicken and duck eggs! I leave my eggs on the counter, they last longer.

I go through 5 dozen a month.
So, you pretty much get your eggs right from the coop? My wife's sister has chickens and they always have far too many eggs than they can use. We get a dozen or so every couple of weeks. No need to store them in the fridge if you don't wash them like the poultry industry in the US does. Something about making them clean and pristine makes the susceptible to spoilage if they aren't refrigerated.

There was an article on that I read when I was at an appointment waiting for something. Can't remember if it was a doctor, dentist, or masseuse. LOL

I know in most of the world since they don't have the FDA telling them how to process eggs, they just store them in baskets.
We had chickens and ducks growing up. They call the natural protection on the outside of eggs something...I can't remember. I buy my eggs once a month, usually. Sometimes twice a month. I take all she'll give me.
It's called the "bloom" and it naturally protects the egg from bacteria and air. If you do not wash you eggs until you use them, this coating protects them and prolongs freshness. I don't keep my eggs refrigerated and can use them weeks after they are laid, if they last that long. Refrigeration won't hurt the eggs as long as you don't wash them.
I've been looking into salt preserving bacon. If you do it right, after you have removed the water from the pork belly (Making it bacon), you can just hang it in your kitchen and use it as needed.

Have you done this?
Not since I was a child. But my daughter cures her own bacon. I do smoke meat, I particularly like smoked turkey. And when I can get my hands on it, I make a pretty mean smoked salmon.
My dad and I did smoked salmon. One year, we caught about 150 lbs of salmon out of Monterey Bay when one of his childhood friends came out to visit. This was like, 1975 or 76. We smoked the whole batch. Ate smoked Salmon for months. lol

I think it's caused by sunburn. I think it is slightly toxic..they are members of the nightshade family. I think the leaves of potatoes are toxic.

I get eggs from someone local...chicken and duck eggs! I leave my eggs on the counter, they last longer.

So, you pretty much get your eggs right from the coop? My wife's sister has chickens and they always have far too many eggs than they can use. We get a dozen or so every couple of weeks. No need to store them in the fridge if you don't wash them like the poultry industry in the US does. Something about making them clean and pristine makes the susceptible to spoilage if they aren't refrigerated.

There was an article on that I read when I was at an appointment waiting for something. Can't remember if it was a doctor, dentist, or masseuse. LOL

I know in most of the world since they don't have the FDA telling them how to process eggs, they just store them in baskets.
We had chickens and ducks growing up. They call the natural protection on the outside of eggs something...I can't remember. I buy my eggs once a month, usually. Sometimes twice a month. I take all she'll give me.
It's called the "bloom" and it naturally protects the egg from bacteria and air. If you do not wash you eggs until you use them, this coating protects them and prolongs freshness. I don't keep my eggs refrigerated and can use them weeks after they are laid, if they last that long. Refrigeration won't hurt the eggs as long as you don't wash them.
Yes the bloom!!! the bloom!
I prefer keeping them on the counter. They're easier to get to and they don't take up space in the fridge.
I have a basket I keep mine in. I just picked two more out of the coop. Making sure to use the oldest first is the trick.
We used to write the date on them when we gathered them.

Yes the bloom!!! the bloom!
I prefer keeping them on the counter. They're easier to get to and they don't take up space in the fridge.
I have a basket I keep mine in. I just picked two more out of the coop. Making sure to use the oldest first is the trick.
We used to write the date on them when we gathered them.
Good idea.

12518406-6942679-image-a-146_1555787484498.jpg

The amount of food thrown away evcry day is staggering.

While this article is UK-based, it still has value for the rest of the world.

Because of arcane rules and regulations, many places toss out good because they have exceeded a “to be sold by” date. And those same rules often bar them from donating them to food banks or charitable entities.

And the rich nations often toss what the poorer nations are begging for.

More than 720 million eggs are needlessly thrown away every year in the UK

Supermarkets have begun to remove best-before dates to tackle the problem

As best-before dates are not about safety but quality unlike the use-by dates

And, this provides a way for you to determine whether your eggs are still fresh.

12517680-6942679-image-a-141_1555784264662.jpg

Want to know if an egg is fresh? Simply put it, uncracked, in a bowl of water.

If it floats it is full of air which suggests it is no longer good to eat.

When eggs start to go off, the contents produce gas. The egg is still good to eat if it stands on one end, above right, at the bottom of the bowl.

If it sinks to the bottom and lies flat on its side, it is very fresh.

Much, much more @ You can eat green potatoes, mouldy bread and eggs a month out of date | Daily Mail Online
I've been told the green in the potatoes is poisonous. I've used them, but after cutting all the green parts off.
I never check the date on my eggs--if I crack one open and it doesn't stink, it's good to go in my book.

Green potatoes are unripe and are toxic, as are the above ground greens. They are nightshades and should be treated carefully. Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant are all also nightshades.

Unripe potatoes aren't green, they are just potatoes, only small. Potatoes don't really ripen, they just grow in size.
The green is caused when they are exposed to the sun. My mom called it sunburn. That's why when you grow potatoes, you have to go out and make sure they're always covered with dirt.

Is it safe to eat a green potato?
Okay. I'm not much of a potato farmer. My first try was a failure but I've learned a lot since then. My mom would always pare away the green parts of a potato, maybe that's where I get my misinformation.
My dad and his folks grew all kinds of potatoes. I never did until last year, though. I'm not a gardener. But my son dropped some potatoes out there, and they made it (could have knocked me over with a feather). We had enough for one meal, but they were really yummy lol.

I've been told the green in the potatoes is poisonous. I've used them, but after cutting all the green parts off.
I never check the date on my eggs--if I crack one open and it doesn't stink, it's good to go in my book.

Green potatoes are unripe and are toxic, as are the above ground greens. They are nightshades and should be treated carefully. Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant are all also nightshades.

Unripe potatoes aren't green, they are just potatoes, only small. Potatoes don't really ripen, they just grow in size.
The green is caused when they are exposed to the sun. My mom called it sunburn. That's why when you grow potatoes, you have to go out and make sure they're always covered with dirt.

Is it safe to eat a green potato?
Okay. I'm not much of a potato farmer. My first try was a failure but I've learned a lot since then. My mom would always pare away the green parts of a potato, maybe that's where I get my misinformation.
My dad and his folks grew all kinds of potatoes. I never did until last year, though. I'm not a gardener. But my son dropped some potatoes out there, and they made it (could have knocked me over with a feather). We had enough for one meal, but they were really yummy lol.
Somebody gave my partner some blue potatoes last Fall. They are just about ready to plant but it still freezes some nights. We usually don't plant outside until after Mother's Day here. I don't have my greenhouse up but when I finally get one built, I'll be able to start my plants a lot sooner, maybe even get a few tomatoes.

What is it with potatoes? lol

A physical rehab manager recently brought in ~7 50# bags of potatoes from a church for anyone who wanted some. They were gone in 1 day!

12518406-6942679-image-a-146_1555787484498.jpg

The amount of food thrown away evcry day is staggering.

While this article is UK-based, it still has value for the rest of the world.

Because of arcane rules and regulations, many places toss out good because they have exceeded a “to be sold by” date. And those same rules often bar them from donating them to food banks or charitable entities.

And the rich nations often toss what the poorer nations are begging for.

More than 720 million eggs are needlessly thrown away every year in the UK

Supermarkets have begun to remove best-before dates to tackle the problem

As best-before dates are not about safety but quality unlike the use-by dates

And, this provides a way for you to determine whether your eggs are still fresh.

12517680-6942679-image-a-141_1555784264662.jpg

Want to know if an egg is fresh? Simply put it, uncracked, in a bowl of water.

If it floats it is full of air which suggests it is no longer good to eat.

When eggs start to go off, the contents produce gas. The egg is still good to eat if it stands on one end, above right, at the bottom of the bowl.

If it sinks to the bottom and lies flat on its side, it is very fresh.

Much, much more @ You can eat green potatoes, mouldy bread and eggs a month out of date | Daily Mail Online
So I guess the balut the Filipinos love so much would be a bad idea huh?
I've eaten a lot of stuff abroad but could just never make myself go there.

images

A physical rehab manager recently brought in ~7 50# bags of potatoes from a church for anyone who wanted some. They were gone in 1 day!
They're cheap, they're nutritious, they're easy to cook, they're versatile, and they fill people up.

They're cheap, they're nutritious, they're easy to cook, they're versatile, and they fill people up.
I love fried potatoes and thought about bringing some home. The only reason I didn’t was because I could afford to buy them when wad I ready to make some.

Forum List

Back