WSJ: The Myth of Systemic Police Racism

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Wonder if CNN will discuss this editorial ?

The Myth of Systemic Police Racism
Hold officers accountable who use excessive force. But there’s no evidence of widespread racial bias.

George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis has revived the Obama-era narrative that law enforcement is endemically racist. On Friday, Barack Obama tweeted that for millions of black Americans, being treated differently by the criminal justice system on account of race is “tragically, painfully, maddeningly ‘normal.’ ” Mr. Obama called on the police and the public to create a “new normal,” in which bigotry no longer “infects our institutions and our hearts.”
Joe Biden released a video the same day in which he asserted that all...

I think racism is systemic everywhere in our society, the police dept is only one manifestation. And it isn't just the police but also the justice system as a whole, and it's a problem for all of us and requires a solution that all of us buy into. Looking at PDs across the country, the vast majority of cops aren't looking for a black person to roust but all you hear about are the bad cops that step over the line into brutality and misconduct. It's true I think that a cop will stop or arrest a black guy for some reason that he/she wouldn't do to a white guy. So, racism ain't dead and we'd be foolish to think so.

But I also think it's true that a black person will resist more often and more strenuously that a white person and I believe that the cop will do the same thing in either case: subdue the suspect until help arrives. Sometimes the cop subdues a person too harshly, perhaps out of fear that the suspect will overpower him/her, or yes, because the suspect is black. I think part of the responsibility for what happens in on the suspect for putting up a fight, had the person done as they were directed then there's a good chance nobody gets hurt. And there's another factor involved: IMHO the black community has cultivated the gangsta/tough guy persona that every white person is aware of. Including cops. It is a mystique that is doing them no favors.

And thanks mainly to the Democrats, the black community (BC) has also cultivated the concept of victimization. White people know all about slavery, Jim Crow, and all that stuff, but they don't feel responsible for what past generations did. My grandpa might have done some awful things, but it ain't my fault - that's the line of thinking. And there's some validity to that, I think most people feel they should pay for their mistakes but not for someone else's, whether they were related or not. But the BC doesn't see it that way, and every time there is a police incident there is a rush to judgement against the cop and white society. The fact that the suspect violently resisted arrest is ignored.

So, racism is systemic, and not only in police depts. So is reverse racism/discrimination, but if we only fix one aspect of the problem then the issue won't really be resolved. And added to the problem is the politicians and politics involved. Some people use racism as a tool to gain votes, like it's a hammer to beat the opposition over the head with. Charges of racism are so common these days that it's losing it's value. What does it mean if you call everybody a racist?

Using my first post to go ahead and say that rioting and looting, and vandalism, and other assorted violence is exactly what I would do if I wanted to convince America that I was treated unjustly by the police.........

Forum List

Back