Wrong History - What surprises you?

History teachers from 7th grade through graduate school use the "no Southern Strategy" approach as a wonderful teaching tool of fallacious counter argumentation. The anti-strategy arguments always collapse at the second level of analysis.

What the hell do you know about schooling above the 7th Grade? ...

Professor Glasshouse chimes in.... :rolleyes:

The problem, Clayton, comes from those that don't understand that progressivism is a big government philosophy for solving problems that comes in LEFT (communism) and the middle (democracy) and the RIGHT (fascism).

Compared to European social market democracies, the GOP and the Dems are centrist parties.

The lie is that there was no Southern Strategy.

Of course there was, and it worked well over a twenty year period to create a GOP dominated south.

It was the greatest triumph of far right wing cultural mccarthyism.

A popular one here is that the democrats are the party of racists. The republicans would like to see Negroes liberated from food stamps, section 8, and other government programs that enslave them and keep them to tied to the Democratic plantation. Guess maybe Negroes are too stupid to see how much republicans really like them. The thousands of posts here by right wingers denigrating them, calling them thugs, lazy, freeloaders, etc. probably doesn't help the republican cause too much.

dems can certainly be racist, and black dems and pubs can be racist against other races

The Americas pre-Columbus were a peaceful and tranquil place where the locals got along with each other and lived in a quiet commune with nature.

This is not History; it is a platform for political propaganda.
I will give you a real one. In my opinion the biggest mistake people make about history is that they judge people of the past by the standards of today.

This is not History; it is a platform for political propaganda.
I will give you a real one. In my opinion the biggest mistake people make about history is that they judge people of the past by the standards of today.

Historians even have a name for the practice.

History teachers from 7th grade through graduate school use the "no Southern Strategy" approach as a wonderful teaching tool of fallacious counter argumentation. The anti-strategy arguments always collapse at the second level of analysis.

What the hell do you know about schooling above the 7th Grade? You're talking about things that you've never experienced yourself.

sonny, I sat on school boards, private and public, for more than twenty years, and some of those as president of the board, and always made sure that the social science and history teachers were teaching honestly.

I have friends who teach from 7th grade to graduate school, and they love pulling the anti-southern strategy nonsense apart.
BFS

“What are the most common errors that people make when talking about history with you?”

That 'political correctness' existed during the Roman Empire.

According to leading brain surgeons, that is true

The Americas pre-Columbus were a peaceful and tranquil place where the locals got along with each other and lived in a quiet commune with nature.

You don’t believe that, do you?

Good God, no. The Indians were people just like Europeans with all the shortsightedness and hatred and ability to take from the Earth without thinking about the consequences. The only difference between someone like the kings in Madrid, London, and Paris and some sachem in a longhouse on Manhatten Island is a question of technology.

People suck. Just because someone wore buckskin and never thought of the wheel doesn't mean they won't fuck over other people at the drop of a hat.

What are the most common errors that people make when talking about history with you?

Here are a few of mine.

-They don't know that the Soviet Union was allies with the US during WWII.

-They say that the South didn't really care about slavery. They just wanted states rights.

-They are completely ignorant of the fact that Democrats and Republicans realigned their parties over the Civil Rights Act (or issue in general, if you prefer).

They think FDR was "Great"

They think Joe McCarthy used his HUAC to start a "Red Scare" and blacklist innocent Hollywood writers

They think LBJ was a Civil Rights Hero

What are the most common errors that people make when talking about history with you?

Here are a few of mine.

-They say that the South didn't really care about slavery. They just wanted states rights.

-They are completely ignorant of the fact that Democrats and Republicans realigned their parties over the Civil Rights Act (or issue in general, if you prefer).

They think Joe McCarthy used his HUAC to start a "Red Scare" and blacklist innocent Hollywood writers

They think the earth is round

Here are a few of mine.

They think the earth is round

^ thinks Starkey is a Republican. Also not the "Rightwinger" name

What the hell do you know about schooling above the 7th Grade? You're talking about things that you've never experienced yourself.

sonny, I sat on school boards, private and public, for more than twenty years, and some of those as president of the board, and always made sure that the social science and history teachers were teaching honestly.

I have friends who teach from 7th grade to graduate school, and they love pulling the anti-southern strategy nonsense apart.
BFS

we didn't and don't let disturbed little twerps like you get your twisted ideology intot the schools

"only the Japanese who had lucrative real estate holdings in California were locked up and forced to give up their property" is pop history.

The others are taught in school and college.
Japanese in New York weren't arrested. The real Japanese espionage center was in Hawaii but Japanese were not incarcerated in Hawaii. Did college Americans ever learn what the convoluted FDR violation of the Constitution actually intended to do. ....your turn
I think this is one of those periods in history that historians teach is not to be used as today's values for understanding the past. The days after Pearl Harbor was a scary period for America especially some on the West Coast. That fear was used to by DeWitt and others to convince the president to issue the ex-order 1066. Either way the president was to be held liable for his actions. If sabotage occurred as Dewitt and others predicted, the president would have borne even greater political fall-out. It was a lose-lose situation and the culmination of years of anti-Japanese feelings in Californla.

Today's values? God help us, we are talking about the values of the US Constitution. Americans were arrested by the FDR administration, not aliens or illegal aliens. Does any educated person or alleged educated person think that the administration was authorized to incarcerate American citizens because of a fear of sabotage? What about Japanese who lived in Utah or Idaho or New York City? Isn't it clear that E.O. 1066 was designed to pay back California FDR supporters by offering them Japanese real estate at discounted prices?

Forum List

Back