Would humanity be better off if people incapable of supporting themselves were left to perish?

Survival of the fittest is a cold concept, right? Be strong enough to make it on your own or perish. If we completely got rid of all welfare and allowed less functional people to just perish, what would the result be? Would humanity be better for it in the end, or would we lose something valuable along the way?

Well since humans are born helpless because of our brain size, in one generation there would BE no humanity.

So that's not such a great idea, is it? Turns out we are animals, but maybe supposed to be a little higher functioning that your average rodent. Go figure.

It didn't cross your mind that maybe I wasn't talking about small children that can't care for themselves yet? I mean I guess I kind of thought it was obvious that most children have parents that won't discard them for lack of usefulness. I clarified in an above post. This seems like more of an attempt to not actually address the question in the OP.

Why should it have occurred to me? You said "if we allowed less functional people to just perish", and THAT was followed by "Make it on your own or perish". Well, how many years does that take human children, do you suppose? We are not unthinking animals with rodent brains, are we? It turns out we are social animals. So your question is rather silly. It's like asking "should we expect elephants to fly or else kill them?"

Okay. But then there will be no elephants.

Cards on the table I was hoping to get people to admit that strictly logically speaking social Darwinism could strengthen humanity, but that for moral reasons it isn't worth it.

I don't think you could make that case, actually. You might "cull" the weaker physically, but you would be left with a bunch of sociopaths raising future humans. Trauma on trauma on trauma does not make great stock for future generations.

The intelligent and strong would prosper while the stupid and weak perish. Humanity would definitely gain strength. Somewhere along the line though, yes, it would lose its emotional empathy (sociopaths), and I think that's the argument for why it's ultimately not worth it. I wonder what a sociopathic humanity would be like.

Survival of the fittest is a cold concept, right? Be strong enough to make it on your own or perish. If we completely got rid of all welfare and allowed less functional people to just perish, what would the result be? Would humanity be better for it in the end, or would we lose something valuable along the way?

Well since humans are born helpless because of our brain size, in one generation there would BE no humanity.

So that's not such a great idea, is it? Turns out we are animals, but maybe supposed to be a little higher functioning that your average rodent. Go figure.

I call bullshit ..

images (6).jpeg

I call bullshit ..

View attachment 209337

That's.....not BS, it's biological fact. We are born way before we are ready to care for ourselves. If we were left to gestate until we were able to actually care for ourselves, we would outpace our mother's metabolic capability and possibly her pelvis.

Why Humans Give Birth to Helpless Babies

In parts of the world like Africa, people are left to perish for lack of food. Are we better off for letting that happen? Not so sure.

Forum List

Back