Woman's joke recieves backlash from public

CrazedScotsman

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2012
Quote from article:

Stone's photo shows her flipping off a sign and appearing to shout at the tomb in Washington, D.C., that asks for "Silence and Respect" at the Arlington National Cemetery. Stone and her co-workers were on a work trip last month when the photo was taken.
After people posted comments critical of Stone, she posted: "Whoa whoa whoa... wait. This is just us, being the douchebags that we are, challenging authority in general. Much like the pic posted the night before, of me smoking right next to a no smoking sign. OBVIOUSLY we meant NO disrespect to people that serve or have served our country."

Prank Photo at Tomb of Unknowns Sparks Backlash - Yahoo! News

What do you think?

I think people need to grow a damned skin! The picture is a JOKE, a PRANK, and 18,000 people have 'Liked' a Facebook page calling for these girls to get FIRED over it!

Ridiculous!

I completely agree with her, she's a douchbag, but there's no law against it. I disagree with what she did, but she harmed no one and has every right under the fist amendment.

There's no law against stupidity and ignorance, but that's no reason to expect that her actions shouldn't have consequences, is it?

She's 30. Time to grow up.

But isn't that the basis for the opposition to Political Correctness, one's inherent right as an American to be a douchebag? I believe it's in the Constitution.

Yes, she can be a total douche, which she clearly is. That's the law.

It is also the law that other people can call her a douche.

It is also the law her company can fire her for being a douche.

Win/win.

There's no law against stupidity and ignorance, but that's no reason to expect that her actions shouldn't have consequences, is it?

So you appear to think schools and employeers should be able to control your actions even away from their establishments, I have to disagree. You should have no fear when exercising your rights, from the government or anyone else. Censorship hurts everyone.

So you appear to think schools and employeers should be able to control your actions even away from their establishments, I have to disagree. You should have no fear when exercising your rights, from the government or anyone else. Censorship hurts everyone.

Nobody is being censored. She's allowed to speak her beliefs. You're kidding yourself if you think that their aren't consequences to actions though. Perhaps you're confused b/c you see your president f up all the time w/o consequences.

Corporations have a public image. If an employee acts in a way that is contrary to the image they wish to convey, such as being disrespectful of the sacrifices made by our fallen heroes, they have every right to jettison the idiot.

I completely agree with her, she's a douchbag, but there's no law against it. I disagree with what she did, but she harmed no one and has every right under the fist amendment.

AGreed. And any backlash she gets is going to be lawful as well. Give and take. I have the right to say fuck you to a priest or a nun. Any backlash is deserved but legal.

See how that works?

Neither should have been fired over it. Dumb.

When someone spits on your grave, I'll remember that. Oh wait, nobody will care that they spit on your grave. I guess I can see where you're coming from :clap2:

I'm going to have my grave covered with catnip so all the strays will come around and people will think I was a witch or cat god. Ha!

Lighten up. Whether you think she was right or wrong, no harm no foul and certainly nothing to get fired over.

Neither should have been fired over it. Dumb.

When someone spits on your grave, I'll remember that. Oh wait, nobody will care that they spit on your grave. I guess I can see where you're coming from :clap2:

I'm going to have my grave covered with catnip so all the strays will come around and people will think I was a witch or cat god. Ha!

Lighten up. Whether you think she was right or wrong, no harm no foul and certainly nothing to get fired over.

It is something to get fired over. She should have more class. The organization is now forced to be viewed as an enabler.

It is something to get fired over. She should have more class. The organization is now forced to be viewed as an enabler.

So it's ok to fire people for being classless? Please. She posted it to her personal FB page and that's the only reason people are aware of it and found out who she is and who she works for, one of her friends likely reposted it and it went from there. Had this been the old days she would have had the pic printed and showed her friends. The organization isn't responsible for her actions.

Nobody is being censored. She's allowed to speak her beliefs. You're kidding yourself if you think that their aren't consequences to actions though. Perhaps you're confused b/c you see your president f up all the time w/o consequences.

I'm fully aware of the consequences in this PC world and I think most are bull shit, any action, like fear of losing your job, has a cooling effect on speech and is by definition censorship. If you think your taking a conservative position here you're wrong. I spent allot of years in uniform to protect the rights of everyone, not just the ones I agree with. My oath was to the Constitution, and I, as the veteran in the article feel compelled to defend her.

From the article: "we became aware that one of our employees had posted an offensive, inappropriate photograph on her personal Facebook page". It was on her personal FB page ... is the company she works for going to fire her if they find other offensive and inappropriate photos? Who are they to say what is or isn't offensive and inappropriate? And why isn't her personal FB page personal? It was shared with friends, it was obviously a prank, she apologized, the pic is gone.

According to the article she wasn't fired but was placed on unpaid leave pending an investigation.

Forum List

Back