Windows 8

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
My family bought me a new laptop for Christmas with Windows 8 on it.

Honestly I don't like the operating system at all. I think what they were going for was to make it more like a Smart Phone than a traditional computer, but seriously, it's just kind of awful.

We bought a laptop for our son, he will be graduating high school this year so we got it in preparation of college.
He hates it. In messing around with it - I don't like it either.
I agree with you - it looks like an OS for a tablet/phone than a computer.
Today we are going to see about dual booting with Linux Mint. I have not looked into whether there are issues with dual booting as there was in Win 7.

I have had a windows 8 with a touch screen for a bit of a while. So far I enjoy it and find it very functional for my purposes.

I have had a windows 8 with a touch screen for a bit of a while. So far I enjoy it and find it very functional for my purposes.

"with a touch screen" - that is the difference.
Win8 is clearly designed for a touch interface...without it...is a different experience.

"with a touch screen" - that is the difference.
Win8 is clearly designed for a touch interface...without it...is a different experience.

Actually I had a laptop without the touchscreen and it was abysmal, so I agree with you. I am more able to multitask with a touch screen and I have an all in one for my primary with an iPad and a smart phone for portable connectivity so this seems to be the best of all worlds for my purposes.

I am really enjoying the bluetooth marriage of devices as well.

The silly thing is - everyone will click on the "got to desktop" button as soon as they login.
Which basically reverts the computer back to Win7 and removes the main Win8 functionality. Hilarious.

The silly thing is - everyone will click on the "got to desktop" button as soon as they login.
Which basically reverts the computer back to Win7 and removes the main Win8 functionality. Hilarious.

Hehe, yep I like the tiles and the various other things this came with I am still exploring these functions and all.

I was going to get a surface pro as opposed to an iPad, but, that was far too much computer for what I wanted.

Yes, I thought I read where it was primarily designed w/ touch screen in mind. I think that they think that mobile computing, like w/ touch screen phones, is the wave of the future.

Yes, I thought I read where it was primarily designed w/ touch screen in mind. I think that they think that mobile computing, like w/ touch screen phones, is the wave of the future.

Well, some of us are old people and we like our Pull down menus, Dammit!!!!

Nothing wrong with touch screen being the future for phones. On a computer it's just too gay.

Don't they have the option to make it work like classic windows?

Nothing wrong with touch screen being the future for phones. On a computer it's just too gay.

There is an option for a "Desktop View", put even that doesn't have the classic start button that so many of us are used to using.

FYI, I got a new Win8 computer a week ago. It is taking some time to get used to navigating because the look, feel and navigation are very different.

I believe so, without the touch screen it is very disappointing.

I love Windows 8. Why? Because Windows 7 and Vista will be around a long time and I will not have to go through another iteration of Microsoft redesigning their user interface, at least not for a few more years.

I love Windows 8. Why? Because Windows 7 and Vista will be around a long time and I will not have to go through another iteration of Microsoft redesigning their user interface, at least not for a few more years.

Vista sucks! I hate it, it's so slow. I think XP was a 1,000 times better.

A techie I know says he'll stick to 7 and I think I'll upgrade to that after the new year.

I think the future of computers is both touch screens and keyboards.
The new Touch is Microsoft's vision.

Vista sucks! I hate it, it's so slow. I think XP was a 1,000 times better.

A techie I know says he'll stick to 7 and I think I'll upgrade to that after the new year.
I thought XP was great. The problem is the world changes and XP stays the same. So when there are interface problems between applications, either local or on the Net, you have to just live with those problems because Microsoft is not going to fix them and applications developers have bigger fish to fry.

With each new version of windows, the benefits of upgrading become less and less. Of course who upgrades for the new features anyway? If you buy a new computer you have to upgrade to the new operating system.

Forum List

Back