Windows 8 Tips and Support

Well I haven't done ANY of that stuff and Windows 8.1 has been working just fine for me, has been more stable with fewer freeze ups and other such problems than Windows 7, and I have finally learned to make peace with it and am enjoying some of its more innovative features--and this is a desk top PC we're talking about. I did install a start button many months ago but never use it as I now automatically use Windows 8.1 as it was intended. In fact I am somewhat irked when I use Windows 7 on my lap top and forget that it can't do some of the things that Windows 8 does and it is mildly annoying.
Windows 8.1 has a start button already.

Does it? LOL. I haven't even checked to see what happened to the start button when I upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1--MS offered us the chance to do that free so I did. But I haven't looked at the start button for at least six months--haven't needed it.
It opens only the Modern UI anyway.

Windows 9 is expected to have a startmenu.

Windows 8 attempted to force users to adopt a touch oriented interface, when 95% of the target audience didn't have touch enabled devices.

Anyone with a Surface Pro will tell you that the 8/8.1 UI is actually quite good on a touch screen - but without touch it is clumsy at best. Microsoft made the serious mistake of developing for hardware that was not mainstream.

Aero Glass represents the most graceful and useful interface for a mouse and keyboard, nothing else comes close. It was a serious mistake not to offer this as an alternative with Windows 8. A mistake that Windows 9 will apparently correct.

{Windows 9, which Microsoft internally calls “Threshold,” should ship around the second quarter of 2015. It will put the Windows 8 interface on the back burner but not throw it out, since applications written for Windows 8 would be broken. The familiar desktop with the Start button will be back.

Bajarin expects Windows 9 will return all of the familiar elements of Windows 7 and prior operating systems, with the new UI relegated to the back burner while new features are added to bring people forward.

Read more: Windows 8 Died at Launch, Microsoft Moves on to Windows 9 | The Daily Caller
}

Windows 8 attempted to force users to adopt a touch oriented interface, when 95% of the target audience didn't have touch enabled devices.

Anyone with a Surface Pro will tell you that the 8/8.1 UI is actually quite good on a touch screen - but without touch it is clumsy at best. Microsoft made the serious mistake of developing for hardware that was not mainstream.

Aero Glass represents the most graceful and useful interface for a mouse and keyboard, nothing else comes close. It was a serious mistake not to offer this as an alternative with Windows 8. A mistake that Windows 9 will apparently correct.

{Windows 9, which Microsoft internally calls “Threshold,” should ship around the second quarter of 2015. It will put the Windows 8 interface on the back burner but not throw it out, since applications written for Windows 8 would be broken. The familiar desktop with the Start button will be back.

Bajarin expects Windows 9 will return all of the familiar elements of Windows 7 and prior operating systems, with the new UI relegated to the back burner while new features are added to bring people forward.

Read more: Windows 8 Died at Launch, Microsoft Moves on to Windows 9 | The Daily Caller
}
There are even rumors that Windows 9 will be for free, but I don´t belive it.

Fact that Microsoft has improved its all in one strategy. While Windows 8/8.1 for PC and phones look similar they are are very different indeed. For Windows 9 Microsoft plans optimize the interfaces according to the devices on which it is running while the versions of Windows 9 share the same technologies. Hopefully this will allow x86 programs to run on a phone.

Fact that Microsoft has improved its all in one strategy. While Windows 8/8.1 for PC and phones look similar they are are very different indeed. For Windows 9 Microsoft plans optimize the interfaces according to the devices on which it is running while the versions of Windows 9 share the same technologies. Hopefully this will allow x86 programs to run on a phone.

Windows 9 will most assuredly not be free. Microsoft is going to offer it as part of Office 365, which is a subscription plan for Office. Essentially, if you have a valid Office 365 subscription, you will be granted access to Windows 9 as part of it. This has a serious draw back for consumers - no one expects their OS to stop working because a subscription expires, but that is exactly what will happen to those using the 365 model.

As for X86 programs running on phones, unless ARM processors gain access to Intel micro-code, this will never happen. So Atom based phones might be able to do this, but Snapdragon and Nvidia processors never will.

Windows 9 will most assuredly not be free. Microsoft is going to offer it as part of Office 365, which is a subscription plan for Office. Essentially, if you have a valid Office 365 subscription, you will be granted access to Windows 9 as part of it. This has a serious draw back for consumers - no one expects their OS to stop working because a subscription expires, but that is exactly what will happen to those using the 365 model.

As for X86 programs running on phones, unless ARM processors gain access to Intel micro-code, this will never happen. So Atom based phones might be able to do this, but Snapdragon and Nvidia processors never will.
We will see. I would not like to run a subscription based os. I also heard that Windows 9 will have a new activation method. Would use an online account for activation. It sounded as if one would have to be online to use the os. Rumors, but that would raise protest for real.

My favorite os for phones is Android.

What's wrong with Metro? I am over 50, and it took me almost 15 minutes to appreciate the added value of the Metro interface when I first got Windows 8. Now I can access the apps from the desktop, but I still prefer using Metro for most things that involve Windows apps, or even Windows itself.

What's wrong with Metro? I am over 50, and it took me almost 15 minutes to appreciate the added value of the Metro interface when I first got Windows 8. Now I can access the apps from the desktop, but I still prefer using Metro for most things that involve Windows apps, or even Windows itself.

What's wrong with Metro? I'm running a computer, not a phone. When I launch Excel 2013 from Metro, what happens? Oh, it goes to the desktop and runs the useful program. What about Word, PowerPoint, Visio, or any other Windows program? Yep, right out to the desktop, because that's where programs live. Now if I want to run an iPhone type app, Metro is the place, but then that isn't what I have a computer for.

I find it amusing that when you hook up a second monitor to Windows 8, even when the primary is in Metro, the secondary will be at the desktop. Even MS knows that is where real work is done.

Just ordered my new computer and I ordered Windows 8.1. I have had my existing computer so long, I don't know what OS I have, but I know what I read about Windows 8 scares me completely.

I'm not ready to take four months to learn how to use a computer to primarily post on this message board, shop a little and play some simple games. What am I in for?

First, you get one of those yellow dummies books - Windows 8 for Dummies. It was invaluable at first but after a few days I never opened it. Then you learn to use the appearing and disappearing task bar when you hover the mouse along the right side of your monitor screen and which 'icon' on the start screen takes you to your desk top. The desk top looks and works just like every computer you've ever had and you can set your computer to open to that screen from a sleep. You learn that doing a search for information on your computer or the internet involves just starting typing anywhere on your start screen and voila....there it is.

On the start screen the icons you don't want are easily removed and ones you do want--stock market...weather...whatever--are easily placed there. However, you'll probably rarely go to the start screen--it is primarily designed for those using pads and enhanced readers etc.

I hated Win 8 from the beginning--and love it now. It is by far the most trouble free and stable windows system I have ever used.

What I like about windows 8/8.1 is how easy it is to clean slate reinstall windows, compared to earlier windows builds; and refresh is nice as well.

I got a CyberPower PC last year, and none of the hardware and software was up to date. It reached a point where it jammed on trying to click the windows button. System restore wouldn't even create recovery points.

There was a windows reinstall disk with it fortunately, but the recovery disk can also be downloaded easily off the internet onto a USB drive.

Took about two hours, and I was able to install up to date drivers off the internet. Now it is working far better than when I first got it. Makes you wonder whether computer manufacturers even bother, and just wait for their computers to fail after a year. A lot of people would just give up and buy a new computer, thinking its stuffed.

This is my Windows 8.1 Tool Bundle. Its for Windows 8.1, some tools will not work with Windows 8. This is what it contains.

Tools:

Startisback+
- Adds a Startmenu that is similar to the Windows 7 Startmenu but with extended functionality. Its also possible to disable Modern UI features. A regfile is attached.

OldnewExplorer
- Allows the customization of the Windows Explorer. Folders can be removed from This PC e.g.

XSubst

- Allows the customization of the Windows Explorer. Any folders can be arranged as drives.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
- Allows to change various Windows settings. For example, the User Account Control can be deactivated.

OblyTile

- Allows to create user defined tiles with specific targets (folders, files).

UserListEnabler
- If more than one account is created this tool allows Windows to boot into the log screen.

Vista Shortcut Manager / FX Visor

- Customize or remove the shortcut arrows.

Aero Glass for Windows 8.1

- Enriches Windows 8.1 by the Aero Glass effect known from Windows Vista and Windows 7. Shipped without watermark and popup.

Languages:

Language Pack German
- A German language pack for offline installations.

Commands:

Net Framework 3.5 Installation
- A command for the setup of Net. 3.5 from the Windows 8.1 DVD.

Save Mode
- Reboot to safe mode via this command.

Thin Borders
- Regfile, that makes the windows borders thin.

Games Explorer
- Shortcut to the Games Explorer.

Theme:

Snowy 8
- Theme, that is inspired by the Windows 8/8.1 themes but looks far better and modern.

Download: (115 MB)
MEGA

xiutl4ks.jpg

View my original thread:
Windows 8.1 Toolsammlung
The theme patcher that is included in the collection is an old experimental version and kind of buggy. Means, sometimes when the PC has started the selected theme is not applied and a restart is required in that case. A theme patcher replaces/modifies theme related Windows files that don´t allow 3rd party themes.

I recommend this new patcher that hasn´t made it to English languaged sites yet. Its a small 150 kb tool that supports all Windows Versions. Use "Manuelle Installation" to avoid the site´s installer being imposed on you:
UltraUXThemePatcher - Download - CHIP

Found an English page, download from here:
Homepage M. Hoefs - Software

You can also get a newer version of oldnewexplorer:
OldNewExplorer - make your 8.1 explorer work like Win7 8 one - StartIsBack - MSFN Forum

Last edited:
I use to use windows 8 but had all kinds of problem.My friend turned me on to windows 8.1 all problems solved.

Forum List

Back