Windows 10

I've never posted anything anywhere about 98 being superior to XP. Ever. But I could see that XP pretty much got it right and there simply was not a need to go fucking with it just to make a buck.

As I said, I have a desktop still left over from the XP days, 11 years old, maybe 12, and it's the most stable OS I've ever had, including this one. Microslush is a long shabby legacy of taking what more or less works and continually bloating it with more and more and more completely unneccessary crap. And it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that.

XP is based on the NT/OS2 core, it has zero ring vulnerability. It can never be a secure OS. I hope you don't do online banking or other financial transactions on it.

Got free upgrade to Windows 10 July 29th. I'm not sure whether I should do it? Anyone hear anything about Windows 10. I'm thinking about keeping 7. I need my computer for work and would hate to do anything that'll screw it up. But I'd also hate to miss out on the latest game because I didn't upgrade.

What to do ...

10 is the next great OS. It looks a little different than 7 or 8, sort of a fusion of the two;

windows10startmenu5_1020.0.jpg

Full DX12 support and a fully implemented 64 bit kernal.

Metro becomes subservient to Aero, as it should be. You can operate the system entirely from Aero, and never touch metro. If you use a touch screen, or if you have a motion interface, then the Metro interface is available.

Windows 10 is based on the Longhorn kernal introduced under Vista - it is rock solid and has massive support for devices and peripherals.

It is a top notch OS.
How is the Visual Studio support on 10? Any bugs that will affect current apps?

Visual Studio 2010 has done fine in my experience. I had issues out of the gate with VS 2013, so I have ignored it. The problems were under Windows 7 and had to do with SQL Native Client deployment. If I can't attach to the database, then I'm dead in the water. I may try VS 2015 - but I need a compelling reason.

Visual Studio 2010 has done fine in my experience. I had issues out of the gate with VS 2013, so I have ignored it. The problems were under Windows 7 and had to do with SQL Native Client deployment. If I can't attach to the database, then I'm dead in the water. I may try VS 2015 - but I need a compelling reason.
Okay. I had to jump a few hoops but I managed to get My VS 2013 Professional to work on Windows 8, so it should be okay on the new system.

Here are the top five reasons to upgrade to Windows 10

windows_10_3057549b.jpg

I've already accepted my invitation to upgrade for free, so this really doesn't apply to me. But it does provide some interesting information with links. The 5 reasons set forth are:

Start Menu (I just hope my Classic Shell will work on it)

Cortana (I see no reason why I'd ever use this)

Edge Internet Browser (I'm getting po'd with Firefox and Opera and can only hope this will be better.)

A better all-around interface (whatever that means) @

A new and improved Command Prompt (that might be useful as I was told to use one and can't figure out how on 8.1)

Read the article with links @ Here are the top five reasons to upgrade to Windows 10 Fox News

Windows 10: The 'Insider' story @ Windows 10 The Insider story - Telegraph

windows_10_3057549b.jpg

I've already accepted my invitation to upgrade for free, so this really doesn't apply to me. But it does provide some interesting information with links. The 5 reasons set forth are:

Edge Internet Browser (I'm getting po'd with Firefox and Opera and can only hope this will be better.)

A new and improved Command Prompt (that might be useful as I was told to use one and can't figure out how on 8.1)

Read the article with links @ Here are the top five reasons to upgrade to Windows 10 Fox News

Even Bleipreister has to find that funny.
"Top 10 reasons to switch to Windows 10 - and 7 of them are returning to what worked before" - aren't we great!!!

This might be more accurate - "Top 10 reasons we want you to pay us to make windows work like it used to"...:lmao:

windows_10_3057549b.jpg

Even Bleipreister has to find that funny.
"Top 10 reasons to switch to Windows 10 - and 7 of them are returning to what worked before" - aren't we great!!!

This might be more accurate - "Top 10 reasons we want you to pay us to make windows work like it used to"...:lmao:

Not that I am confident of Windows 10 til now but it is really true that Windows 10 will be free for the vast majority and that MS has really started to listen to the users.

The common way to open command prompt may be blocked by the pathetic Classic Shell, I don´t know. You have been advised on better solutions by the way. See here how it works for me, just right click the Windows button and choose command prompt (Adminstrator).

giphy.gif

If Classic Shell prevents you from opening the Windows button´s context menu, hold the Windows key on the keyboard and press R to open the run command window. Now type cmd and click OK to open the command prompt.

Pheh....I will stick with Linux Mint...infinitely easier and faster...and oh...no need for expensive and memory grabbing anti-virus.

I went back to Ubuntu long ago - I see no advantage to Mint.

That said, claiming that a Linux distro is easier than Windows is laughably absurd. The whole appeal of Linux is that it's difficult and exclusive.

On the same machine, I can boot to a Windows 7 64 desktop in just under 8 seconds. Ubuntu 14 takes 46 seconds to get to the a fully loaded Unity desktop.

Linux is free and is lighter than Windows, running on older and cheaper hardware - but be real, Windows is vastly more friendly and magnitudes faster on current hardware. And yeah, Linux is getting screwed by Intel putting code in firmware for the benefit of Microsoft, but I don't give a shit - it makes the machines run faster and better.

Got free upgrade to Windows 10 July 29th. I'm not sure whether I should do it? Anyone hear anything about Windows 10. I'm thinking about keeping 7. I need my computer for work and would hate to do anything that'll screw it up. But I'd also hate to miss out on the latest game because I didn't upgrade.

What to do ...

10 is the next great OS. It looks a little different than 7 or 8, sort of a fusion of the two;

Metro becomes subservient to Aero, as it should be. You can operate the system entirely from Aero, and never touch metro. If you use a touch screen, or if you have a motion interface, then the Metro interface is available.

Windows 10 is based on the Longhorn kernal introduced under Vista - it is rock solid and has massive support for devices and peripherals.

It is a top notch OS.
Yes sir....10 is going to be awesome. I'll be upgrading on the 29th from 8.1 (which I do like) I like new software/OS's. I get bored very quickly

What to do ...

It is a top notch OS.
Yes sir....10 is going to be awesome. I'll be upgrading on the 29th from 8.1 (which I do like) I like new software/OS's. I get bored very quickly
I heard the Windows 10 reservation tool is pre-loading Windows 10 files to grant trouble free 29th.

Did you upgrade your Surface Pro?

That's what I'm running the 10 beta on.
Unfortunately I don't have a Surface. I have a Dell XPS 12 that I use for work (when I'm home) so I can't install these previews. I heard the previews are getting more stable though so thats a good thing.

On the same machine, I can boot to a Windows 7 64 desktop in just under 8 seconds. Ubuntu 14 takes 46 seconds to get to the a fully loaded Unity desktop.

I call bullshit.
Unless you are operating off of an SSD Drive you are not booting in 8 seconds from cold start no way - no how on a standard HDD.
Unity on ubuntu is why I switched to Mint. It indeed boots slow, but very comparable to Windows on the same equipment. Mint boots infinitely faster than my dual boot laptop boots up Win7 on cold start up - and holy cow faster from sleep.

I call bullshit.
Unless you are operating off of an SSD Drive you are not booting in 8 seconds from cold start no way - no how on a standard HDD.
Unity on ubuntu is why I switched to Mint. It indeed boots slow, but very comparable to Windows on the same equipment. Mint boots infinitely faster than my dual boot laptop boots up Win7 on cold start up - and holy cow faster from sleep.

Of course I'm on an SSD - its 2015... It's SATA 3 (6mbps) - I time both OS's after post is finished - the Asus Hero Mobo takes longer to post than the OS does to boot.

Mint has a crap interface, it may boot quickly, but has a GUI from 1992.

Forum List

Back