Will GOP Blow Its Current Advantage In January?

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
The government shutdown just a month and a half ago significantly damaged the GOP in the polls. The party hit new lows.

But then Obama's "you can keep your plan, period" blew up in his face, and now Obama is hitting new lows in the polls, and the shutdown is all but forgotten.

However, there are two things to remember. First, Obama is not running for re-election. Therefore, taking hits in the polls do more damage to the GOP than Obama.

Second, the Continuing Resolution (CR) which ended the shutdown ends on January 15, less than two months from now. And we will hit the debt ceiling again on February 7.

If the government shuts down again, the American people will begin to acquire a Pavlovian response every time they think of a Republican. "These assholes keep shutting down the goddam government!"

So forget about all the chest thumping about the mid terms which are a political eternity away. What are your predictions for Shutdown Showdown II: This Time We REALLY Mean It?

Last edited:

If the ACA hit brigade is losing steam, the TeaPs and reactionaries will try to force Boehner to shut down the govt and default the debt.

If that happens, the Dems take the House and increase the Senate.

If the ACA hit brigade is losing steam, the TeaPs and reactionaries will try to force Boehner to shut down the govt and default the debt.

to much liberal talk coming from a republican. :eusa_whistle:

yep, mid-terms are a loong way off. Look at that Repub tea partier who got busted for coke just the other day. Stuff happens at the drop of a hat all the time to derail crafted talking-points.

yep, mid-terms are a loong way off. Look at that Repub tea partier who got busted for coke just the other day. Stuff happens at the drop of a hat all the time to derail crafted talking-points.

And he got busted so fucking what? are democrats Lilly white? FUCK NO SO SHUT THE FUCK UP.

It is a legitimate question

Seems if history proves one thing, the party that seems to have political advantage almost always has a way to screw it up.

My guess here is that both parties have some major problems, but the democrats are much bigger. The biggest problem seems to be the national media has turned on them.

There's a lot of self-soothing going on in this thread. Keep your eye on the ball ladies. The only thing that matters politically right now is the Obamacare disaster.

In seven days if the website isn't working perfectly "for the vast majority of users," yet more shit hits the fan in a big, big way. Anybody think the morons in the Obama administration can make that happen? :lol:

Last edited:

The ACA hit brigade is not likely to lose serious steam. Also Reid and Obama no longer have credibility. But Reid is as much a realist as he is a horse's ass so the most probable outcome is that he will throw Obama and many house democrats under the bus. He can deliver a veto-proof senate majority for the Landrieux (?) bill, the house Republican immigration proposal and pin the blame on House Ds and the president while saving at least one seat in the Senate.

If enough Ds cannot be gotten in the house to override an Obama veto Reid at least makes it less likely to for him to lose his job as majority leader and more likely that he can get something done with Boehner or his successor after the election.

There's a lot of self-soothing going on in this thread. Keep your eye on the ball ladies. The only thing that matters politically right now is the Obamacare disaster.

In seven days if the website isn't working perfectly "for the vast majority of users," yet more shit hits the fan in a big, big way. Anybody think the morons in the Obama administration can make that happen? :lol:
If this becomes every man for himself time overrides of a vetoed deal become likely.

And he got busted so fucking what? are democrats Lilly white? FUCK NO SO SHUT THE FUCK UP.

why is this bigderpnc1775 stalking me? :dunno:

As to the OP, yeah- stuff happens all the time and a month is an eternity in Washington

As to the OP, yeah- stuff happens all the time and a month is an eternity in Washington

Perhaps you're accusing him of stalking you to avoid addressing his argument.

Well, the only way to blow an advantage is not to press the advantage.

Gonna have to disagree with that.

Republicans can "press their advantage" and try to pass abortion legislation, as they have done in many statehouses and have done symbolically in the Congress -- that'll blow the advantage.

And if Tea Partiers make Boehner go into the next round of budget talks with impractical demands or if they force Boehner to move the goal posts because the Democrat response makes them think they should try for more, then Republicans could end up looking like the Three Stooges trying to bake a cake -- and that could blow their advantage.

Republicans are good at finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

his "argument"??

"He got busted so ****ing what" is an argument??

lol...funny, templar you do make me giggle from time to time.

It is a legitimate question

Seems if history proves one thing, the party that seems to have political advantage almost always has a way to screw it up.

My guess here is that both parties have some major problems, but the democrats are much bigger. The biggest problem seems to be the national media has turned on them.

For the moment. A month ago, the media had turned on the GOP.

If the GOP is perceived as being responsible for another shutdown, the tables can turn again.

Will the GOP take that risk?

Last edited:

Republicans can "press their advantage" and try to pass abortion legislation, as they have done in many statehouses and have done symbolically in the Congress -- that'll blow the advantage.

And if Tea Partiers make Boehner go into the next round of budget talks with impractical demands or if they force Boehner to move the goal posts because the Democrat response makes them think they should try for more, then Republicans could end up looking like the Three Stooges trying to bake a cake -- and that could blow their advantage.

I agree completely. Loyally oppose, give legitimate options. That is all needed now. The Democrats are eating there own young now.

Just stay out of the way and let them enjoy their meals.

I agree completely. Loyally oppose, give legitimate options. That is all needed now. The Democrats are eating there own young now.

Just stay out of the way and let them enjoy their meals.
So should they pass another CR without a fight? Should they raise the debt ceiling without a fight? How can they do this without seeming contradictory to their behavior in October?

his "argument"??

"He got busted so ****ing what" is an argument??

lol...funny, templar you do make me giggle from time to time.

It this your attempt to look down on me from beneath my feet, Nyvin? I already caught you lying about Obama's judicial nominations in another thread, so I would advise you to quit while you're behind.

Forum List

Back