Why it would be prudent to install security cameras covering the front of your house

Ben Thomson

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2020
A lot of people like to keep some sort of firearm next to their bed to protect themselves if someone tries to break into their home. You hear a commotion outside your door and it sure sounds like somebody is trying to break in. If you have a security camera you check it first before you grab your gun and open the door, it could save your life. Seems the rage among law enforcement is no knock warrants and early morning raids. If you open your door with a gun in your hand, they feel they are more than justified to gun you down. It's already happened in parts of the country. Almost happened to this guy but he checked his cameras first...thank God....Early morning visit by sheriff's deputies raises questions

I used to have security cameras but they were a PITA that often kicked off the autorecord mode without notice so when I actually wanted to see something, it usually wasn't there.....plus their "night vision" didn't work so well. Mine, however, were installed to deter a banned relative from returning to my property, not some stranger.

Cameras and systems that are any good cost a lot; A peep hole is cheap. Since most legit people these days make a point of standing way back from the door, if you can't see anybody then it's probably a criminal or an idiot, so don't open the door.

If it's a break-in, they are not going to loudly bang on your door at 4 AM. Common sense would tell me it's not a good idea to walk outside with a gun when the person banging on my door is likely a cop.

The problem is what happened to Breona Taylor, when cops just break down your door and you have a gun. You don't even need to shoot it, just raise it and you're likely dead.

A lot of people like to keep some sort of firearm next to their bed to protect themselves if someone tries to break into their home. You hear a commotion outside your door and it sure sounds like somebody is trying to break in. If you have a security camera you check it first before you grab your gun and open the door, it could save your life. Seems the rage among law enforcement is no knock warrants and early morning raids. If you open your door with a gun in your hand, they feel they are more than justified to gun you down. It's already happened in parts of the country. Almost happened to this guy but he checked his cameras first...thank God....Early morning visit by sheriff's deputies raises questions
I grab the 9MM, let the German Shepard that woke me up, out the back door into the locked privacy area, listen and decide whether to exchange for the AR-15 and then follow out the back door. If somebody comes in and the 90 lb Shepard wakes me up attacking inside the house, we will be armed with both. If they are taller than the dog, they are in deadly serious peril, as I am a whizzbang at repairing drywall.

I grab the 9MM, let the German Shepard that woke me up, out the back door into the locked privacy area, listen and decide whether to exchange for the AR-15 and then follow out the back door. If somebody comes in and the 90 lb Shepard wakes me up attacking inside the house, we will be armed with both. If they are taller than the dog, they are in deadly serious peril, as I am a whizzbang at repairing drywall.
In that scenario both you and the dog are shot by cops doing their thing. That's the issue being discussed..cops knocking down your door without warning and ready to 'address' any perceived threat with force.

On a few occasions when I lived in a fairly bad neighborhood in Tampa I answered the door while armed with a handgun and found a cop standing there.

One time I was holding a loaded 1911 Colt .45 auto in my right hand with a newspaper covering it. When I realized it was just a cop I told him, “Give me a second to put this newspaper down.“ I doubt the officer had any idea I was armed.

Then I bought a S&W Model 642 snub nosed .38 revolver Fir concealed carry. When I would answer the door I would have that revolver in my pants pocket with my hand on it. I remember one time when I opened the door an officer was on the other side. Since I opened the door with my left hand and was standing so his view of my right hand was blocked once again the officer was unaware I was armed.

The idea of having cameras on your front door sounds good to me.

Anyone knocking on my door that late at night isn't someone I know.
They would have called before hand.
I'd just step back and find a good shooting position and see what happens next.
If it's someone with bad intentions the dogs would more than likely scare em off.

But I sure as hell wouldnt open the door.

On a few occasions when I lived in a fairly bad neighborhood in Tampa I answered the door while armed with a handgun and found a cop standing there.

One time I was holding a loaded 1911 Colt .45 auto in my right hand with a newspaper covering it. When I realized it was just a cop I told him, “Give me a second to put this newspaper down.“ I doubt the officer had any idea I was armed.

Then I bought a S&W Model 642 snub nosed .38 revolver Fir concealed carry. When I would answer the door I would have that revolver in my pants pocket with my hand on it. I remember one time when I opened the door an officer was on the other side. Since I opened the door with my left hand and was standing so his view of my right hand was blocked once again the officer was unaware I was armed.

The idea of having cameras on your front door sounds good to me.
And believe you me, you will see the darndest collection of wild animals you had no idea were out there every night. We've been setting our cameras here and there, and migod, it's a zoo out there.

Anyone knocking on my door that late at night isn't someone I know.
They would have called before hand.
I'd just step back and find a good shooting position and see what happens next.
If it's someone with bad intentions the dogs would more than likely scare em off.

But I sure as hell wouldnt open the door.
Yeah. I have learned from two VERY iffy salesmen calling not to open my door to strangers. And we keep things locked, too. I can go to the sunporch and look out the window (I thought of a Ring camera, but we have good line of sight) and then open the door if it's my neighbor with some corn ----

If it's a strange man I now always open a window well out of reach and talk from there, and that's how it's gonna be.

And believe you me, you will see the darndest collection of wild animals you had no idea were out there every night. We've been setting our cameras here and there, and migod, it's a zoo out there.
I have solar lights set up. I now live in a rural area and have seen rabbits, cats and raccoons at night. I know there are deer on the property but I never seem to catch them.

You are convincing me to put up a camera.

I have solar lights set up. I now live in a rural area and have seen rabbits, cats and raccoons at night. I know there are deer on the property but I never seem to catch them.

You are convincing me to put up a camera.
Foxes, skunk, possums, groundhog, a way-too-large coyote --- you may be surprised. :)

Yeah. I have learned from two VERY iffy salesmen calling not to open my door to strangers. And we keep things locked, too. I can go to the sunporch and look out the window (I thought of a Ring camera, but we have good line of sight) and then open the door if it's my neighbor with some corn ----

If it's a strange man I now always open a window well out of reach and talk from there, and that's how it's gonna be.

Had four mexicans/south americans come to my door telling me their car broke down and could they use my phone.
I looked out the side window before opening and saw that there four of em so grabbed the 870 shorty and kept it behind the door jam.
When I told em to wait outside and I'd get the Wife to bring the cordless phone the one in the back started moving forward in an aggressive manner I stepped back and brought the shotgun up......
They were assholes and elbows trying to get back to their "broken down car" !! They didnt even bother to close the hood.

This happened in the mid 80's soon after the Wife and I had married.
Ever since then I keep a gun handy at all times.
Although something like that is highly unlikely where we live now I still keep a gun handy,it's gated and we pay off duty cops to patrol the neighborhood.
There hasn't been a crime committed in the 15 years we've lived here. Of course it's 98% white so there's that.

In that scenario both you and the dog are shot by cops doing their thing. That's the issue being discussed..cops knocking down your door without warning and ready to 'address' any perceived threat with force.
You can never be totally ready to address threats you do not know of, especially if the ones in the house are alerted by a vicious attack dog, defending turf, before you can even get through a door. You can back anybody out of your house with 60 to 90, 5.56 rounds coming through the drywall randomly without a target to return fire on. Dogs are better than cameras for alerting to people on your porch, even motion sensing cameras. You get used to false dings from security equipment, after getting the false ones on your cell phone and inside the house from dogs, cats, raccoons, people walking on the street, etc., just making mental note to check the backup to see what it was. You don't ignore a dog, protecting you. There is NO sneaking up on my house 24/7. The UPS people are scared to set foot on my porch, even during the daytime with the door closed.
Seriously. I recommend and swear by a locked hurricane glass security storm door and a large territorial dog.

I had occasion to find it necessary to arm myself and get a dog. It was not possible to get a big dog. I got a min pin known to be a barker. The plan was the dog would bark, wake me up and I would have a chance to get the gun. Sadly, the barking was only when he was awake. He slept like 3 dead dogs. Fortunately I had a cat that never slept. His favorite watching spot was at the back door on top of the washer. When the expected breakin happened, the ever present cat jumped on the dog in panic. The dog, having no idea what was going on started barking furiously whereupon I got the gun. By this time the screeching cat and furiously barking dog spoiled the moment so he left. My plan worked flawlessly.

Last edited:
If it's a break-in, they are not going to loudly bang on your door at 4 AM. Common sense would tell me it's not a good idea to walk outside with a gun when the person banging on my door is likely a cop.

The problem is what happened to Breona Taylor, when cops just break down your door and you have a gun. You don't even need to shoot it, just raise it and you're likely dead.

Sorry, the guy shot at the police as he hid behind her......and they didn't "just break down her door." She had ties to known drug dealers and they went to her place the same time they went to other locations associated with the drug dealer.

Joe "Two Blasts" Biden says I don't need a security camera...

Forum List

Back