Why don't black Americans swim?

I get the sense that black folks are somewhat skittish when it come to swimming, also skittish around animals too

I get the sense that you're a drooling imbecile and are somewhat skittish when it comes to thinking, also skittish around toilet paper too.

Why can you people not just appreciate the ways of our human ancestry?

When i was in boot camp for the Navy, there were 9 black guys in my company, and not a single one could swim. They looked fucking terrified as they stood up there on the high dive with the company commanders below screaming at them to jump in the water. Not one did it on the first day. It took a few of them several days to pass this test. It was weird to me, because growing up, me and all my friends knew how to swim. I thought the swimming test was a joke. Even the test to qualify for the Navy SEAL boot camp (buds) is a joke if you ask me.

So, because they didn't have the opportunity to swim as kids, they are looked down on?

I was in the same boat, but I swam a few times....enough to pass the navy swim test, the first time... Remember the test, they made you tred water for ..what five minutes, then swim to the other side. I did it with no problem. Didnt like it, but I did it...It was something I never got into really because there really were no resources to try it too often where I grew up.

The funny thing is, years later in the service, I lived a half mile from the beach for years and never really liked the water. (Imperial bach, cali...) (Jaws messed me up for life I suppose..)

:doubt:

Its totally geographical...I went out of my way to try things you DO NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO DO when you grew up in west philly. I tried things to see if I liked them....I love to ski now. Snow board...so so....I love deep sea fishing (well, when I was in san diego), I love going to the desert on my quad (and old school three wheeler) I like shooting guns at the range, I enjoy archery, I like to hunt and so on and so on... I refused to be the type person who says, hell, if I never tried it, I dont like it. Screw that. That is as closed minded as the op here.

You are looking for negativity where it doesnt exist. All i said was it was weird to me at the time because i just assumed pretty much EVERYONE knew how to swim. Besides, i was closer to those 9 guys than the rest of the company. It was a running joke that i was the one white guy in that cliche. The only fun i had in bootcamp was with them.

I liked the kids' names, xotoxi. You name your kids something you like, donca?

Seems weird to me, any parent not teaching their kidlet to swim. What happened to that silly idea a brand new baby could learn? We have Y's and public pools here in Cleveland, and the kidlets seem just as many blacks as whites in them to me.

Is it regional, do ya think? I gather there are few public pools down south as a hangover from the days of desegregation.

You clearly have not seen the swimming pool in Paducah, KY. A pool. Down south. Filled with blacks. :eusa_angel:

I liked the kids' names, xotoxi. You name your kids something you like, donca?

Seems weird to me, any parent not teaching their kidlet to swim. What happened to that silly idea a brand new baby could learn? We have Y's and public pools here in Cleveland, and the kidlets seem just as many blacks as whites in them to me.

Is it regional, do ya think? I gather there are few public pools down south as a hangover from the days of desegregation.

You clearly have not seen the swimming pool in Paducah, KY. A pool. Down south. Filled with blacks. :eusa_angel:

Since when is Kentucky "down south"?

But it's good to hear, Sunshine. Mebbe before I die, the Civil Rights Movement will be history, not current events.

Interesting article. I learned to swim at age 3, so can't imagine not knowing how to swim. Yet, many American children don't learn, with Black Americans with a huge percentage of non-swimmers. According to the article, in the UK swimming is a part of the curriculum of their educational system. But, in the U.S. it's up to the parents.

BBC News - Why don't black Americans swim?

Just as a side note, I notice that the drowning victims all have quite creative names...

I'll bite.

The reason is simple... money.

The average price for homes, near lake, river and ocean areas, are at least 10x the value of landlocked areas.

African Americans are less likely to be able to afford to purchase real estate lots near lakes, streams and oceans, simply because they're too expensive.

Why would anyone teach their children how to swim, if it's quite possible that their children will never see waters of that magnitude, within their lifetime?

Would you teach your kid how to explore a volcano, knowing that he/she will never see one? Food for thought.

I was hoping you'd be right.

Read the article: It says that money is not the issue.

Samson, with all due respect, I disagree. Money does dictate culture.

I'm saying that blacks are less likely to be able to afford to live by the lakes, the rivers and the oceans. So why should they prepare for an event that may never happen; the idea that they must swim in order to survive?

Are you currently training to survive a volcano eruption? An avalanche? A tornado? No, you're not!!!

Why...?

Because you don't live in areas where those events may happen... Food for thought.

I live at the Jersey Shore. As I stated before, we have zero black kids on the swim team.

At the risk of being attacked by the race baiters on this board, I will say that I've heard it said by many young black FEMALES that getting their hair wet is an issue. A big issue. :eusa_whistle:

They are not really water proof Madeline and no one wears them except at swim meets. When was the last time you saw someone at the beach or pool in a bathing cap?

Honestly - the first woman I heard mention this was a black PhD at a diversity workshop. She likened mandatory swimming in school to child abuse. I kid you not.

I live at the Jersey Shore. As I stated before, we have zero black kids on the swim team.

At the risk of being attacked by the race baiters on this board, I will say that I've heard it said by many young black FEMALES that getting their hair wet is an issue. A big issue. :eusa_whistle:

having spent my share of time this summer in Deal, Belmar and Long Branch, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there aren't very many black kids in the school.

and judging from your posts, i'm going to guess your community isn't particularly 'diverse'.

:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
To learn to swim, you need a pool (and for most parents, an instructor). I repeat my earlier point: it is regional. There are few public pools down south because of desegregation's aftershocks.

Nobody learns to swim in the ocean, I wouldn't think.

That's not true. My dad learned how to swim in a creek on the family farm.

having spent my share of time this summer in Deal, Belmar and Long Branch, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there aren't very many black kids in the school.

and judging from your posts, i'm going to guess your community isn't particularly 'diverse'.

:eusa_whistle:

28%. Diverse enough?

And I'll go out on a limb and say that Long Branch and Asbury Park High Schools are over 50. :eusa_hand:

Last edited:
I just think its so typical for people to say "Let the schools teach it" Very few public schools have pools, and imagine the cost of building them.

Parents have abrogated nearly all rights and responsibilities to the school systems. Teachers get to play the role of parent and parents get to enjoy the role of the grandparent. And friend. It is unhealthy for our society imo.

I read through all the posts here because I didn't want to repeat this if someone else had already mentioned it. I saw this subject discussed on some program several months ago, and it was being discussed in the context of differences in body structures of races (i.e., Asians are small boned, etc.). White people have a bone structure that results in a longer torso, and it's therefore easier to swim. Blacks have longer legs which puts the naval ("point of balance") higher, and thus are better runners and basketball players. Seriously.

The Takeaway: Black People Better Runners, White People Better Swimmers: Race, Science, and Athletics - The Takeaway

I just think its so typical for people to say "Let the schools teach it" Very few public schools have pools, and imagine the cost of building them.

Parents have abrogated nearly all rights and responsibilities to the school systems. Teachers get to play the role of parent and parents get to enjoy the role of the grandparent. And friend. It is unhealthy for our society imo.

Here in SF it was mandatory to have a basic swimming "card" for a graduation requirement. The schools do not have pools. It was up to the parents to take the kids to where ever they wanted to get lessons and the kids certified.

I read through all the posts here because I didn't want to repeat this if someone else had already mentioned it. I saw this subject discussed on some program several months ago, and it was being discussed in the context of differences in body structures of races (i.e., Asians are small boned, etc.). White people have a bone structure that results in a longer torso, and it's therefore easier to swim. Blacks have longer legs which puts the naval ("point of balance") higher, and thus are better runners and basketball players. Seriously.

The Takeaway: Black People Better Runners, White People Better Swimmers: Race, Science, and Athletics - The Takeaway

And as a swimming instructor... i will flat tell you that race and or body structure made NO DIFFERENCE in the ability to swim or float.

Forum List

Back