Why do so many atheists oppose the death penalty...

Some believe that they have the right to determine the value of a human life but others don't have the same right.

Incorrect. Anyone can make their own determination of the value of human life. Actually, taking another's life, however, is altogether different.

Some believe that they have the right to determine the value of a human life but others don't have the same right.

Incorrect. Anyone can make their own determination of the value of human life. Actually, taking another's life, however, is altogether different.
Some people are not comfortable with the state determining who should live and who should die.

Some people are not comfortable with the state determining who should live and who should die.

In America, it's more likely that it's the citizenry that ultimately make the laws that govern these things. Judges can impose a death sentence only because citizens have given them the authority to do so.

I oppose it because it doesn't work. It is not a deterrent for others and it actually costs more to execute someone than it does to lock them up for life.

One atheist FINALLY answers the question. Thank you.

I answered the question in post #9. Or have you put me on ignore?

I put trolls, idiots and liars on ignore. Are you one of those?

"I oppose the death penalty. I think killing someone is wrong, unless it is in self defense or defense of another life.
And given the number of sentences that have been reversed, the amount of corruption in the justice system and the unreliable nature of the typical witness, I don't believe you can be 100% sure you got the right person."

Is that an answer to the question in the OP?

For the sake of the discussion, let's assume we know the murderer is guilty because we have video of him walking through a daycare shooting babies in the head. Let's also assume, for the sake of this discussion, that the murderer is deemed mentally competent. From the perspective of an atheist, what is the moral compunction to expend resources on such a person when said resources could be invested in someone who might actually contribute to society?

I think the resources expended are the price we pay for not participating in a murder. Once the criminal is caught and imprisoned, they are, for the most part, no longer a threat to society. I do not believe we should have state sponsored murder.

...for people who have committed murder and who can never be released back into public? Since the murderer is usurping resources from the community, why not just execute the murderer so that resources are expended on those that contribute to society?
They always side with evil.

Why is opposing the taking of a human life something you consider evil?

...for people who have committed murder and who can never be released back into public? Since the murderer is usurping resources from the community, why not just execute the murderer so that resources are expended on those that contribute to society?

Maybe you should work in a death row and take care of the animals instead of others.

BTW- there are kids in school today who were prematurely born before the legal abortion date.

So you like to kill babies too.

One atheist FINALLY answers the question. Thank you.

"I oppose the death penalty. I think killing someone is wrong, unless it is in self defense or defense of another life.
And given the number of sentences that have been reversed, the amount of corruption in the justice system and the unreliable nature of the typical witness, I don't believe you can be 100% sure you got the right person."

For the sake of the discussion, let's assume we know the murderer is guilty because we have video of him walking through a daycare shooting babies in the head. Let's also assume, for the sake of this discussion, that the murderer is deemed mentally competent. From the perspective of an atheist, what is the moral compunction to expend resources on such a person when said resources could be invested in someone who might actually contribute to society?

I think the resources expended are the price we pay for not participating in a murder. Once the criminal is caught and imprisoned, they are, for the most part, no longer a threat to society. I do not believe we should have state sponsored murder.

In other words, life is sacred and it should be protected, is that right?

Maybe you should work in a death row and take care of the animals instead of others.

BTW- there are kids in school today who were prematurely born before the legal abortion date.

Nice answer. Not an answer to the question I asked, but nice answer.

I have not spoken about abortion in these forums at all. I asked a simple question. Why do you think being opposed to taking a human life is evil?

I get that they are despicable people and dangerous. I am not defending them at all. I am just asking you a simple question about why you call something evil.

Yes, for the most part. I have not problem with self-defense or taking a life defending others. But I think once someone is imprisoned, they are far less of a threat to anyone.

And if you want to be vengeful about it, they suffer more being in prison for a few decades than they do being put to death in a "humane" manner.

I have not spoken about abortion in these forums at all. I asked a simple question. Why do you think being opposed to taking a human life is evil?

I get that they are despicable people and dangerous. I am not defending them at all. I am just asking you a simple question about why you call something evil.
Because if you value life you let everyone know the intentional taking of life means you forfeit yours.

Average prison term for murder is 10 years.

Yes, for the most part. I have not problem with self-defense or taking a life defending others. But I think once someone is imprisoned, they are far less of a threat to anyone.

And if you want to be vengeful about it, they suffer more being in prison for a few decades than they do being put to death in a "humane" manner.
Most criminals have no issue being in prison. Thus the the revolving door 80% have with prisons.

Because if you value life you let everyone know the intentional taking of life means you forfeit yours.

Average prison term for murder is 10 years.

Too light, I agree. But there is also life without the possibility of parole.

I value life. That still does not answer why you think being opposed to taking a human life is evil. I get that you disagree. But is everything you disagree with evil?

I think a more interesting question is why so many people of faith support capital punishment?
Because we value life, atheists do not.

Thus my abortion question you dodge.

So you value life, and show it by killing someone? Seems an odd way to show it.

I don't discuss abortion. It is one the very few topics I will not discuss. I'm sure you will try and assign a belief to me, and that is fine. Doesn't actually change a thing.

Most criminals have no issue being in prison. Thus the the revolving door 80% have with prisons.

Capital punishment doesn't work as a deterrent. I think most criminals don't want to go to prison. Just because they have been before doesn't show they like it.

This fails as a strawman fallacy.

It’s a lie that ‘atheists’ in particular oppose the death penalty.

Forum List

Back