Why do people rate Russel so high on the all time list?!?!?

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Yes he had a great run back in the day, but the 6'9 Russel would get killed by later gens. I mean he was just about the size of Rodman and not nearly as strong. Against mostly smaller white centers he averaged 15 ppg!

If you had to draft them as rookies would you honestly take Russel over Wilt, Cream, Shaq, Hakeem, Moses, The Admiral, Ewing or even Walton, Mourning, Mutombo, the Chief, Lanier, Reed and Hayes?!?!?!? Honest people would say no fucking way.

Same with Mikan! This guy would suck ass in the 80s and greater! He won't even be drafted nowadays! Yet he regularly makes the top 10 lists!

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Yes he had a great run back in the day, but the 6'9 Russel would get killed by later gens. I mean he was just about the size of Rodman and not nearly as strong. Against mostly smaller white centers he averaged 15 ppg!

If you had to draft them as rookies would you honestly take Russel over Wilt, Cream, Shaq, Hakeem, Moses, The Admiral, Ewing or even Walton, Mourning, Mutombo, the Chief, Lanier, Reed and Hayes?!?!?!? Honest people would say no fucking way.

Same with Mikan! This guy would suck ass in the 80s and greater! He won't even be drafted nowadays! Yet he regularly makes the top 10 lists!

I agree

Yes the Celtics won a lot of championships....but there were only eight teams
Golden State or the Bulls had to beat out 30 teams to win a championship

Bill Russell was great in his day. But the competition was not that strong and he was surrounded by Hall of Famers. Today, the NBA has the best players in the world

The NBA was a different game when Bill Russell played

A good HS team would beat them today

14a6d083a052a964f602640024fa3507--bill-russell-nba-champions.jpg

Again Jordan getting six rings is more impressive than Russell getting eleven

The Bulls had to be the best of 30 NBA teams, they had to go through four rounds of playoffs, they had to beat the best players in the world

The Celtics had to be the best of 8 teams, they had to win one playoff round to be champions. The NBA was mostly slow white guys putting up a two handed set shot

it is not that impressive. the bulls were a Finals-Level team WiTHOUT hitler-mustache.

I agree

Bill Russell was great in his day. But the competition was not that strong and he was surrounded by Hall of Famers. Today, the NBA has the best players in the world

Yep the one that really boils my blood is Mikan! Watch film of him. He is about as skilled as Eric Montross! He wouldn't even be drafted nowadays!

I agree

Yep the one that really boils my blood is Mikan! Watch film of him. He is about as skilled as Eric Montross! He wouldn't even be drafted nowadays!

From what I could see, Mikan had a good post move and was semi-athletic for a big guy
Hardly one of the best of all time, but he stood out in an era of the two handed set shot and underhanded free throws

Rings do not mean everything.

Robert Horry has 5 rings and Barkley and Malone have none. Are you saying Horry was better because he had more rings?

Ask Barkley and Malone if they'd have traded higher stats for a ring

No one said anything about trading. What I am saying is more rings doesn't mean you are the better player. Was Will Perdue, Luc Longley or Bill Cartwright better than Patrick Ewing simply because they had more rings? Nope

I agree

From what I could see, Mikan had a good post move and was semi-athletic for a big guy
Hardly one of the best of all time, but he stood out in an era of the two handed set shot and underhanded free throws

True, good for an era where a 6'9 unathletic white guy towered over shorter white guys.

Forum List

Back