Why do people like horror.

Man of Ethics

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2021
In another thread I discussed a horrible accident in Yellowstone National Park Here. This is an example of 8 seconds of suffering far beyond our comprehension.

Richard Dawkins has time to repent and publicly denounce his former views. If he does not, he is likely to face millions of years of pain 60 times more intensive then the one experienced by a tourist who fell into a geyser.

How can horror fascinate anyone? On one hand it is something out of this World and something very far beyond ordinary. On the other hand, reading these stories makes our own troubles seem minor and insignificant.

In another thread I discussed a horrible accident in Yellowstone National Park Here. This is an example of 8 seconds of suffering far beyond our comprehension.

Richard Dawkins has time to repent and publicly denounce his former views. If he does not, he is likely to face millions of years of pain 60 times more intensive then the one experienced by a tourist who fell into a geyser.

How can horror fascinate anyone? On one hand it is something out of this World and something very far beyond ordinary. On the other hand, reading these stories makes our own troubles seem minor and insignificant.

I enjoy well done horror movies, moreso those suspenseful, not slashers. Probably because it keeps me grounded as to the potential insanity of the world that never fails to shock me. Often fiction is a reflection of reality, somewhere, some place in time, without repeating the actual evil.

Real horror in the world? Individuals suffering isn't interesting at all, it makes me recoil. When history provides us example of those who commit horrors against others though, I believe it's our duty to understand it, to attempt to learn and prevent such actions from repeating in the future. Learn from the abuses of others against humanity to ensure it isn't repeated.

That's far different than taking pleasure in others suffering in general. Anyone who takes pleasure in that is in the minority and a sick anomaly in our society.

Youd be surprised by how little bad burns hurt. Once the nerve endings fry, the pain goes away. I burned the top of my hand when i was stationed on the USS Abraham Lincoln. The skin on top of my hand looked like white wrinkled plastic. They stuck my hand in this machine that swirls water to remove the dead skin. After that the entire top of my hand was an open wound. They were testing how bad the burn was by poking it with needles. I couldnt feel anything. They then used a q-tip to poke my hand with, still nothing. Thats when they knew how bad the burn was. I had to get medevac'd to the Balboa burn center in Sand Diego.

The skin graft surgery is where the REAL pain comes. When they take a big patch skin from your body where the nerves havent been fried, it fucking hurts bad. Its a relentless pain that doesnt let up for days. It hurts for a couple months, but those first few days are a god damn nightmare.

Last edited:

If you are referring to horror movies, why does anyone enjoy War movies? Since it's very beginning, cinema has had the effect of letting us feel emotions and experiences with any risk to ourselves.

So, yeah, we can watch a Freddy Krueger or Jason Vorhees without really wanting to be like them, as long as the story is told in an entertaining way.

My dad was a World War II Vet. He was at Normandy on D+2, and the Battle of the Bulge, and other battles, and looking back, I think he suffered from undiagnosed PTSD, but they didn't have a name for it back then.

But he loved watching WWII movies. You wouldn't think so, having experienced the real thing.

If you are referring to horror movies, why does anyone enjoy War movies? Since it's very beginning, cinema has had the effect of letting us feel emotions and experiences with any risk to ourselves.

So, yeah, we can watch a Freddy Krueger or Jason Vorhees without really wanting to be like them, as long as the story is told in an entertaining way.

My dad was a World War II Vet. He was at Normandy on D+2, and the Battle of the Bulge, and other battles, and looking back, I think he suffered from undiagnosed PTSD, but they didn't have a name for it back then.

But he loved watching WWII movies. You wouldn't think so, having experienced the real thing.
My Grandpa was with the 82nd Airborne on D-Day. Dude flew a fucking hang glider into that hellhole! Yes, they actually used hang gliders on D-Day!

People pay to watch horror movies the same way they vote democrat

I think they get an adrenaline rush as they then sit back and watch calamity ensue on a massive scale

In fact, democrats probably scarf as they watch the news

Sickos.

People pay to watch horror movies the same way they vote democrat

I think they get an adrenaline rush as they then sit back and watch calamity ensue on a massive scale

In fact, democrats probably scarf as they watch the news

Sickos.

Really, I thought that was the mentality of Trump voters.

"Hey, let's put the Malignant Narcissist Game Show Host in charge of the country, that'll own the libs!!!"

Frankly, I'd LOVE to have my life from 2016, before the riots, the plague, the massive recession, the concentration camps, and all the other horrors Trump inflicted on us.

Perhaps a lot of people read these stories as cautionary tales.

How in the world could they determine how much pain and how long a person suffers when he is boiled alive? Is there some documentation left over from Nazi experiments by Dr. Mengele?

Because horror is freaking awesome.
The gore is awesome.
The frequent satanism is awesome.
The morbid minds that dream that shit up is awesome.
The chicks are usually pretty hot.
Whats not to like?

Youd be surprised by how little bad burns hurt. Once the nerve endings fry, the pain goes away. I burned the top of my hand when i was stationed on the USS Abraham Lincoln. The skin on top of my hand looked like white wrinkled plastic. They stuck my hand in this machine that swirls water to remove the dead skin. After that the entire top of my hand was an open wound. They were testing how bad the burn was by poking it with needles. I couldnt feel anything. They then used a q-tip to poke my hand with, still nothing. Thats when they knew how bad the burn was. I had to get medevac'd to the Balboa burn center in Sand Diego.

The skin graft surgery is where the REAL pain comes. When they take a big patch skin from your body where the nerves havent been fried, it fucking hurts bad. Its a relentless pain that doesnt let up for days. It hurts for a couple months, but those first few days are a god damn nightmare.
Thank you for sharing. Best wishes to you now!

How in the world could they determine how much pain and how long a person suffers when he is boiled alive? Is there some documentation left over from Nazi experiments by Dr. Mengele?
No. In USA 1947, burn experiments were conducted on people who consented for good money. Most experiments were conducted on pigs. The results are Here.

It takes 6 seconds for heat to propagate to noxious heat nociceptors 0.6 mm below the skin surface and 2 seconds for 75C heat to destroy these nociceptors.

Nevertheless, as deeper skin layers are consumed by heat, lower residual pain lasts for about three minutes.

Perhaps a lot of people read these stories as cautionary tales.
Also, considering the suffering presented in horror, our own problems seem insignificant.

Richard Dawkins still has time to repent. But if he does not, can you imagine what he will face for preaching Atheism to millions of people.

Pigs? I's easy to tell how long it takes for a pig to die when boiled alive but how do you determine how much pain they endure? I shudder to think about it.

Pigs? I's easy to tell how long it takes for a pig to die when boiled alive but how do you determine how much pain they endure? I shudder to think about it.
They never boiled a pig alive. They inflicted circular hot water burns on pigs. The burns were 25 mm or one inch in diameter.

They never boiled a pig alive. They inflicted circular hot water burns on pigs. The burns were 25 mm or one inch in diameter.
How does that translate to how much pain a human endures when boiled alive? My guess is that the Allies secretly preserved some of Dr. Mengle's experiments on humans.

How does that translate to how much pain a human endures when boiled alive?
1) After 8 seconds in hot water, almost all noxious heat nociceptors are destroyed.

2) The pain experienced during the boiling comes from about 5 million nociceptors firing full strength. That is much more painful then for example a limb amputation when only 100,000 nociceptors are firing at full strength.

Yes, I just had a bad burn on my foot. Had to go to 'wound care' once a week to have the wound scraped every week for almost 2 months. They just used to squirt lidocaine on it before the picking and scraping.

Also, considering the suffering presented in horror, our own problems seem insignificant.

Richard Dawkins still has time to repent. But if he does not, can you imagine what he will face for preaching Atheism to millions of people.
Well these stories of dumbasses getting liquified by trains and falling off cliffs have reminded me to be careful when taking selfies.

Revelations says we all get a do over once the dead are all risen.

Forum List

Back