Who is the Federalist Society and what are they saying about Trump’s impeachment

No doubt these are uncharted waters.
An interesting related article.

Some also argue that the courts would not address the issue because it is a political question or a matter up to the Senate. That’s not true, it is a constitutional matter — May the Senate convict a president after the president has left office? That’s a threshold matter that I think SCOTUS would decide. If SCOTUS answered in the affirmative, then it would not nitpick Senate procedures, but whether the Senate even has constitutional authority is not up to the Senate.
So at best, supporters of post-departure Senate impeachment conviction could say there is an argument for it, but it’s complicated. Opponents merely need to point to the words of the Constitution.
They are not uncharted...

We've impeached two officers after they no longer held their positions....

From your first article
Debate among Federalists and Democratic Republicans swirled around whether they had the right to (a) impeach a senator and (b) impeach an official who had already been expelled. In the end, they voted to stop an impeachment trial without deciding the question. Blount remained popular in Tennessee and held state offices until his death. He was the only U.S. senator to be expelled until the Civil War.

From your second article
A majority of the senators voted to convict Belknap for his crimes, but they failed to reach the two-thirds majority required, so he won acquittal.

Both examples being of different circumstances and characteristics of those particular crimes, compared to Trump are really not comparing apples to apples imo. If Im reading the articles correctly, it was not established that they were not eligible to run for any office again.
Thanks! It's true they did not convict Belknap! But on him, my main point, is they did impeach him, after he no longer held office, and did have a trial in the Senate, 3 weeks o r so, after he had resigned.... and no longer held office..... which is the argument of the debate,

Can one be impeached and tried after no longer in office?

The answer is yes.

Lots of CNN legal scholars here yet it’s apparent no one is a constitutional attorney. Let’s just see how they succeed in bending the Constitution to fit their narrative.
My bet is that they can not.
That’s why I posted the links at the beginning of this thread. A bunch of conservative and libertarian legal experts say that TRUMP absolutely can be tried and convicted.
That's a big fat lie, NAZI.

Lots of CNN legal scholars here yet it’s apparent no one is a constitutional attorney. Let’s just see how they succeed in bending the Constitution to fit their narrative.
My bet is that they can not.
Read the article linked at the start of this thread. The people cited there ARE experts. Conservative and libertarian ones at that.
I doubt the are conservative or libertarian.

Impeach Obama, there is any number of reasons to do so. Once Republicans retake the House after the 2022 elections just do it.
Since it is proven our votes don't matter how are we going to take back anything?

Inciting an insurrection is a crime.
The was no crime committed by Trump.
Criminal offenses are tried in a criminal court of law.
The Senate is not a criminal court of law. ... :cool:
You didn’t read the article, did you.

The Constitution provides for impeachment for “high crimes and misdemeanors“. It also says that the Senate has the sole power to try and convict ANY impeachment.
OK, Impeach Donald Trump. Then kick him out of office! WAIT! He is already out of office!

Inciting an insurrection is a serious crime. Its not a cute prank. 5 people died.

Of course, he did no such thing. Furthermore, the Dims know they will never get 60 senators to vote yes.

OMG. How gullible can one person be.

Look at the story, not at the medium. Can you find anything in the story that isn’t true. THAT is what fact checkers do.

Direct quotes are given from The FEDERALIST SOCIETY lawyers.
The quotes are not written by Politico.

And notice THIS statement (emphasis mine) from their assessment of Politico
  • Overall, we rate Politico Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
There you have it. Rated high for factual reporting.
Why would anyone pay attention to what some fake news sight says?

The FEDERALIST SOCIETY lawyers. Are you talking about lawyers who are members of the Federalist Society, or the lawyers who who work for the FEderalist society.

Only while he is in office, turd.
Show me where it says that in the Constitution.
The Constitution says that the penalty for impeachment is removal from office!
Read the article.
TRUMP 2024!
I hope that America will last the next 1,460 days.
Most of us survived Trump. We‘ll do just fine. But it’s tragic how many DIDN’T survive him and the Trump virus.

More Americans are alive today because of Trump than they would have been under Hillary the NAZI. Trump isn't esponsible for COVID, jackass. The claim that is responsible is Democrat Reich propaganda.

Last edited:
OK, Impeach Donald Trump. Then kick him out of office! WAIT! He is already out of office!
Yeah, but it would be nice to know he could never desecrate the White House. And it would be a nice way to cement his legacy.

Convict, lest we forget.
Yes, we know what Dims want. They also want to make it illegal to be a Republican. They want a NAZI police state.

If time is a factor, then a President can just wait for the "perfect" moment to do whatever the hell he or she wants and get away w/it.

That's not Constitutional.

Congress must be able to convict post-Presidency.

The purpose of impeachment is to get the person out of office, AND if warranted try him criminally or civilly for any crimes or transgressions.

Since he is already out of office, if he broke any laws, he could just be tried for it.

However that would put him in a court of law, not the trial "theater" of the Senate.

Some also argue that the courts would not address the issue because it is a political question or a matter up to the Senate. That’s not true, it is a constitutional matter — May the Senate convict a president after the president has left office? That’s a threshold matter that I think SCOTUS would decide. If SCOTUS answered in the affirmative, then it would not nitpick Senate procedures, but whether the Senate even has constitutional authority is not up to the Senate.
So at best, supporters of post-departure Senate impeachment conviction could say there is an argument for it, but it’s complicated. Opponents merely need to point to the words of the Constitution.

From your first article
Debate among Federalists and Democratic Republicans swirled around whether they had the right to (a) impeach a senator and (b) impeach an official who had already been expelled. In the end, they voted to stop an impeachment trial without deciding the question. Blount remained popular in Tennessee and held state offices until his death. He was the only U.S. senator to be expelled until the Civil War.

From your second article
A majority of the senators voted to convict Belknap for his crimes, but they failed to reach the two-thirds majority required, so he won acquittal.

Both examples being of different circumstances and characteristics of those particular crimes, compared to Trump are really not comparing apples to apples imo. If Im reading the articles correctly, it was not established that they were not eligible to run for any office again.
Thanks! It's true they did not convict Belknap! But on him, my main point, is they did impeach him, after he no longer held office, and did have a trial in the Senate, 3 weeks o r so, after he had resigned.... and no longer held office..... which is the argument of the debate,

The answer is yes.
A senator is not the President, you dumb NAZI.

The Constitution doesn't grant Congress that power, NAZI.
The Constitution doesn't say that they can impeach a wayward President?
150 conservative and libertarian legal experts disagree with you. But hey, your rants make you better qualified than all of them combine.

BTW. Where did you get YOUR law degree?
ROFL! We know your story is nothing but Democrat Reich propaganda. I can read the Constitution, NAZI, It's also gauranteed you are mischaracterizating the people you're referring to.

I've never hear of a person who voluntarily left a company he worked for when his contract was over and went home.
And then officially fired weeks later by the new management of the company. ... :cuckoo:

It is now solely in the hands of the Senate toed side whether a crime has been committed. if this goes to trial, there is no court of appeal. Trump could argue to the courts that he can’t be tried, if it goes to trial, the Senate decides.
From the Constitution:

"When the President of the United States is tried "

Is Trump President of the United States?

The was no crime committed by Trump.
Criminal offenses are tried in a criminal court of law.
The Senate is not a criminal court of law. ... :cool:
Impeachment has already happened. Conviction by the Senate is a political process. When a commander in chief for months eggs on his followers to disrupt a certified election of his replacement, rallies them together and unleashes them on Congress, then does nothing to protect Congress for hours while he watches “his people” waving “his flags” violently seize the Capitol Building, we are dealing with exactly the kind of treason to our Republic &high crimes and misdemeanors” that the impeachment process was meant to deal with.

In other countries parliaments can quickly pass a “no confidence” motion to bring down such an outrageous President or Prime Minister. Our system provides mainly just this awkward impeachment process. If not enough Republican Senators rise to support impeachment, what is left of Congressional authority will be fatally wounded. This is not about what is temporarily popular with any party’s supporters, but about defense of what is left of our Republic’s basic institutions.

From your first article

From your second article

The answer is yes.
A senator is not the President, you dumb NAZI.
It was the Secretary of War, that was impeached after he had already resigned.

The constitution has the President, the vice president, and office holders all in the same sentence when speaking on who can be impeached....

There is no special rule for presidents being separate. NOR any talk on why presidents are different than vice presidents or office holders on impeachment.

Show me where it says that in the Constitution.
The Constitution says that the penalty for impeachment is removal from office!
Read the article.
TRUMP 2024!
Did you read the article or are you just too lazy. I‘ll make it easy for you. Just click on the link in my signature. You’re somewhat uninformed about what the Constitution, but a little reading can solve that.
Politico is biased. Politico - Media Bias Fact Check
BTW, thanks for the link. POLITICO RANKED VERY HIGH ON TRUTH. How do YOUR news sources rank? All you did was to show my source is reliable.

I've never hear of a person who voluntarily left a company he worked for when his contract was over and went home.
And then officially fired weeks later by the new management of the company. ... :cuckoo:

It is now solely in the hands of the Senate toed side whether a crime has been committed. if this goes to trial, there is no court of appeal. Trump could argue to the courts that he can’t be tried, if it goes to trial, the Senate decides.
From the Constitution:

Donald Trump is now a private citizen!

From the Constitution:

So what. That is irrelevant. I’ve showed you what the Constitution says
Trump has already impeached and nowhere is it said that it expires.

The constitution states that the Senate has the sole Power to try ALL impeachments.

what part of the word “all” don’t you understand. It’s a simple word. Why don’t you understand it. Do you want some links to the definition.

From The Federalist Society legal experts (conservatives and libertarians.

“Impeachment is the exclusive constitutional means for removing a president (or other officer) before his or her term expires,” they wrote. “But nothing in the provision authorizing impeachment-for-removal limits impeachment to situations where it accomplishes removal from office. Indeed, such a reading would thwart and potentially nullify a vital aspect of the impeachment power: the power of the Senate to impose disqualification from future office as a penalty for conviction.”

Last edited:

From the Constitution:

The constitution states that the Senate has the sole Power to try ALL impeachments.

what part of the word “all” don’t you understand. It’s a simple word. Why don’t you understand it. Do you want some links to the definition.

“Impeachment is the exclusive constitutional means for removing a president (or other officer) before his or her term expires,” they wrote. “But nothing in the provision authorizing impeachment-for-removal limits impeachment to situations where it accomplishes removal from office. Indeed, such a reading would thwart and potentially nullify a vital aspect of the impeachment power: the power of the Senate to impose disqualification from future office as a penalty for conviction.”
The Constitution says the Senate is in charge of trying the President, not some private citizen off the street, dumbfuck.

From the Constitution:

However wrote that is a lying imbecile:

Note the following:

"When the President of the United States is tried "​
Trump isn't the President of the United States, dumbfuck. These morons who claim to be experts on the Constitution have obviously never read it.

Forum List

Back