When you see stars in the sky

For every 20 stars you see…there averages out to be 1/20 that has an earth like planet

Pretty incredible snd Earth could be one of tens of billions that has life

Light from the most distant stars has been traveling since just after the formation of the universe. The closest star to our solar system is Proxima Centauri. It takes about four years for its light to reach us, and 13.3 billion years for light from the farthest known galaxy to get here.

Kinda makes us feel small and alone, doesn't it?

Most aliens will be stuck at their place of origin because they lack the intelligence to escape. I happen to think less intelligent life probably exists all over the place, and maybe even on moons in our own solar system.

That being said it's also extremely unlikely that we're the smartest creatures in the universe. There are probably life forms that make us look completely stupid by comparison. There's really no knowing how rare that kind of intelligence is though.

We may never find other creatures as smart as or smarter than us. Though it's also possible that what we would consider advanced intelligence isn't as rare as we think. We're only the smartest creatures on one planet. It's hard to know how that stacks up universally.

If you lined up all of the smartest creatures from a billion different planets where would we really fall on the hierarchy? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:
Most aliens will be stuck at their place of origin because they lack the intelligence to escape. I happen to think less intelligent life probably exists all over the place, and maybe even on moons in our own solar system.

That being said it's also extremely unlikely that we're the smartest creatures in the universe. There are probably life forms that make us look completely stupid by comparison. There's really no knowing how rare that kind of intelligence is though.

We may never find other creatures as smart as or smarter than us. Though it's also possible that what we would consider advanced intelligence isn't as rare as we think. We're only the smartest creatures on one planet. It's hard to know how that stacks up universally.

If you lined up all of the smartest creatures from a billion different planets where would we really fall on the hierarchy? Your guess is as good as mine.
My guess is we are still pretty low on that Totem pole.
Pretty sure there are beacons just outside our system that warns others to avoid the crazy upright primates on the third world from Sol.

For every 20 stars you see…there averages out to be 1/20 that has an earth like planet

Pretty incredible snd Earth could be one of tens of billions that has life

You sure about that? I think "earth like" might be true in size and distance from star, but not at all true in atmosphere and ability to sustain life. I think we're a lot more rare than 1/20

My guess is we are still pretty low on that Totem pole.
Pretty sure there are beacons just outside our system that warns others to avoid the crazy upright primates on the third world from Sol.
It could also be possible that intelligent species with a higher tendency towards violence are doomed to destroy themselves with technology. Maybe the aliens are just watching us and waiting for it to all go boom.

Forum List

Back