Whatta great CON! Cash 4 Clunkers rebates are TAXABLE INCOME!!!

The libs do think that Obama farts gold dust.

Obama has given a lot of ammuntion for the conservatives to bitch

Obama has given a few big points for conservatives to bitch about. I agree.

But, as I was just pointing out on another thread, the right-wing scream-machine has been criticizing every tiny bit of minutiae they can find about Obama...
...from where he took the wife to dinner, to what kind of beer he's drinking, to what style of jeans he wears when he goes to a ball game.

I've never seen just a bunch of haters. It's sad, very sad.

He is easy to hate, because he is spending our country into poverty. He is a complete idiot when it comes to economics, and yet he has the power to force these mandated expenditures on the American people.

Ya KNEW there had to be a catch!

Whoops! Cash For Clunkers Payments Are Taxable!

Some of the drivers that bought new cars through cash for clunkers are learning that it wasn't quite the deal they hoped for. But many of those cashing in on the clunkers program are surprised when they get to the treasurer's office windows. That's because the government's rebate of up to $4500 dollars for every clunker is taxable.

"They didn't realize that would be taxable. A lot of people don't realize that. So they're not happy and kind of surprised when they find that out," Nelson said.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That'll leave a bad taste in some mouths!

I'm gonna need OXYGEN to get through this laugh.... Be back later after I recover..... Can barely type.... They wanna also run our health care..... can't stand it will be back later....

LOL!!!!!!! These dumb ass sheople will never learn bro. ~BH

He is easy to hate, because he is spending our country into poverty. He is a complete idiot when it comes to economics, and yet he has the power to force these mandated expenditures on the American people.

Lol, this coming from the folks who got us into this recession/mini-depression in the first place.

Yeah, I guess we should definitely listen to you folks when it comes to economics.

:lol:

This thread is like Glenn Beck's little BS Piece on how the "Cash for Clunkers" program was just "a cover to let the government take control of your computer".

Of course he forgot to mention that the agreement he was talking about only applied to dealers...

Or that the laptop he was using was signing on to a dealer account...

Wow, in my town that would be a whopping $270. The horror.

$270 is still $270 to me, and it could be a whole lot more if it's enough to put them in another tax bracket!

Last I checked, 4500 minus 270 would equal a net gain of 4230.
Also, sounds like you don't understand how tax brackets work.

Maybe I don't then. If I'm sitting just below the next highest tax bracket, and this "income" puts me over that threshold, am I not going to pay more base tax, as well as a higher percentage of the amount over the bracket threshold?

Is the credit subject to being taxed as income to the consumers that participate in the program?

NO. The CARS Act expressly provides that the credit is not income for the consumer.

Do I have to pay State or local sales tax on the amount of the CARS program credit?

MAYBE. The question of whether a consumer must pay State or local sales tax on the amount of the CARS program credit depends on the sales tax law of each State or locality. Consumers should review the law of their respective States or consult a tax advisor to answer this question.

CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Helpful Q&As for Consumers - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

Some of the drivers that bought new cars through cash for clunkers are learning that it wasn't quite the deal they hoped for. But many of those cashing in on the clunkers program are surprised when they get to the treasurer's office windows. That's because the government's rebate of up to $4500 dollars for every clunker is taxable.

"They didn't realize that would be taxable. A lot of people don't realize that. So they're not happy and kind of surprised when they find that out," Nelson said.

I'm gonna need OXYGEN to get through this laugh.... Be back later after I recover..... Can barely type.... They wanna also run our health care..... can't stand it will be back later....

You expected anything less? Wait until the sheeple discover Obama cut withholding for our "extra" $10. of what we already earn but hasn't changed the tax tables so the Reich will gets its money back in April.:lol:

Then what? You're reflexively defending this by trying to make it sound like it's no big deal! It's perfectly okay with you, correct?

Yes.
Why wouldn't it be okay? You pay sales tax on the full purchase price, no matter who pays the purchase price. It's not rocket science...but tell me, why would you want to rip off your state? Most states are hurting for tax revenues these days.
Strawman argument. The GOVERNMENT is ripping YOU off, by not making this rebate non-taxable! Because they didn't think it through.

And by the way, my state doesn't collect any state income tax, and is IN THE BLACK as in, SURPLUS.

Disagree. The Fed thought it through alright. It's everyone else that hasn't.

You expected anything less? Wait until the sheeple discover Obama cut withholding for our "extra" $10. of what we already earn but hasn't changed the tax tables so the Reich will gets its money back in April.:lol:

Are you sure that's how a tax CREDIT/REBATE works? A tax RATE cut would change the tax tables, but a CREDIT for people earning under a certain amount of income would not require a change in the tables nor the recipients to pay back the CREDIT.

I think you've been the victim of the GOP Hate-Run CON$ervative media taking a half truth, "the tax rate tables were not changed," and spinning it into a whole lie, therefore "the tax CREDIT will be payed back in April."

$270 is still $270 to me, and it could be a whole lot more if it's enough to put them in another tax bracket!

Last I checked, 4500 minus 270 would equal a net gain of 4230.
Also, sounds like you don't understand how tax brackets work.

Maybe I don't then. If I'm sitting just below the next highest tax bracket, and this "income" puts me over that threshold, am I not going to pay more base tax, as well as a higher percentage of the amount over the bracket threshold?

You're going to pay the percentage for the bracket you're currently in up to the top of its band, then pay the percentage of the higher bracket for the amount over the band.

:lol: I'm actually not an Obama fan
You actually are, you reflexively defend everything he does, and you continue to stick to your lies and strawmen even after they're repeatedly proven wrong.

You're a waste of bandwidth, truly.
Well, thanks. At least I'm not an idiot like you that thinks the Federal government has the right to tell my state what they may or may not consider taxable income.
But, they do have. Federal grants are a good example of it. That is not allowed to be considered income, anywhere.

And that's what they should have done here, but instead they wanted to have a little ponzi scheme to basically take your money, give a little of it back to you, then have the states tax you again on the little bit of YOUR money they took from you! Nice double taxation! Great scam!

They waterboarded Bernie Madoff to get this scheme!

And I apologize for calling you an idiot, and stupid. You're neither of those.

Why wouldn't it be okay? You pay sales tax on the full purchase price, no matter who pays the purchase price. It's not rocket science...but tell me, why would you want to rip off your state? Most states are hurting for tax revenues these days.
Strawman argument. The GOVERNMENT is ripping YOU off, by not making this rebate non-taxable! Because they didn't think it through.

And by the way, my state doesn't collect any state income tax, and is IN THE BLACK as in, SURPLUS.

Disagree. The Fed thought it through alright. It's everyone else that hasn't.
You're right. I'd only realized just late last night, that this con was the result of careful planning.

Help me out here MM.

Who's doing the taxing?

The Fed or the State you reside in?

I heard that the amount....up to 4500 must be listed as income on your w-4...thus being taxable for Federal, State and local....but that is 3rd hand to me.

Do you have a link showing otherwise?

Last edited:
Help me out here MM.

Who's doing the taxing?

I heard that the amount....up to 4500 must be listed as income on your w-4...thus being taxable for Federal, State and local....but that is 3rd hand to me.

Always watch out for that third hand. :)

Upthread I posted it :

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1456322-post49.html

Morning oldandtired!

:hug:

Hey....you get my email?

Thats why I refused to post in this thread until I had the facts.

Yes...I DO research before I repeat something......although some of the children in this forum believe otherwise.

Is the credit subject to being taxed as income to the consumers that participate in the program?

NO. The CARS Act expressly provides that the credit is not income for the consumer.

Do I have to pay State or local sales tax on the amount of the CARS program credit?

MAYBE. The question of whether a consumer must pay State or local sales tax on the amount of the CARS program credit depends on the sales tax law of each State or locality. Consumers should review the law of their respective States or consult a tax advisor to answer this question.

CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Helpful Q&As for Consumers - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

Help me out here MM.

Who's doing the taxing?

As I have posted toooooo many times to count, nobody plays dumb better than CON$!!! :rofl:

The link was already posted in this thread, but SOMEHOW you missed it. :cuckoo:

You should know by now that your CON$ervative sources are completely unreliable even when they are first hand, so 3rd hand is less than worthless.

Forum List

Back