Whats Teh Best Dog Breed

Im a mutt then. I asked my girl and she said cats are where it is. I see there value, but they are like that guy or gal who only comes around for a booty call. Cats have an attitude like " sure, feed me, pet me, scratch me betwixt the ears, i will never leave". But then take off when they get there fill. Dogs on the other hand are more like the committed guy or gal. They are in it for the long haul. As for mutts, I think there is an article somewhere that says they have less health issues then pure breed dogs. Anyone hear that before ?

Yes, I've heard that before, about mutts being healthier, but it isn't necessarily true.

The theory is that pure bred dogs are more likely to have health problems passed along through their lineage. Good breeders work to prevent this from happening, however.

My Dobermans are both seven years old, one is about to turn eight, and they've never had any serious health problems, although the breed is prone to a couple of conditions inlcuding a heart condition that will drop them without warning. Doesn't mean they'll have it, though, and other breeds get it too. Even mutts. Oh, they've made many trips to the vet, all right, but that's because of injuries because they're so dang athletic and rowdy! : )

Last edited:
Chessie by far for out family. My wife has had 11 in her life. I wouldn't trade Tippi for anything. I wish I could be the man she thinks I am.

Im a mutt then. I asked my girl and she said cats are where it is. I see there value, but they are like that guy or gal who only comes around for a booty call. Cats have an attitude like " sure, feed me, pet me, scratch me betwixt the ears, i will never leave". But then take off when they get there fill. Dogs on the other hand are more like the committed guy or gal. They are in it for the long haul. As for mutts, I think there is an article somewhere that says they have less health issues then pure breed dogs. Anyone hear that before ?

Yes, I've heard that before, about mutts being healthier, but it isn't necessarily true.

The theory is that pure bred dogs are more likely to have health problems passed along through their lineage. Good breeders work to prevent this from happening, however.

My Dobermans are both seven years old, one is about to turn eight, and they've never had any serious health problems, although the breed is prone to a couple of conditions inlcuding a heart condition that will drop them without warning. Doesn't mean they'll have it, though, and other breeds get it too. Even mutts. Oh, they've made many trips to the vet, all right, but that's because of injuries because they're so dang athletic and rowdy! : )

I have heard Dobies get lots of athletic injuries, pulled muscles and tendons and stuff like that.

I think Mutts are a breed. Their mothers come from very fine families and the fathers come from a long line of champion fence jumpers. Can't beat the breeding.

Ridgebacks are a favorite of mine.

dukem.jpg

Dalmatians are good dogs...

... not too big, not too small...

... short-hair so they're easy to take care of...

... good around kids and have a good bark so they are good to have around as a watchdog...

... a bit hyper when they're young and can knock a small child down being playful so ya gotta watch that...

... but overall good dogs.
:cool:

... good around kids and have a good bark so they are good to have around as a watchdog...

... a bit hyper when they're young and can knock a small child down being playful so ya gotta watch that...

Ahhh Damnations. ;)

Although they're pretty and friendly I've never met one that wasn't dumber than their food dish. They're great dogs for someone else to own and you to visit IMHO. :) Then they're just awesome happy go lucky balls of hyper fun.

Then again, what do we expect from a coach dog bred to run along sign of coaches so if wolves or some other predator attacks the horses, they will get the dogs first.

Anyway, they are fun and as puppies are awesome fun.

Ahhh Damnations. ;)

Although they're pretty and friendly I've never met one that wasn't dumber than their food dish. They're great dogs for someone else to own and you to visit IMHO. :) Then they're just awesome happy go lucky balls of hyper fun.

Then again, what do we expect from a coach dog bred to run along sign of coaches so if wolves or some other predator attacks the horses, they will get the dogs first.

Anyway, they are fun and as puppies are awesome fun.

To bad you cant meet the dog in my avatar pic. he would reset all your thinking on dumb dogs. But we love him any way.

Rescued is the best breed. Actually, rescued/adopted from the spca border collie mixes are the best breed. EVERRRR.

IMG_0520-1.jpg

Well, I don't necessarily agree with you on that. I have a rescued Shar Pei and my life would be better without her in it. I just don't like the breed. But I have two Dobermans I purchased and brought home when they were only 6 weeks and a day old, and they have totally and completely stolen my heart. I have two rescued minpins as well, and although I love them, they do not hold a candle to my dobies raised from tiny pups.

Don't get me wrong, I love them all, and spoil them all. But not all have stolen my heart.

That said, I am very partial to Dobermans. Extremely intelligent, insanely athletic, loyal, proud, funny, playful and ever watchful. On top of that they have short, easy-to-care-for coats and they are soooo beautiful. I will just stop and watch them sometimes, they are so beautiful to look at.

Last edited:
Rescued is the best breed. Actually, rescued/adopted from the spca border collie mixes are the best breed. EVERRRR.

IMG_0520-1.jpg

Well, I don't necessarily agree with you on that. I have a rescued Shar Pei and my life would be better without her in it. I just don't like the breed. But I have two Dobermans I purchased and brought home when they were only 6 weeks and a day old, and they have totally and completely stolen my heart. I have two rescued minpins as well, and although I love them, they do not hold a candle to my dobies raised from tiny pups.

Don't get me wrong, I love them all, and spoil them all. But not all have stolen my heart.

That said, I am very partial to Dobermans. Extremely intelligent, insanely athletic, loyal, proud and ever watchful. On top of that they have short, easy-to-care-for coats and they are soooo beautiful. I will just stop and watch them sometimes, they are so beautiful to look at.

Shar pai are hard to love, but those tha love them really love them.

I have heard Dobies get lots of athletic injuries, pulled muscles and tendons and stuff like that.

Aye, mine do! : ( Especially having two, they tear around chasing each other and playing "bite the butt." They run with reckless abandon and total joy, but also with a great deal of agility. But this would not stop me from getting another one. They're not always nursing an injury, long periods of time go by without a mishap. : )

IMG_0520-1.jpg

That said, I am very partial to Dobermans. Extremely intelligent, insanely athletic, loyal, proud and ever watchful. On top of that they have short, easy-to-care-for coats and they are soooo beautiful. I will just stop and watch them sometimes, they are so beautiful to look at.

Shar pai are hard to love, but those tha love them really love them.

Yeah, I've noticed on Shar Pei breeder websites that they really think their dogs are something. I just get tired of being unable to touch her without getting bodily fluids on my hands. : ( That's probably my worst complaint.

But I work very hard to make her feel loved.

IMG_0520-1.jpg

That said, I am very partial to Dobermans. Extremely intelligent, insanely athletic, loyal, proud, funny, playful and ever watchful. On top of that they have short, easy-to-care-for coats and they are soooo beautiful. I will just stop and watch them sometimes, they are so beautiful to look at.

That's cause you didn't adopt a border collie mix! ;) heh, I'm just kidding you.

Our dogs are the best . . . easy-going, fun to play with, excellent heaters on cold nights. There's always a risk with rescued/spca dogs but . . . if you take your time looking (we took well over a month looking for Penny, the white dog) you can find the right dog/right temperament/right fit for you. Dio (the little black dog) was a happy accident but we had been 'on the lookout' for a second dog (all while trying to convince the hubs that yes, a second dog is too a good idea) for quite some time. So when we stumbled upon Dio we knew he was right for us because we knew what to look for.

Our neighbors got a shar pei about 3 or 4 years ago. I still can't figure out why they drove 8 hours to buy an expensive dog that clearly isn't a people person and is the last dog that would ever play with their two young boys. My youngest watches their dog when they go away and I've gone over a few times . . . just not my type of dog. Very aloof, uninterested, uncuddly and does not want to be petted. She's like that with my daughter too and she knows her pretty well. And they've had her since she was about 12 weeks or so. Some dog breeds are like that and it would benefit folks to read up on a particular breed before adopting/rescuing.

I'm all for adopting from the spca first rather than getting an animal that's in a foster home situation because the spca dogs are pretty much at their last stop. The foster dogs have a safe place until adopted.

Last edited:

IMG_0520-1.jpg

That's cause you didn't adopt a border collie mix! ;) heh, I'm just kidding you.

Our dogs are the best . . . easy-going, fun to play with, excellent heaters on cold nights. There's always a risk with rescued/spca dogs but . . . if you take your time looking (we took well over a month looking for Penny, the white dog) you can find the right dog/right temperament/right fit for you. Dio (the little black dog) was a happy accident but we had been 'on the lookout' for a second dog (all while trying to convince the hubs that yes, a second dog is too a good idea) for quite some time. So when we stumbled upon Dio we knew he was right for us because we knew what to look for.

Our neighbors got a shar pei about 3 or 4 years ago. I still can't figure out why they drove 8 hours to buy an expensive dog that clearly isn't a people person and is the last dog that would ever play with their two young boys. My youngest watches their dog when they go away and I've gone over a few times . . . just not my type of dog. Very aloof, uninterested, uncuddly and does not want to be petted. She's like that with my daughter too and she knows her pretty well. And they've had her since she was about 12 weeks or so. Some dog breeds are like that and it would benefit folks to read up on a particular breed before adopting/rescuing.

I'm all for adopting from the spca first rather than getting an animal that's in a foster home situation because the spca dogs are pretty much at their last stop. The foster dogs have a safe place until adopted.

Yankee (ave pic) just walked up and decided to stay. It cost him his balls, but he seems to be ok with the swap.

Forum List

Back