What's going on with Marlon Mack?!

Riff Raff

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2022
Wow! Surprised to see Marlon Mack was released from the Houston Texans then signed to the practice squad before being released from it, too.

What's going on with him? Is he being overlooked? Did his injury heal well? Is his confidence down or is there an attitude problem now?

He was consistently good with the Colts but then Chris Ballard became infatuated with Jonathan Taylor from his alma mater and traded up to get him (with good reason, we now know). Mack and Taylor were going to split carries until Mack got an ACL tear that put him out for the season.

Taylor is too good to share a backfield with another same-style back (he'll share with Nyheim Hines this year but Hines has unique skills, too). So Mack wasn't needed last year and since he doesn't play special teams (which the Colts prioritize with backups) he was often not even active for games last year.

Because of that, I thought the league had a misperception of his true value and that's why teams weren't showing interest. When the Texans finally signed him I expected he'd show his stuff. But he didn't make the roster and was just released from their practice squad. 😯

Once running backs get injured we will see him again. Someone will sign him when the injuries begin. David Johnson was a beast for a year or two in Arizona, and then was never heard from again. RB's can have short careers.

Once running backs get injured we will see him again. Someone will sign him when the injuries begin. David Johnson was a beast for a year or two in Arizona, and then was never heard from again. RB's can have short careers.
I hope we see him again, for sure. He's fast, follows his blockers (he learned well from Frank Gore his rookie year) until the hole opens then hits it quick.

True about their short careers, though. Maybe he's not the same after that ACL tear, too, but he looked good in camp and preseason last year.

Forum List

Back