What Would King Say?

His stance should not be confused with non confrontation. That's where most people make their mistake in their assessment of Dr. King.
I don't see how anyone could see Dr. King as anything BUT confrontational! It was the heart of his entire movement. The power of non-violence..in the face of injustice and inequality--shown by Gandhi made a huge impression on Dr. King. Only by confronting the naked power of the oppressor could his approach work. The sights of woman and children being attacked by police dogs and pummeled by fire hoses in Selma had more impact on America than 10 riots--not that the riots didn't have their place as well.
King was far more to be feared than Malcolm X...although all voices and approaches were needed.
In the end, Dr. King provided what was needed most..a martyr. A hard thing to say..but he knew it all along.
His star will shine forever~

I don't see how anyone could see Dr. King as anything BUT confrontational! It was the heart of his entire movement. The power of non-violence..in the face of injustice and inequality--shown by Gandhi made a huge impression on Dr. King. Only by confronting the naked power of the oppressor could his approach work. The sights of woman and children being attacked by police dogs and pummeled by fire hoses in Selma had more impact on America than 10 riots--not that the riots didn't have their place as well.
King was far more to be feared than Malcolm X...although all voices and approaches were needed.
In the end, Dr. King provided what was needed most..a martyr. A hard thing to say..but he knew it all along.
His star will shine forever~
Actually X was more feared and being black and alive at that time, the last thing that was needed was another martyr. King and X hold equal weight in black America. King spoke about riots and really, white America really has nothing to say about riots since bloodty Sunday was a riot by whites on black marchers and Birmingham was a white riot against blacks too.

Many like you USMB right wingers love to misquote King to defend the continued maintenance of a racist system. But his words are documented.

'Whenever this issue of compensatory or preferential treatment for the Negro is raised,'' Dr. King wrote, ''some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic. For it is obvious that if a man is entered at the starting line in a race 300 years after another man, the first would have to perform some impossible feat in order to catch up with his fellow runner.''

MISSTATING` DR. KING`S VIEWS?

Jonathan K. Baum, Staff attorney and clinical fellow, Mandel Legal Aid Clinic, University of Chicago Law SchoolCHICAGO TRIBUNE

The Jan. 11 edition of your newspaper accurately reported that Assistant U.S. Atty. Gen. William Bradford Reynolds claimed, in a speech at the University of Chicago Law School, that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. shared the Reagan administration`s opposition to any ''preferential treatment'' for blacks in compensation for historical discrimination. Too bad Mr. Reynolds failed to report Dr. King`s views as accurately as you reported Mr. Reynolds`. In his 1964 book, ''Why We Can`t Wait,'' Dr. King specifically repudiated the Reagan/Reynolds approach.

Just because you are black doesn’t mean you are the authority on everything black. Yes, white people have the right to their opinions on King, regardless of what you think.

Actually X was more feared and being black and alive at that time, the last thing that was needed was another martyr. King and X hold equal weight in black America. King spoke about riots and really, white America really has nothing to say about riots since bloodty Sunday was a riot by whites on black marchers and Birmingham was a white riot against blacks too.
I don't think enough white Americans even knew who X was--and sure didn't in the 60's. The radicalized youth, sure. But King got far more mainstream air-time....since White America took great pains to marginalize X.
White America looked at X and looked at King---and saw their choices as obvious.
I obviously can't speak as to who holds what position in the Black community....in the White world I live in..King is revered, while X is given the obligatory nod--and not spoken of again~

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
I don't think enough white Americans even knew who X was--and sure didn't in the 60's. The radicalized youth, sure. But King got far more mainstream air-time....since White America took great pains to marginalize X.
White America looked at X and looked at King---and saw their choices as obvious.
I obviously can't speak as to who holds what position in the Black community....in the White world I live in..King is revered, while X is given the obligatory nod--and not spoken of again~
There were many more than X and King. Carmachael, Newton, Gregory, Whitney Young, Fannie Lou Hamer. The white world was scared of X, and to be honest, whites have always favored the black person who seemed docile and non threatening. As compared to X, that was King. Whites love it when everybody else talks about non violence but when it comes to things that bother whites, non violence is the last thing on many of their minds.

No, I voted for a man who was vice president to a black president. Your commets are disingenuous, but you're the idiot that keeps trying to tell me how I support a man I never voted for. On top of that, I certainly wasn't going to vote for the birther.
You voted for a man who spent forty seven years in the Federal Government and accomplished exactly nothing. Except enriching himself and his family.

Last edited:
Many like you USMB right wingers love to misquote King to defend the continued maintenance of a racist system. But his words are documented.

'Whenever this issue of compensatory or preferential treatment for the Negro is raised,'' Dr. King wrote, ''some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic. For it is obvious that if a man is entered at the starting line in a race 300 years after another man, the first would have to perform some impossible feat in order to catch up with his fellow runner.''

Jonathan K. Baum, Staff attorney and clinical fellow, Mandel Legal Aid Clinic, University of Chicago Law SchoolCHICAGO TRIBUNE

The Jan. 11 edition of your newspaper accurately reported that Assistant U.S. Atty. Gen. William Bradford Reynolds claimed, in a speech at the University of Chicago Law School, that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. shared the Reagan administration`s opposition to any ''preferential treatment'' for blacks in compensation for historical discrimination. Too bad Mr. Reynolds failed to report Dr. King`s views as accurately as you reported Mr. Reynolds`. In his 1964 book, ''Why We Can`t Wait,'' Dr. King specifically repudiated the Reagan/Reynolds approach.

To the OP, there you go again. I found MLK to be racist, didn't. The Man object to negros getting drafted to go to the Vietnam war after Whites marched with him in the 1960s?

The Great MLK would say you are an idiot.

You voted for a man who spent forty seven years in the Federal Government and accomplished exactly nothing. Except enriching himself and his family.
No, I didn't. I voted against a man who spent the last four years tearing apart the country while trying to implement a white supremacist autocracy.

If King were alive today, then there would be very few if any schools and streets named for him. There would be no monument to MLK jr. in DC and there would be no MLK jr holiday. And most people wouldn't care about what he says any more than people care about what Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton say. Being assassinated made King a martyr and promoted him to sainthood; it was the best thing that could ever happen for his legacy in history.

To the OP, there you go again. I found MLK to be racist, didn't. The Man object to negros getting drafted to go to the Vietnam war after Whites marched with him in the 1960s?
I don't give a fuck what you found. Blacks have fought in every war and that includes the ones when we were slaves and during jim crow. So GFY.

If King were alive today, then there would be very few if any schools and streets named for him. There would be no monument to MLK jr. in DC and there would be no MLK jr holiday. And most people wouldn't care about what he says any more than people care about what Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton say. Being assassinated made King a martyr and promoted him to sainthood; it was the best thing that could ever happen for his legacy in history.
Incorrect. You racists want to underplay things but nothing you say here is right. Sharpton is so not listrned to that he's had a TV show on a major network for 10 years. Your god, trump can't even keep a blog. King would have been bigger than that.

Westvall, what do you know about King other than the one sentence racists whites repeat over and over when they try deflecting?

You guys do know that King is talking about reparations in this comment.

I don't give a fuck what you found. Blacks have fought in every war and that includes the ones when we were slaves and during jim crow. So GFY.
MLK opposed negros fighting a war after getting civil rights. He was racist. You can't march for equality. Then complain when they get drafted to fight a war in our nation. And, ironically, you despise Richard Nixon who ended, that war and the draft!

No, I voted for a man who was vice president to a black president. Your commets are disingenuous, but you're the idiot that keeps trying to tell me how I support a man I never voted for. On top of that, I certainly wasn't going to vote for the birther.
All Joe Biden did was target your people with the crime bill, and you voted for him? You want to see an idiot look in the mirror! Trump-Pence reversed that and lifted everyone. Across the board, economically, black unemployment is over eight percent. Maybe you should make the right decision in 2024! But I doubt you will your not that bright.

MLK opposed negros fighting a war after getting civil rights. He was racist. You can't march for equality. Then complain when they get drafted to fight a war in our nation. And, ironically, you despise Richard Nixon who ended, that war and the draft!

That's not racism you fucking idiot. And he opposed vietnam period, not just for blacks. Fuck Richard Nixon. You must be retarded to bring him up in a conversation about King.

That's not racism you fucking idiot. And he opposed vietnam period, not just for blacks. Fuck Richard Nixon. You must be retarded to bring him up in a conversation about King.
Yes, it is racism, and you are the idiot. Your grammar is awful. You missed punctuation and capitalization. Nixon ended the war that MLK opposed, and that's so rude to insult a veteran who became a two-term president because you don't like white people.

Last edited:
All Joe Biden did was target your people with the crime bill, and you voted for him? You want to see an idiot look in the mirror! Trump-Pence reversed that and lifted everyone. Across the board, economically, black unemployment is over eight percent. Maybe you should make the right decision in 2024! But I doubt you will your not that bright.
Joe Bidens didn't target anyone and that crime bill had a lot of things in it like increased funding for juvenile justice programs which ended up casing this:

“For nearly all serious and minor offenses, including homicide, rates among black teenagers nationally were lower in 2011 than when racial statistics were first collected nationally in 1964.

1634958395742.png

Mike Males, “Why the Gigantic, Decades-Long Drop in Black Youth Crime Threatens Major Interests,” The Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, August 15, 2013, Why the Gigantic, Decades-Long Drop in Black Youth Crime Threatens Major Interests — Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

When I look in the mirror, I see a man who knows that trump/pence did not creat record low black unemployment.

Trump exaggerates his role in black job gains​

TRUMP: “The facts speak far louder than words! The Democrats always play the Race Card, when in fact they have done so little for our Nation’s great African American people. Now, lowest unemployment in U.S. history, and only getting better.” — tweet Sunday.

THE FACTS: Trump is seeking credit he doesn’t deserve for black job growth. He’s also wrong to assert that Democrats haven’t done anything to improve the economic situation for African Americans.

It’s true that black unemployment did reach a record low during the Trump administration: 5.9 percent in May 2018. It currently stands at 6 percent.

But many economists view the continued economic growth since the middle of 2009, when Democratic President Barack Obama was in office, as the primary explanation for hiring. More important, there are multiple signs that the racial wealth gap is now worsening and the administration appears to have done little, if anything, to specifically address this challenge.

African Americans also had higher income prior to the Trump administration. A black household earned median income of $40,258 in 2017, the latest data available. That’s below a 2000 peak of $42,348, according to the Census Bureau.

The most dramatic drop in black unemployment came under Obama, when it fell from a recession high of 16.8 percent in March 2010 to 7.8 percent in January 2017.

You're a racist idiot. You really need to shut your mouth.

IM2 Wow, you called me a Retard? Don't your people bang their cousins because they don't know daddy? Don't you think they would have children who are off mentally?

Forum List

Back