What Were We Fighting For?

We weren't fighting for America. Special interests sought that war and the interests of the public were not at the heart of that war. It was a waste of time and we need to gtfo and never return to that area. The Middle East needs to remain there and be left alone.

It's saddening to know that our president thinks so little of our men and women, to end a war prematurely

So, because he didn't want to keep US men and women in a hostile foreign country, he doesn't respect US troops? We've been in Iraq for 10 years; we spent untold amounts of money; lost good men and women; destroyed Iraqi men, women, children, their cities, their way of life. All for what? Where was the smoking gun? Obama did what the American people elected him to do - get the fuck out of there. And he followed the timeline that Bush - the asshole who got us into this mess - laid out. What more do you expect? What have YOU done?

How would you feel if in a game you were taken out while your opponent made up the advantage and beat you anyway? How would you feel if you built a house, only to be made to destroy it after not setting one foot in it? I have a unique perspective on this issue that you do not. I live in a military family, and I understand their sacrifice far better than you liberal blowhards ever will.

Gee, I come from a military family too. Better than that, I WAS IN THE MILITARY YOU FUCKING DINK!

There was never any damn reason for us to go the Iraq, and the best thing we could have done for our troops was bring them the fuck home. Your little comparisons of games and houses can't even begin to compare to people losing their fucking lives.

If you want Iraq to be secure so damn bad, go there your fucking self and stop sending other people to their deaths.

None of that matters. You send a man or woman out to die and for what? Oh, nevermind.

The deaths of some people is not proper justification for the deaths of more people. How many more people were you willing to have killed or maimed, how many families destroyed on the basis of justifying a war that was wrong to begin with? When people are needlessly being killed it makes no sense to send more people to be needlessly killed in an effort to justify the earlier deaths.

None of that matters. You send a man or woman out to die and for what? Oh, nevermind.

The deaths of some people is not proper justification for the deaths of more people. How many more people were you willing to have killed or maimed, how many families destroyed on the basis of justifying a war that was wrong to begin with? When people are needlessly being killed it makes no sense to send more people to be needlessly killed in an effort to justify the earlier deaths.

Well, I've seen what effect it's had on my father firsthand. I think it's done as much destruction to him as the war has done to them. If you were paying attention, we were actively training Iraqis to maintain their own security. We were well on our way to giving their country back to them, no more bloodshed needed to take place, Kevin. But this is what happens when you pull out prematurely. Sigh, all of this hyperbole.

So, because he didn't want to keep US men and women in a hostile foreign country, he doesn't respect US troops? We've been in Iraq for 10 years; we spent untold amounts of money; lost good men and women; destroyed Iraqi men, women, children, their cities, their way of life. All for what? Where was the smoking gun? Obama did what the American people elected him to do - get the fuck out of there. And he followed the timeline that Bush - the asshole who got us into this mess - laid out. What more do you expect? What have YOU done?

How would you feel if in a game you were taken out while your opponent made up the advantage and beat you anyway? How would you feel if you built a house, only to be made to destroy it after not setting one foot in it? I have a unique perspective on this issue that you do not. I live in a military family, and I understand their sacrifice far better than you liberal blowhards ever will.

Gee, I come from a military family too. Better than that, I WAS IN THE MILITARY YOU FUCKING DINK!

There was never any damn reason for us to go the Iraq, and the best thing we could have done for our troops was bring them the fuck home. Your little comparisons of games and houses can't even begin to compare to people losing their fucking lives.

If you want Iraq to be secure so damn bad, go there your fucking self and stop sending other people to their deaths.

Were you actually in Iraq? If you weren't you haven't the slightest clue.

My father was sent there, I've witnessed the toll it's taken on him, and now for him to see all that HE FOUGHT FOR laid to waste? No sir.

I never thought we should have gone in there in the first place. It was not worth 5000 American lives

Do I think we should have wasted more American lives to keep the peace?

Hell no

It reminds me of staying in a bad relationship because so much has been invested. No. Get out there and live your damn life. Salvage what you can, and go from there. Don't throw the good in after the bad.

We'd likely still be in Vietnam, on those terms.

Well, I've seen what effect it's had on my father firsthand. I think it's done as much destruction to him as the war has done to them. If you were paying attention, we were actively training Iraqis to maintain their own security. We were well on our way to giving their country back to them, no more bloodshed needed to take place, Kevin. But this is what happens when you pull out prematurely. Sigh, all of this hyperbole.

After ten years it's hardly premature. They didn't want the government we set up for them badly enough to defend it. They deserve to be run by religious extremists. That whole section of the world is backwards and deserves what they let themselves be oppressed by. I've been there. Done that. Those people can't handle having rights because they couldn't stand up for them.

I couldn't help but remember back in 2004 during the thick of the Iraq War, how our men and women fought hard and paid for every inch of ground they took with their life's blood. Today, 10 years later, in Ramadi and Fallujah, places where the fighting was the fiercest and where the most of our troops died, the terrorist group Al Qaeda, that Obama claimed had been "decimated" and put "on the run" has retaken those places with little resistance. Their flags now fly over those cities once again. In Robert Gates' new book Duty, he recalls how Obama's decisions regarding the war were purely political. He recalls a particular disdain for the military in general which exuded from the President. This all leads me to ask, what were we fighting for? Was Obama pulling out of Iraq purely indeed motivated by politics? Did he care that one day that such a pullout would create a power vacuum there? Did he realize he was relinquishing all that our troops fought for back to the enemy?

What were we fighting for? What on Earth were we doing there, if not to win? It's saddening to know that our president thinks so little of our men and women, to end a war prematurely and give up everything they fought hard and died for, simply to put himself in a better political position to trounce his rivals. Why did he have military advisers if he was simply going to ignore them as he did Mr. Gates? I fail to understand how a man can have simply no commitment to the efforts his men and women in uniform are putting in overseas. I'm a Libertarian, and I don't take too kindly to foreign intervention in the first place. But I was also taught as a boy, "If you start a fight son, you finish it."

What were we fighting for? Nothing it seems, nothing but the political gains of one man. My Father fought in the first Iraq war, and I can tell you the he is none too happy to see what he fought for, risked life and limb for--- gone; taken back by the enemy. What were we really fighting for? You tell me.

W committed the nation to allowing the Iraqies to define the govt they wanted. They have done so. Mission accomplished

The Iraqi's lost those places. Not our armed forces.

Honestly I'm not surprised. Once our army pulled out and left the country to themselves it was only a matter of time before AQ or the Taliban or some other jihadist dirtbags pulled back in.

If Iraq can't hang onto its freedom then fuck em. I don't want any more of our men and women killed because they can't hang onto what they have.

Iraq and Afghanistan (after 2002) show the limitations and near-sightedness of neo-conservative projections of hard power. The political and military gains cannot be consolidated with commitment by the American taxpayer to social change in those countries. We will never be there for the long haul.

So: a wastage of American power, treasure, and man power, plus untold misery for the target nations.

We agree that Iraq and Afghanistan were stupid wastes of american lives and money. But you are being disengenuous when you claim that only republicans supported those fiascos. Both parties authorized and funded that idiocy.

Just as both parties authroized and funded the fiasco in Viet Nam that cost 58,000 american lives and billions of dollars------FOR FRICKEN NOTHING.

We, as americans, need to learn from these stupid mistakes made by leaders of both parties.

Constantly arguing about which party is worse, is pointless.

when you claim that only republicans supported those fiascos You can never post anything I have ever written that the GOP only supported Iraq. However, the neo-cons had the GOP in the palm of their hands, so, yes, the GOP has the greater fault.

I am arguing more about neo-conservatism, pimp, than parties.

It's not hyperbole to say that more people would have died the longer we stayed, and that it never made sense to begin with. Yes, the U.S. was training Iraqi soldiers, and continues to train them to this day. As I pointed out, the U.S. still has troops in Iraq. The simple fact, however, is that the Iraqi government is not capable of maintaining itself on its own, because it is seen as illegitimate. The moment the Hussein regime was compromised by the U.S. this was a guarantee. This is what happens when you destabilize a region. There was never going to be a time when pulling out wasn't going to be "premature" and lead to this, because this was a foregone conclusion as soon as the invasion began.

Better to cut your losses as soon as you can, rather than continuing to try to save face.

I couldn't help but remember back in 2004 during the thick of the Iraq War, how our men and women fought hard and paid for every inch of ground they took with their life's blood. Today, 10 years later, in Ramadi and Fallujah, places where the fighting was the fiercest and where the most of our troops died, the terrorist group Al Qaeda, that Obama claimed had been "decimated" and put "on the run" has retaken those places with little resistance. Their flags now fly over those cities once again. In Robert Gates' new book Duty, he recalls how Obama's decisions regarding the war were purely political. He recalls a particular disdain for the military in general which exuded from the President. This all leads me to ask, what were we fighting for? Was Obama pulling out of Iraq purely indeed motivated by politics? Did he care that one day that such a pullout would create a power vacuum there? Did he realize he was relinquishing all that our troops fought for back to the enemy?

What were we fighting for? What on Earth were we doing there, if not to win? It's saddening to know that our president thinks so little of our men and women, to end a war prematurely and give up everything they fought hard and died for, simply to put himself in a better political position to trounce his rivals. Why did he have military advisers if he was simply going to ignore them as he did Mr. Gates? I fail to understand how a man can have simply no commitment to the efforts his men and women in uniform are putting in overseas. I'm a Libertarian, and I don't take too kindly to foreign intervention in the first place. But I was also taught as a boy, "If you start a fight son, you finish it."

What were we fighting for? Nothing it seems, nothing but the political gains of one man. My Father fought in the first Iraq war, and I can tell you the he is none too happy to see what he fought for, risked life and limb for--- gone; taken back by the enemy. What were we really fighting for? You tell me.

LINO Libertarian in name only. Come on Templar, you know tou are just a Neo-Con calling yourself a libertarian because it's the easiest way to take no responsibility for anything that happens. Real libertarians would despise the Tea Party, which you stated you are a member of. The Tea Party sold out long ago to corporate intrests and the Republican machine.

^^High five this shit here

Tom Friedman, of all people considering his neocon views supported W's misadventure, actually summed it up. The criticism of Obama and our departure purposefully ignores the fact that the entire enterprise was about allowing the Iraqis to determine their own govt. They elected al-amucki, who chose to lead as "a shite militia leader rather than a Mandela." There's no reconcilliation between the sunni and shia following their civil war, that our surge merely derailed by paying off the sunni who didn't want al queda ties.

He pointed to early game decisions that have come back to haunt us, such as disbanding the baath army and judiciary, which led to the militas on both sides being armed and no civil govt.

But mainly the RW historical revisionists choose to ignore the fact that Iraqis are an actor in this. What Friedman chooses to not face is that al-amucki may not have had a choice to try for reconcilliation. That is, he may not have been able to hold onto the shia majority had he seriously brought the sunni into the govt. IF that was true, then Saddam's repression of the will of the people actually prevented the death of hundreds of thousands, and W's entire escapade is revealed as hubris.

Either the Iraqis lacked the ability to elect an mandela or thinking we could force this thing one way or another is simply more hubris.

Last edited:
The elected government of Iraq asked our military forces to leave

We left......anything that happens after we leave is Iraqs problem

I hadn't started posting here until a few months ago but I'll bet what I saw happening at the forum where I was a member also happened here.

The Liberals and the leftists and the Progressives were criticizing W and the Iraq war every day.

All of the things you cite as Obama's negatives were also being committed every day by Bush's Bashers.

I just want to remind everyone of that.

Saddam tried to kill Bush Sr., so Bush Jr. went to war with Iraq.

This is what happens when you elect a stupid president.

Smart presidents use drones.

Yep.

Bush killed and maimed hundreds of thousands and that's okay with some.

I have a kinder view of W, but then I voted for him. I think he actually believed that w/o Saddam, the Iraqis would choose a free market representative democracy. He was an egomanic, dry drunk, naive, spendthrift son of a successful man. But not with an evil heart.

Forum List

Back