What should be the required math courses for a HS diploma?

JoeMoma

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2014
When I was in high school in the early eighties, my high school only required two math units ( out of 18 total units) to graduate. There was a college prep track which included algebra I, geometry, algebra II, advance algebra and trig ( precalculus ), and calculus. There was also a general track which required two units of general math. As such, the college prep math classes were rigorous because the students actually wanted to learn the math. Those that had no interest in learning how to solve an equation would take the units of general math.

Today in the same high school all students are either on a college prep track or an honors track. A minimum of four math units are required for a high school diploma. Because all students are required to take Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II, the range of abilities in a class is very broad. There are students that learn the math As soon as they are presented with a math topic while there are other students who are still not proficient with basic arithmetic such as adding and subtracting positive and negative numbers and working with fractions. The result of this is that the math classes either have to be dummed down for the slower students or the bottom third of the students will end up failing the math classes. Since the graduation rate of the school would be unacceptable if a third of the students couldn't pass math, the classes are dummed down. As such, the students that will go on to careers that will use advance mathematics suffer because the classes are not as rigorous as they could be. Many people, once they get out of high school never solve equations again in their lives. Should all high school students be pushed through the advanced maths like algebra, geometry (with algebra and proofs) even when they are not proficient with basic math?

The real question is what should the required math classes be to get a 4 year degree?
Thar would depend on the degree. My degree is in industrial engineering, so I had to take many math classes and many of my engineering classes were essentially applied math classes. On the other hand, someone majoring in early childhood education may have taken math classes in college no harder than Algebra I in high school.

When I was in high school in the early eighties, my high school only required two math units ( out of 18 total units) to graduate. There was a college prep track which included algebra I, geometry, algebra II, advance algebra and trig ( precalculus ), and calculus. There was also a general track which required two units of general math. As such, the college prep math classes were rigorous because the students actually wanted to learn the math. Those that had no interest in learning how to solve an equation would take the units of general math.

Today in the same high school all students are either on a college prep track or an honors track. A minimum of four math units are required for a high school diploma. Because all students are required to take Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II, the range of abilities in a class is very broad. There are students that learn the math As soon as they are presented with a math topic while there are other students who are still not proficient with basic arithmetic such as adding and subtracting positive and negative numbers and working with fractions. The result of this is that the math classes either have to be dummed down for the slower students or the bottom third of the students will end up failing the math classes. Since the graduation rate of the school would be unacceptable if a third of the students couldn't pass math, the classes are dummed down. As such, the students that will go on to careers that will use advance mathematics suffer because the classes are not as rigorous as they could be. Many people, once they get out of high school never solve equations again in their lives. Should all high school students be pushed through the advanced maths like algebra, geometry (with algebra and proofs) even when they are not proficient with basic math?
Basic arithmetic without the use of a calculator should be the measure.

Beyond that is specialization most will never use.

When I graduated from 8th grade, I knew all the math I would ever need. But that was 1951. Now math is so much more important. I have no aptitude in math....my brother was PhD level. But I made it thru trig. Two of my grandsons have/will have math degrees...their future is assured

Do the math...prepare kids...get them as far as they can go.

When I graduated from 8th grade, I knew all the math I would ever need. But that was 1951. Now math is so much more important. I have no aptitude in math....my brother was PhD level. But I made it thru trig. Two of my grandsons have/will have math degrees...their future is assured

Beyond basic computation I am mathematically illiterate.

I have as much business commenting on math education as I do on having a baby.

My dad dropped out of school at an early age. When I was a kid I remember when he went back to school to learn how to read for he was functionally illiterate. In contrast, he was quite proficient at basic math. He earned a living finishing drywall. Basic math was necessary when it came to calculating the amount of work involved with a dry walk project. I don't think he solved an equation in his life.

My dad dropped out of school at an early age. When I was a kid I remember when he went back to school to learn how to read for he was functionally illiterate. In contrast, he was quite proficient at basic math. He earned a living finishing drywall. Basic math was necessary when it came to calculating the amount of work involved with a dry walk project. I don't think he solved an equation in his life.
I could read at four.

I never could get with math.

Math problems gave me headaches, and the numbers just jumbled around.

It was always a big issue.

I didn't like math, didn't like thinking hard about what I thought was useless crap, and never got past Algebra I.

I got through college with two freshman summer school courses I don't remember taking.

Should kids be required to be proficient with basic math before having to take algebra and beyond? If so, should a student be denied a high school diploma if not proficient in algebra?

Should kids be required to be proficient with basic math before having to take algebra and beyond? If so, should a student be denied a high school diploma if not proficient in algebra?
I think basic computation, no calculators, should come first.

Then, what used to be called "Practical Math", proficiency in how to manage a check book, monthly bill paying, how much paint or carpet a room needs, stuff like that.

Beyond that, no Algebra except for those headed to math oriented careers.

It would depend on the learning level of the students. Everyone doesn't learn on the same curve. There are students that reach their limit level by the time they graduate from the 8th or 9th grade. It would be very difficult to force classes on students with limited abilities to learn some courses of study. Math is just one course that's difficult for many students.

The nuns and brothers shoved math up our ass....as best I recall most of us made it through...kids can handle more than liberals will admit...life is tough...get a move on.

It would depend on the learning level of the students. Everyone doesn't learn on the same curve. There are students that reach their limit level by the time they graduate from the 8th or 9th grade. It would be very difficult to force classes on students with limited abilities to learn some courses of study. Math is just one course that's difficult for many students.
Algebra, geometry, etc. are being forced on those students that have reached their limits. It's part of common core. It was being done before common core, so it is not the falt of common core.

The nuns and brothers shoved math up our ass....as best I recall most of us made it through...kids can handle more than liberals will admit...life is tough...get a move on.
So you are for dumming down the math classes so these kids can pass. And the kids that will actually go on to use the math will suffer due to the much slower pace.

So you are for dumming down the math classes so these kids can pass. And the kids that will actually go on to use the math will suffer due to the much slower pace.
The nuns and brothers didn't dumb down anything...they taught, they encouraged, they motivated, they kicked ass...what America used to be like...until the Libs arrived.

The nuns and brothers didn't dumb down anything...they taught, they encouraged, they motivated, they kicked ass...what America used to be like...until the Libs arrived.
Did everyone have to take algebra, geomety and trig, or was there a basic math track?

Did everyone have to take algebra, geomety and trig, or was there a basic math track?
With the nuns and brothers everything was mandatory...that was then...not sure about now. Everything seems voluntary now....my grandsons go to a university with 50000 students....400 are math majors...as the economy screams for math majors....

I use geometry in estimating materials on a regular basis. It has many applications for many industrial labor jobs too. Challenging subjects are not reason enough to drop it as a requirement. English is a requirement too, but many will not be authors, yet writing a report for work happens often. Make more time for the important subjects by restricting elective classes.

With the nuns and brothers everything was mandatory...that was then...not sure about now. Everything seems voluntary now....my grandsons go to a university with 50000 students....400 are math majors...as the economy screams for math majors....
Perhaps it should be mandatory that all 50000 thousand of those students should be math majors. The professors can motivate and kick ass such that they all can learn advanced calculus.

Forum List

Back