What makes a series worth "Bingeing"?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Assuming you have done it on occasion, what is it that makes it worthwhile (or entertaining) to watch episode after episode of a television programming, ignoring other things regularly programmed. Some of my binged series:

The Wire
Game of Thrones
The Sopranos, and its California counterpart, Ray Donovan
Poldark
Downton Abbey

To me, it is the presence of characters that you find interesting and likable. If you don't like the characters (or if you find some of them insufferable), you will quit watching. The weekly plot-lines are often ridiculous but if you like at least one of the main characters you will continue to watch.

Things that keep you guessing and not being able to write the story yourself as it moves along.

I always liked binging on the 3 stooges. You can see it a hundred times, but watching a fellow poke another in the eyes and conk him on the head is always hilarious stuff.

Moe Larry and Shemp produced the kind of comedy you really don't have to overthink to enjoy.

Assuming you have done it on occasion, what is it that makes it worthwhile (or entertaining) to watch episode after episode of a television programming, ignoring other things regularly programmed. Some of my binged series:

The Wire
Game of Thrones
The Sopranos, and its California counterpart, Ray Donovan
Poldark
Downton Abbey

To me, it is the presence of characters that you find interesting and likable. If you don't like the characters (or if you find some of them insufferable), you will quit watching. The weekly plot-lines are often ridiculous but if you like at least one of the main characters you will continue to watch.

To me, it is having a cliff hanger at the end of each episode
You just can’t wait to find out what happens so you keep watching

Also having one episode merge directly into the next without giving you a chance to walk away

Not only liking certain characters but identifying with them, or imagining yourself as their character. Also watching favorite actors in roles that strike a chord. Kevin Costner is one of my favorites and as an older fellow in a patriarchal position in my family I strongly identify with his character in "Yellowstone", notably his angst over his children and his battles with the establishment.

Not only liking certain characters but identifying with them, or imagining yourself as their character. Also watching favorite actors in roles that strike a chord. Kevin Costner is one of my favorites and as an older fellow in a patriarchal position in my family I strongly identify with his character in "Yellowstone", notably his angst over his children and his battles with the establishment.
You can have characters you like….but unless the story line makes you can’t wait until you find out what happens, you are not going to binge watch to find out

I don't like to binge to much, as in watch more than one episode in a row.
But many times we will watch an episode everyday until we reach the end or catch up to where the series is.
Shows we have watched more than one in a row is
Breaking Bad... well arguably the best TV series in history.
Boardwalk
Billionaires (only season 1).. that show went down hill with each new season, we don't even watch it now.
Walking Dead

Forum List

Back