CDZ What makes a good poster?

Thanks in part to our current president, people assume that dishonesty is acceptable as long as it's for a good cause.

Assuming that your post is not dishonest, what dishonesty on the part of our current President has resulted in serious and measurable negative consequences for our country? Please be specific.
His constant lying has made any negotiations between democrats in congress impossible. He lies day after day about closing the border which encouraged tens of thousands of Central Americans to head north to get across the border before it closes creating his crisis at the border.

Trump’s refusal to admit the truth of widely accepted facts corrodes political discourse and is consistent with the practice of many authoritarian leaders. The assertion of the power to define reality is destructive of democratic governance, in part because many people believe him and are not amenable to contrary evidence.

President's lie for all kinds of reasons. Often it's personal reasons such as Kennedy lying about his Addison's disease or Clinton lying about having sex. Other president's lie to protect a policy that is believed to be in the best interest of the nation such as Reagan lies about the Iran Contra Affair.

Every dictator from Adolph Hitler to Kim Jung-un has created their own reality by creating their own facts. This is exactly what Trump does and that is what makes him such a destructive force. He lies about trival details and important policies. If he wants it to be true, he states it as fact. If he wants Obama's birth certificate to be false, he just says it is. He wants China to be being paying the tariffs, so he says China will pay most of the tariffs. If he want's a million people to have attended his inauguration, he says they did. If he wants the Mueller Investigation to have cost 40 million dollars, he just says it. The democratic process can not survive in an environment is which people can not agree on the facts. As Daniel Patrick Moynihan said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

In other words, you can't come up with a single example of how dishonesty on the part of our current President has resulted in serious and measurable negative consequences for our country.

Thanks in part to our current president, people assume that dishonesty is acceptable as long as it's for a good cause.

Assuming that your post is not dishonest, what dishonesty on the part of our current President has resulted in serious and measurable negative consequences for our country? Please be specific.
His constant lying has made any negotiations between democrats in congress impossible. He lies day after day about closing the border which encouraged tens of thousands of Central Americans to head north to get across the border before it closes creating his crisis at the border.

Trump’s refusal to admit the truth of widely accepted facts corrodes political discourse and is consistent with the practice of many authoritarian leaders. The assertion of the power to define reality is destructive of democratic governance, in part because many people believe him and are not amenable to contrary evidence.

President's lie for all kinds of reasons. Often it's personal reasons such as Kennedy lying about his Addison's disease or Clinton lying about having sex. Other president's lie to protect a policy that is believed to be in the best interest of the nation such as Reagan lies about the Iran Contra Affair.

Every dictator from Adolph Hitler to Kim Jung-un has created their own reality by creating their own facts. This is exactly what Trump does and that is what makes him such a destructive force. He lies about trival details and important policies. If he wants it to be true, he states it as fact. If he wants Obama's birth certificate to be false, he just says it is. He wants China to be being paying the tariffs, so he says China will pay most of the tariffs. If he want's a million people to have attended his inauguration, he says they did. If he wants the Mueller Investigation to have cost 40 million dollars, he just says it. The democratic process can not survive in an environment is which people can not agree on the facts. As Daniel Patrick Moynihan said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

In other words, you can't come up with a single example of how dishonesty on the part of our current President has resulted in serious and measurable negative consequences for our country.
I certainly did. His lies about closing the border have encouraged thousands of Central Americans to leave their homes and head to the border before Trump closes it which is creating the crisis that Trump wanted and needs. There is not a single democrat and few republicans in congress that believe anything Trump says.

USMB is about talking smack

If you are here for serious discussion, you are in the wrong place

I was watching something on tv and there was a bit on that if one wants to effectively talk to others, usually about politics, do it without the emotions. I thought about that for a minute and that really makes sense. If you can discuss any subject (Especially politics and religion) by inserting facts and discussions of observations, do it without anger and name calling.

Can posters here manage to discuss based on facts without being emotional, playing the victim and just basically losing it?

In other words can posters be the adults in the room?
this is what I've been saying on many forums
....many members think they can ''read'' the ''emotion'' of the poster---that's how they screw up and make fools of themselves
....many posters get very upset [ and HATE ] other posters---for things as simple as a poster stating facts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[ watch out, I just used a lot of exclamation points ]
this is a funny Seinfeld deal on ''reading'' ''exclamation point's'

USMB is about talking smack

If you are here for serious discussion, you are in the wrong place
This site is nothing but frivolous entertainment to me, since video games are for kids.
Anyone thinking they are changing hearts and minds here are under delusions of grandeur regregarding their opinions.

What makes a good poster?
A sense of humor and an ability to let shit go.

His lies about closing the border

What lies about closing the border? Please be SPECIFIC.
“Let me just give you a little secret,” Trump said at the White House. “Security is more important to me than trade. So we’re going to have a slower border or a closed border.”
"Mexico's tough. They can stop them, but they chose not to. Now they're going to stop them. And if they don't stop them, we're closing the border. They'll close it. And we'll keep it closed for a long time. I'm not playing games."

Now he says he's going to make it harder fom migrants to get asylum.

Trump has been threatening to close the border for months, make it harder to get asylum, and of course stop illegal immigration with his wall but he hasn't done any of those things. The only thing he's doings is encouraging migrants to come to the US while they can still get in. If he really wanted to solve his immigration crisis, he would keep his mouth shut and let his actions speech for themselves.

Trump has been threatening to close the border for months, make it harder to get asylum, and of course stop illegal immigration with his wall but he hasn't done any of those things. The only thing he's doings is encouraging migrants to come to the US while they can still get in. If he really wanted to solve his immigration crisis, he would keep his mouth shut and let his actions speech for themselves.

Threatening to close the border, etc. is not a "lie," and your your criticism of his (in)actions is self-contradictory. Want to try again?

Can posters here manage to discuss based on facts without being emotional, playing the victim and just basically losing it?

I'm willing to find that out myself. I've spend my first few hundred posts arguing and insulting other users in zone 2. However, recently, I've noted that I'm using a lot more curse words in real life than normal, which is not good. I'm having fun acting a fool without repercussions, but if it really is affecting my behavior in real life then it would be best to nip that in the bud before I get any slip ups at work or against friends and loved ones.

So, I'd like to start posing here to be more civil.

Threatening to close the border, etc. is not a "lie," and your your criticism of his (in)actions is self-contradictory. Want to try again?
I agree with Flopper. Don't warn them...just do it. He is encouraging more peopke to come right away so they can still get in. Like telling the enemy of war plans.

Just study that poster TNHarley.
He is who all if us posters should look up to. He is digital enlightenment.

I agree with Flopper. Don't warn them...just do it. He is encouraging more peopke to come right away so they can still get in. Like telling the enemy of war plans.

Sometimes just the threat to do something works as well as the actual deed. But the other guy or country has to believe you will actually do it if you don't get what you want. With Trump, he has shown the balls to do things in the past, but also tried to give negotiations a chance to work. Whether threats are the wisest course of action or not is another story.

PS: we are kinda off-topic here, aren't we?

Last edited:
For me, I don't care what anybody's position is as long as they get to it honestly. That's all I need. But rarely get.

Most people here are as exceptionally partisan as you.

Honesty does not even enter the picture when all a person has done is to choose a side and then soldier for theirs.

I'm willing to find that out myself. I've spend my first few hundred posts arguing and insulting other users in zone 2. However, recently, I've noted that I'm using a lot more curse words in real life than normal, which is not good. I'm having fun acting a fool without repercussions, but if it really is affecting my behavior in real life then it would be best to nip that in the bud before I get any slip ups at work or against friends and loved ones.

So, I'd like to start posing here to be more civil.
Same thing happened to me.

Folks don't come to this place to have intellectual discussions. They mostly come to have their biases confirmed and prattle on about their political enemies.

all while seeing themselves as part of a group rather than as an individual. It's the partisanship that prevents any sort of intellectual discussion.

I was watching something on tv and there was a bit on that if one wants to effectively talk to others, usually about politics, do it without the emotions. I thought about that for a minute and that really makes sense. If you can discuss any subject (Especially politics and religion) by inserting facts and discussions of observations, do it without anger and name calling.

There was a poster here last fall who did that--challenged himself to come here and discuss things calmly and he was really smart and explained things really well--the facts, not the spin.
His name was well named.

I can do it, but some days I don't feel like it and some days it doesn't seem fair to me that you can't win against the trolls and I fight back.

Who?

That was his name "well named"

Yeah, there are some around here like that. I try to be, but when you care enough about a particular subject or issue, it can get tough to stay unemotional in the sea of emotions that this place is most of the time. It's a worthy goal though, so I keep trying.
You do pretty well at that. I never flinch when I see your avi roll up on the screen. Always read your stuff. Well done.

For me, I don't care what anybody's position is as long as they get to it honestly. That's all I need. But rarely get.

Most people here are as exceptionally partisan as you.

Honesty does not even enter the picture when all a person has done is to choose a side and then soldier for theirs.

huge.0.4853.JPG

Forum List

Back