CDZ What is the difference between a Machine Gun and an AR-15?

Thank you kind gentlemen! You have helped a great deal! Now I am going to you tube and search for tutorials, so I can put everything I was told together, in a picture/video...

Now back to Marathon Mike's question...

Is the intent of the law banning Machine Guns, the same that could be applied to AR15's or AK47's etc?

No, because the NFA of 1934 did not ban machine guns. It applied a tax to the sale. $200 at the time was a massive expense.

It also required registration, a lengthy back ground check, and (correct me if I'm wrong) finger printing and photographs for ID.
Yes, I read it was heavily regulated... and also read, that not a single murder with any machine gun, after the regulation.... then again, who knows how many actual murders there were with machine guns prior to that new law.... I doubt that there were many... but honestly do not know?

This video is very instructive of how a fully automatic AK 47 functions.

Holy CRAP! That's fast! And what causes that metal casing like shell thingy to get thrown out of the gun after the shot, and before the reload action?

It depends on the type of weapon, but on an AK, there is an "extractor". It's basically sort of a metal "thumb" that holds the casing against the face of the bolt, after firing and the bolt with the casing is forced back, there is an "ejector" that may not be illustrated. As the mechanism is forced back the bolt follows a groove that contains the ejector which basically knocks the spent case off of the bolt face and out of the control of the "thumb" or "extractor". I'm using the term "thumb" in order to simplify the concept of it's function. It's not a common term in relation to a weapon's extractor, but I figured it would be elementary enough to get the point across.

Thank you kind gentlemen! You have helped a great deal! Now I am going to you tube and search for tutorials, so I can put everything I was told together, in a picture/video...

Now back to Marathon Mike's question...

Is the intent of the law banning Machine Guns, the same that could be applied to AR15's or AK47's etc?

I don't know about intent, but the law is very specific.

National Firearms Act of 1934
Definition of Machinegun
"This includes any firearm which can fire repeatedly, without manual reloading, "by a single function of the trigger."[10] Both continuous fully automatic fire and "burst fire" (e.g., firearms with a 3-round burst feature) are considered machine gun features. The weapon's receiver is by itself considered to be a regulated firearm."

This video is very instructive of how a fully automatic AK 47 functions.

Holy CRAP! That's fast! And what causes that metal casing like shell thingy to get thrown out of the gun after the shot, and before the reload action?

It depends on the type of weapon, but on an AK, there is an "extractor". It's basically sort of a metal "thumb" that holds the casing against the face of the bolt, after firing and the bolt with the casing is forced back, there is an "ejector" that may not be illustrated. As the mechanism is forced back the bolt follows a groove that contains the ejector which basically knocks the spent case off of the bolt face and out of the control of the "thumb" or "extractor". I'm using the term "thumb" in order to simplify the concept of it's function. It's not a common term in relation to a weapon's extractor, but I figured it would be elementary enough to get the point across.

Dude she does not give a shit.

Yes, I read it was heavily regulated... and also read, that not a single murder with any machine gun, after the regulation.... then again, who knows how many actual murders there were with machine guns prior to that new law.... I doubt that there were many... but honestly do not know?

I know of not one murder committed with a registered NFA Machine Gun, but I would guess there have been some.

There have been MILLIONS of murders with machine guns in the hands of marxist government agents however.

Just food for thought.

That said there definitely have been killings and crimes committed with illegal machine guns.

Reference
the 1992 Hollywood Bank Robbery.

Last edited:
So for each and every shot, they have to pull the trigger? What makes it semi-automatic then?

It's not that hard, once you cleanse your brain of the lies and confusion that you have been fed by the mainstream media.

With regard to firearms…
  • “Automatic” or “Fully-Automatic” means that as long as you hold the trigger, and as long as there is a supply of ammunition being fed into the gun, the gun will keep firing repeatedly. By definition, a machine gun is fully-automatic.
  • “Semi-Automatic” — When you pull the trigger, the gun fires one shot, then uses some of the energy from that shot to eject the spent ground, chamber a new round, and set it up for the next shot. This is similar to how most fully-automatic guns work, with the difference being that it does not actually fire that next shot until you release the trigger, and pull it again. You get only one shot for each pull of the trigger.

Some handguns are described as “Automatic”, but are, in fact, semi-automatic.

True assault rifles are capable of operating in at least two different modes—semi-automatic and either fully-automatic or burst-fire.

The term “assault weapon” is a fraud, concocted to confuse the public into thinking that weapons so described are comparable to fully-automatic weapons. The fraudulent anti-Second-Amendment Violence Policy Center even has a page on its web site admitting to the deception.

Assault weapons—just like armor-piercing bullets, machine guns, and plastic firearms—are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons.

In addition to the automatic modes described above, there are a few other categories.…

• Repeater — Like the automatic and semi-automatics, a repeater has a magazine that holds multiple rounds. But a separate action has to be carried out between shots, to eject the spent round and chamber another one, to set up for the next shot. Think of a pump-action shotgun, for example,or a lever-action rifle.
  • Single-shot — There is no magazine. You can only load one round into the gun at a time. Once you fire that round, you need to manually remove the spent shell, and load a new round into it before you can fire again. The most recognizable, albeit imperfect, example that I can think of is a double-barrelled shotgun, which can be thought of as two single-shot shotguns in one unit. My wife has a single-shot shotgun, which would be a better example,if you can properly imagine it—try to visualize half of a double-barrel shotgun, and if you visualize that correctly, you'll know what I am talking about.

I think revolvers are considered to be outside of the above categories. A single-action revolver, you have to manually cock the hammer between shots, that action also turning the cylinder to put the next round into position. With a double-action revolver, pulling the trigger causes the hammer to be set back, and the cylinder to be turned, so that no other action is required on the part of the operator. Functionally, a double-action revolver is like a semi-automatic gun, though they are not considered to be semi-automatic. I'm not certain why they are not considered semi-automatic, but I suspect that understood definitions of automatic and semi-automatic assume that the energy to operate the action comes from the shot being fired, rather than from the operator's finger on the trigger.
....per my many other posts--semi auto can be just as deadly--if not more--than fully automatic = the semi auto is worse

The semi-auto can be more dangerous because it is far easier to shoot accurately. Nothing about the rifle is inherently more dangerous.

This video is how fast an M4A1 empties a standard capacity 30 round magazine.

That was me, squeezing the trigger one time and holding it until the weapon was empty.

Holy SMOKES! Is an M4A1 a machine gun or a semi-automatic?????????

30 shots in less than 10 seconds!!!! :eek:

So for each and every shot, they have to pull the trigger? What makes it semi-automatic then?

It's not that hard, once you cleanse your brain of the lies and confusion that you have been fed by the mainstream media.

With regard to firearms…
  • “Automatic” or “Fully-Automatic” means that as long as you hold the trigger, and as long as there is a supply of ammunition being fed into the gun, the gun will keep firing repeatedly. By definition, a machine gun is fully-automatic.
  • “Semi-Automatic” — When you pull the trigger, the gun fires one shot, then uses some of the energy from that shot to eject the spent ground, chamber a new round, and set it up for the next shot. This is similar to how most fully-automatic guns work, with the difference being that it does not actually fire that next shot until you release the trigger, and pull it again. You get only one shot for each pull of the trigger.

True assault rifles are capable of operating in at least two different modes—semi-automatic and either fully-automatic or burst-fire.

The term “assault weapon” is a fraud, concocted to confuse the public into thinking that weapons so described are comparable to fully-automatic weapons. The fraudulent anti-Second-Amendment Violence Policy Center even has a page on its web site admitting to the deception.

Assault weapons—just like armor-piercing bullets, machine guns, and plastic firearms—are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons.

In addition to the automatic modes described above, there are a few other categories.…

• Repeater — Like the automatic and semi-automatics, a repeater has a magazine that holds multiple rounds. But a separate action has to be carried out between shots, to eject the spent round and chamber another one, to set up for the next shot. Think of a pump-action shotgun, for example,or a lever-action rifle.
  • Single-shot — There is no magazine. You can only load one round into the gun at a time. Once you fire that round, you need to manually remove the spent shell, and load a new round into it before you can fire again. The most recognizable, albeit imperfect, example that I can think of is a double-barrelled shotgun, which can be thought of as two single-shot shotguns in one unit. My wife has a single-shot shotgun, which would be a better example,if you can properly imagine it—try to visualize half of a double-barrel shotgun, and if you visualize that correctly, you'll know what I am talking about.

I think revolvers are considered to be outside of the above categories. A single-action revolver, you have to manually cock the hammer between shots, that action also turning the cylinder to put the next round into position. With a double-action revolver, pulling the trigger causes the hammer to be set back, and the cylinder to be turned, so that no other action is required on the part of the operator. Functionally, a double-action revolver is like a semi-automatic gun, though they are not considered to be semi-automatic. I'm not certain why they are not considered semi-automatic, but I suspect that understood definitions of automatic and semi-automatic assume that the energy to operate the action comes from the shot being fired, rather than from the operator's finger on the trigger.
....per my many other posts--semi auto can be just as deadly--if not more--than fully automatic = the semi auto is worse

The semi-auto can be more dangerous because it is far easier to shoot accurately. Nothing about the rifle is inherently more dangerous.
.....semi--auto can be more deadly than full auto--plain and simple--there is no arguing it
....if you are in combat range/distance, a lot of rounds will MISS with full auto--plain and simple...with semi-auto, a lot more will be on target

With regard to firearms…

.....semi--auto can be more deadly than full auto--plain and simple--there is no arguing it
....if you are in combat range/distance, a lot of rounds will MISS with full auto--plain and simple...with semi-auto, a lot more will be on target

I believe that is what I said. That is a function of the controllability of the gun.

That was me, squeezing the trigger one time and holding it until the weapon was empty.

It is a machine gun or full auto.

Its a good way to burn through a lot of ammo in a very short time.

OK I get it, you need a bump stock to get the multiple shots per second out of an AR-15. But even an average shooter could fire at a rate of 2 rounds per second. So without a bump stock or other mod, the AR-15 is not a machine gun per the 1934 definition. But it also isn't much of a stretch to say that the AR-15 meets the "intent" of a machine gun which is to throw lots of lead in the air in a short period of time, yes?
No. A machine gun throws several times more lead in the air.

With regard to firearms…

I believe that is what I said. That is a function of the controllability of the gun.
if it can be more deadly than it is more dangerous
!!!!!?????!!!!!

I still don't get it? :(
No, you get it. There is NOTHING semi-auto about a semi-auto. They are no different than a revolver. You squeeze the trigger once and it shoots once. They retain the deceptive moniker "semi-auto" because they were originally automatic but were modified into single fire only for street use.
And what the heck is a "magazine"?
Anything other than a bolt action that holds more than one round of ammo at a time for convenience usually goes into a magazine for loading.
And what is the power of the bullets out of an AR15 vs just a rifle?
An AR15 IS a rifle. A small one. Basically shoots a variant of a .22 caliber almost.
Cuz I read an article once by a doctor who works the ER and gunshot wounds and the doc said that these semi automatic Rifles tear the victim apart, and there are slim to no chance of survival if they are hit in an organ by them but if just a regular gun,
Bullshit. Damage depends on the caliber of ammo and the type. AR15 shoots .223. AK47 shoots a bit bigger round. Any handgun shooting .45 caliber is far far more powerful, especially if it is hollow point ACP or even a Black Talon (they fly apart in the body doing maximum destruction.

That is a fully automatic M4A1. 30 rounds in about 3 seconds actually.

Civilians CAN NOT own one within any regulation I'm aware of, and I do not like that.

The M4A1 can be switched to operate semi-auto.

An AR-15 CAN NOT be switched to fire more than Semi Auto.

Again, Semi-Auto means you squeeze the trigger once, and it fires ONE ROUND. You can continue to hold the trigger down for eternity, and it will not fire again until you release the trigger and it resets the disconnect.

The fastest I can fire a round, recover from the recoil and get the weapon back on target is about ONE ROUND PER SECOND with any sort of accuracy. If I really want accurate fire, it usually requires a few seconds between shots. It's part of shooting fundamentals and everything from breathing, trigger squeeze, focusing on the front sight consistently brings that rate of fire down incredibly if you expect to win in a gun fight.

It is a machine gun or full auto.

Its a good way to burn through a lot of ammo in a very short time.

Full Auto is only a term. The Glock 18 is a fully automatic handgun.

A Machine Gun is generally a full auto only weapon, it's not usually select fire, but weapons such as the M2 50 cal do have the option of firing on a semi-auto selection.

Machine guns such as the M249 and M240 can only be switched from "Safe" to "fuck yeah".

They are belt fed weapons rather than magazine fed (The M249 can be fed with M16 magazines, but you're not happy when you're stuck doing it because they do not fire reliably)

There is a law called the National Firearms Act that was implemented in 1934 that "regulates" (read that mega-taxed) machine guns. It was brought into law basically as a response to the St. Valentine's Day Massacre where 7 guys were executed by 4 guys with machine guns. So not being a gun guy, I would like to know what the difference is between the original definition of a machine gun which means any weapon that can be fired more than once with a single trigger pull, at least the way I understand it. This to me begs the question why an AR-15 or equivalent isn't a machine gun and why isn't it heavily regulated the way machine guns are?

I'm not at all a gun control advocate, but if we already have a law that's been on the books for 90 years that already taxes the crap out of machine guns, wouldn't that same tax and regulation extend to modern semi-automatic weapons?

No....

There is a law called the National Firearms Act that was implemented in 1934 that "regulates" (read that mega-taxed) machine guns. It was brought into law basically as a response to the St. Valentine's Day Massacre where 7 guys were executed by 4 guys with machine guns. So not being a gun guy, I would like to know what the difference is between the original definition of a machine gun which means any weapon that can be fired more than once with a single trigger pull, at least the way I understand it. This to me begs the question why an AR-15 or equivalent isn't a machine gun and why isn't it heavily regulated the way machine guns are?

I'm not at all a gun control advocate, but if we already have a law that's been on the books for 90 years that already taxes the crap out of machine guns, wouldn't that same tax and regulation extend to modern semi-automatic weapons?
AR-15s are single pull single shot semi-auto assault riffles... unless of course you modify with something like a bump stock. Machine guns are fully automatic
I still don't get it? :(

Can you fire a lot of shots in one round? Holy crap... and come to think of it, what the heck is a "round"? How does that work? And what the heck is a "magazine"? :( I know less than a kindergartner, so please be gentle with this dummy!

And what is the power of the bullets out of an AR15 vs just a rifle? Cuz I read an article once by a doctor who works the ER and gunshot wounds and the doc said that these semi automatic Rifles tear the victim apart, and there are slim to no chance of survival if they are hit in an organ by them but if just a regular gun, the Docs have a much better chance of saving the victim even with a direct hit to an organ....???

And what is the power of the bullets out of an AR15 vs just a rifle?

The AR-15 is a civilian rifle...with a small bullet compared to other rifles. That Doctor is lying. Any rifle or shotgun hit is going to do lots of damage.....

The AR-15 is a small bullet compared to a 30.06.....

The AR-15 is not a weapon of war or an "Assault Rifle." It is a civilian and police rifle....

Forum List

Back