What is "Middle Class"?

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
In a different thread someone was told they were not middle class because they had 4 income streams.

Nobody in that thread seemed to be able to define it, so I thought I would ask in this part of the forum.

How would you, personally, define what makes one "middle class"

Pretty simple, where do you fall as far as income/assets against the median income in your AO?

The definition is area dependent.....I'm solid "middle class" in my AO.....If I lived 60 miles east I'd be lower middle class as the median income doubles in NOtVA.

The old rule of thumb was 25% above the median income for your AO puts you "middle class".....no idea if that has changed or not.

Middle Class folks live in and raise their children in a 3500 square foot home on a quarter acre in suburbia. They have a couple of SUV's, a couple of firearms to protect their mini-estate and toil to keep a neat lawn, pay their offsprings' orthodontic and tuition bills and are very concerned about the problems of the inner cities coming out to destroy their peaceful and bucolic lives.

Pretty simple, where do you fall as far as income/assets against the median income in your AO?

The definition is area dependent.....I'm solid "middle class" in my AO.....If I lived 60 miles east I'd be lower middle class as the median income doubles in NOtVA.

The old rule of thumb was 25% above the median income for your AO puts you "middle class".....no idea if that has changed or not.

That seems a good rule. How far above the median income would one need to be to be above middle class?

middle class

1658925702893.png

upper class

1658925859478.png

no class

1658925943336.png

It seems to be a pretty amorphous phrase. I've seen various income levels, not to mention things like spending and type of home/vehicle ownership, involved in the definition.

Its not just about the money. After all, to quote B. Hussein O , "Suburbia bores me" and his spiritual mentor Jeremiah Wright constantly whined about the middle class.

I'm solid middle class but I can pinch a nickel so hard that the NDN ends up riding the buffalo. :D

In a different thread someone was told they were not middle class because they had 4 income streams.

Nobody in that thread seemed to be able to define it, so I thought I would ask in this part of the forum.

Those who work for a living

Then you have everyone else, like the abject poor and uber rich idiots like Diaper Joe.

So you have to be above the middle to be in the middle (class)?

It seems to be a pretty amorphous phrase. I've seen various income levels, not to mention things like spending and type of home/vehicle ownership, involved in the definition.

Thanks. I do agree that there is much of that mixed into the phrase

"What is considered middle class?

So who is in the middle class? Broadly, Pew Research Center defines middle-class households as making two-thirds to double America's median income. That adds up to an income range of about $30,000 to $90,000 for single Americans in 2020 dollars.May 1, 2022"

Google is my evil friend. See above.

I would not apply a number

I would say middle class is being able to support yourself, a family, have healthcare and eventually being able to retire without Government support

Forum List

Back