What if cops had to go by the same laws regarding self defense as everyone else?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
What if we applied the same laws that you are I use for self defense to police officers or government officials? It is just a question that we may need to ponder for several reasons. The first is that it might reduce accidental shootings because, as is the case in most states, the police go by different rules. This may make some officers feel that they are above the law and can do things that non police officers can't. A weapon for an officer has always been for one purpose which was self protection. I don't think it was a part of police officer apprehension procedures so there is no reason to have special rules for the police with regards to the use of a weapon so if a dangerous criminal attacked a police officer he could as much force as anyone else is allowed under self defense laws.

What if we applied the same laws that you are I use for self defense to police officers or government officials? It is just a question that we may need to ponder for several reasons. The first is that it might reduce accidental shootings because, as is the case in most states, the police go by different rules. This may make some officers feel that they are above the law and can do things that non police officers can't. A weapon for an officer has always been for one purpose which was self protection. I don't think it was a part of police officer apprehension procedures so there is no reason to have special rules for the police with regards to the use of a weapon so if a dangerous criminal attacked a police officer he could as much force as anyone else is allowed under self defense laws.

I've got news for you: the police do have to follow the same laws on shooting someone that the rest of us are required to obey.

So long as you include the clause to protect the lives of others.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a police officer, especially today. Laws have gotten so restrictive they no longer have much leeway, their hands are pretty much tied. Someone can actually be a treat to others, and cops can't really arrest unless the person making the complaint is in danger of losing their life. Isn't that kind of counter productive? Let the crazy person kill you first, and then a cop can take them to jail. I'd rather live and have the nut case be locked up for threatening me. Citizens no longer have protection, not because cops don't want to, because of laws enacted. Shit!

I've got news for you: the police do have to follow the same laws on shooting someone that the rest of us are required to obey.
Exactly, this poster is an idiot.

If that were the case, a lot of cops would be in prison today. Face it, cops get the benefit of the doubt even when the evidence is quite clear that they broke the law. Did you see the video of the cop in Texas executing the white guy who had his hands in the air? What are the odds that officer will face a jury?

If that were the case, a lot of cops would be in prison today. Face it, cops get the benefit of the doubt even when the evidence is quite clear that they broke the law. Did you see the video of the cop in Texas executing the white guy who had his hands in the air? What are the odds that officer will face a jury?
Their job is to go in and take care of some asshole. Of course they get the benefit of the doubt. You wouldn't even have the balls to run in there. Splat on the fucking ground and don't make any stupid moves. It's pretty easy not to get shot by the cops.

The fact that cops sometimes shoot people doesn't mean they don't have to follow the same laws as the rest of us. They can only shoot someone if they believe their life is in danger. The difference is that cops often find themselves in such situations because of their job. The rest of us don't.

The fact that cops sometimes shoot people doesn't mean they don't have to follow the same laws as the rest of us. They can only shoot someone if they believe their life is in danger. The difference is that cops often find themselves in such situations because of their job. The rest of us don't.

Horrifying Video of Wal-Mart Shooting Shows Cop Executing Terrified Kid

The officers who killed the kid holding the BB gun in Walmart were never even charged. The cops who killed the white guy with his hands up in the air probably will never be charged either. I'm sure the cops who shot the white guy will claim he was charging at them and they feared for their life. Doesn't that sound familiar.

Their job is to go in and take care of some asshole. Of course they get the benefit of the doubt. You wouldn't even have the balls to run in there. Splat on the fucking ground and don't make any stupid moves. It's pretty easy not to get shot by the cops.

This kid wasn't even given a chance to put his hands up. He was holding a toy BB gun that Walmart had for sale. He was going to buy it. The cops executed him and were never charged. Of course all you have to do is follow the cops orders, unless they are Hell bent on killing you to begin with.

Many states do have laws allowing a person to use lethal force to protect lives of others.

Apparently I hit an authoritarian streak. I'm aware that cops have to use lethal force to protect their lives but if someone ask one fuckin question whether or not every single cop shooting is legal then everyone jumps on me. You guys are aware that there are human beings who like power. It's the reason why people want to go into management, police work, or even president of the United States. They want to put themselves above others because they just like it and if someone wants to question what is up with this crap then they get pissed off at the messenger.

Apparently I hit an authoritarian streak. I'm aware that cops have to use lethal force to protect their lives but if someone ask one fuckin question whether or not every single cop shooting is legal then everyone jumps on me. You guys are aware that there are human beings who like power. It's the reason why people want to go into management, police work, or even president of the United States. They want to put themselves above others because they just like it and if someone wants to question what is up with this crap then they get pissed off at the messenger.

Yah

This kid wasn't even given a chance to put his hands up. He was holding a toy BB gun that Walmart had for sale. He was going to buy it. The cops executed him and were never charged. Of course all you have to do is follow the cops orders, unless they are Hell bent on killing you to begin with.

I think the word execution is a little strong.

In that particular case, I think it is quite accurate. The kid is standing there talking on his phone. Next thing he is lying on the ground after being shot multiple times.

In that particular case, I think it is quite accurate. The kid is standing there talking on his phone. Next thing he is lying on the ground after being shot multiple times.

I actually think most shootings are errors or things done in the heat of the moment.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a police officer, especially today. Laws have gotten so restrictive they no longer have much leeway, their hands are pretty much tied.

Yeah, their hands are so tied they're killing unarmed people left and right and getting away with it

they do

Garbagemen have a higher risk of dying on the job than a police officer does, but I don't see them executing unarmed people

Many states do have laws allowing a person to use lethal force to protect lives of others.

Name 2.

Forum List

Back