What has shocked you most about a semi post pandemic world

2. What shocks me is who is wearing masks still. It isn't middle age people and rarely older people but kids. On my short trip to the office, I will pass two schools within the first quarter mile: Arts Academy High School and a college prep school. It isn't the students of the college prep school that are still wearing masks but the arts kids.
I teach at a middle school. Many kids that age are sensitive about their looks, which is why they still wear masks. It's a little sad, really.

I'm sure you've had the experience of seeing someone who you met at the height of the mask foolishness, and when they finally unveil, they don't look like what you thought they would. Rarely to they look better, since we tend to fill in missing visual information with a pleasing image.

Kids who obsess over their looks, as kids that age often do, will pick up on that and think that they will look bad when they unmask. Especially if their faces have gone through changes with puberty. We can all remember a kid on a TV show that grew up and wasn't nearly as cute. We notice, because we don't see the changes day to day. At the beginning of a new season, the kid has aged about six months, and will look different.

That's the least of it. We will deal with the deficits in kids who missed school - especially the early years - for more than a decade until they drop out or graduate.

The lockdowns didn't bother me at all. We were perfectly fine in our house, backyard, and land. Some people just couldn't handle it for whatever reason. I'm also surprised workers got smarter, chose to work from home(huge plus), and said no to lower paying jobs.

I have been saying this for 2 years now.
Virtue Signaling is the new religion. The new way to measure your character. Whether you are a good person not, today, is more about what rubber bracelet you wear than how you treat others.
So YOU have been a prophet wailing in the wilderness for TWO YEARS?

SMDH

I was reading a book John McWhorter* and he described it pretty well. As people stopped following religion, they created their own to fill the gap. Strange thing is, they keep changing what church they actually attend. It could be covid church today or the global warming church tomorrow. Maybe I just group them all in the Woke Church

*First started with his linguistics books as a weird hobby that I have. I can't speak more than one language but am fascinated about languages grow and develop. He describes himself as a cranky democrat but is feed up with all of the woke crap. His book Woke Racism is pretty good.
Fed up

And racist people hate the word “woke”

Meh

At this late hour what still makes America great is kept alive like a terrified little flame on a burnt down candlestick by a precious few Americans here and there who still believe in who we were and where we came from. At this point the slightest midnight breeze will extinguish that too.

A well supplied and secured defensive posture is as much to blame ...
Because the world will move on and overwhelm those who are not engaged.

Fed up

And racist people hate the word “woke”

Meh
I hate stupidity, authoritarianism and lock-step conformity, myself.

Uneducated children such as yourself promote your virtue by telling others to "celebrate diversity" while allowing absolutely none when it comes to any view that does not conform to your orthodoxy.

I AM A LIBERAL

YOU ARE AN EEJIT
Actually, you are just stupid.

Liberalism is a political philosophy, not an identity.

You obviously do not comprehend what it entails as it is most definitely NOT an authoritarian screed that minimzes liberty.

1. I didn't quite understand how different blue vs red states were. When my daughter came from WA to AR to visit me back in February, she was shocked that masks weren't being widely warn here. When I traveled via car [my wife talked me into vacation by saying that we could take the new MX-5 for a 2,000 mile road trip] from AR to FL last late summer, masks were rarely found as I traveled through AR, MS, GA, FL. Back in the fall of 2020, the same thing when we took a 4,000 mile road trip. Masks were only worn in blue states
2. What shocks me is who is wearing masks still. It isn't middle age people and rarely older people but kids. On my short trip to the office, I will pass two schools within the first quarter mile: Arts Academy High School and a college prep school. It isn't the students of the college prep school that are still wearing masks but the arts kids.
3. Fashion changed. The office that I work at, we all wear jeans including the CEO of a 2,000 employee company. But I generally will wear a nicely pressed dress shirt. Those have pretty much disappeared in the shops.
4. My department [IT] has lost nearly 60% of our staff over the past 12 months. The vast majority of those who left [we normally get together once a month or so] work from home. Being forced to work from home those first few months opened up the floodgates to people working at home but for a company that is across the country. One of the reasons that we get together is because they have discovered that they miss human interaction.
5. Movies are just now beginning to return and it has only been in the past 4 months where theaters have been sold out. I honestly thought that would happen sooner

Well.....Nazis wore armbands so you'd know where they stood.....

"Are fully vaccinated liberals afraid to remove their masks because they’ll look like Republicans?"

Are fully vaccinated liberals afraid to remove their masks because they'll look like Republicans?

The liberal mask religion continues as left leaning people are afraid to remove the mask in case they might be mistaken for a Republican.

www.bizpacreview.com

But back to his linguistics, he's of the camp that does not believe that the structure of the language determines the thought patterns of its speakers.
There is another one of my books, Through the Language Glass by Guy Deutsher that will argue the opposite. Really interesting - about half of the book describes the development of color within different cultures and thought patterns. He also describes one tribe that will associate direction with just about everything. They don't have a concept of right and left but north, south, west, east.

There is another one of my books, Through the Language Glass by Guy Deutsher that will argue the opposite. Really interesting - about half of the book describes the development of color within different cultures and thought patterns. He also describes one tribe that will associate direction with just about everything. They don't have a concept of right and left but north, south, west, east.
Huh. This is the second time in a week or so that I've heard or read BOTH theories, but not as quoted from that guy. Maybe I'll get that Deutscher book, thanx. One of the sources was saying many peoples can see (or verbally differentiate) red, but blue is more rare. That struck me as strange, being from a culture that has many, many well-known color names (avocado, mauve, crimson) and thinks in terms of whole color palettes, such as the Disney range and the European browns/greens palette, and the Cyberpunk2077 game's strong yellow bias.

Oh, I remember, I was reading a book about the dye indigo, that's where the colors came up. And my husband knows about that tribe with the compass directions as their default and tells me about it sometimes.

Last edited:
I am shocked by the number of people who still cling to cling to Covid slogans despite admitting they are baseless. For example, I overheard two people "in the medical profession" complaining about people who refused to wear masks. I asked them about reports that the masks didn't work for Covid and they agreed! But these obvious contradiction went right over their heads.

Forum List

Back