What Happens When Americans Find Out At End Of The Day They Are Still Going To Catch COVID-19?

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
Government-Imposed / Enforced Shelter-In-Place

Government-Imposed Economic Shutdown (Closure of almost all businesses)

Government-Imposed Unemployment (millions losing their jobs due to closure of businesses)

Government-Facilitated Stock Market Plunge (Above decisions and more causing fear in Market)

Imposed Social Distancing as justification to prevent the spread of COVID-19.....

ALL of this.....AND YOU'RE GOING TO WIND UP GETTING COVID-19 ANYWAY. IS / WAS IT WORTH IT?

Questioning the Clampdown
Will people lose faith when they find out they are expected to get the virus anyway?

Opinion | Questioning the Clampdown

'Experts now agree the virus’s spread can be slowed but not contained. It will take its place among mostly seasonal respiratory infections. After a time, recurrent outbreaks will be moderated by a large number of potential carriers who have immunity from their last infection.

And then we can ask some questions. The cost to Americans of the economic shutdown is vast. What are they getting for their money? Essentially less excess demand for respiratory ventilators and other emergency care than can currently be supplied.

This demand will come largely from the elderly and chronically ill, who would be competing for these resources with the usual large number of old and ill people already suffering from acute respiratory distress as a result of routine flu and cold infections. A silver lining will be fewer cold and flu victims overall thanks to social distancing to fight Covid-19.

Some number of respiratory deaths will be avoided (really delayed since we all die) but we’ll be spending a lot more than we’ve ever been willing to spend before to avoid flu deaths. Eighty-three percent of our economy will be suppressed to relieve pressure on the 17% represented by health care. This will have to last months, not weeks, to modulate the rate at which a critical mass of 330 million get infected and acquire natural immunity.

Will people put up with it once they realize they are still expected to get the virus?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to pour resources into isolating the vulnerable rather than isolating everyone?

Basically aren’t we really just praying that summer will naturally suppress transmission and get us off the hook of an untenable policy?'

"America’s shutdown strategy is interesting because it was not a choice that any one person or authority made.

Donald Trump is being pilloried for leaning against panic, urging comparisons to the flu, suggesting the stock market is overreacting. Like the bus, another reason to pillory Mr. Trump will come along in five minutes and not one of his critics will engage in soul-searching over whether he might have had a point."

What has the fear-mongering and panicked accomplished so far?
- The stock market plunge due to fear and speculation in the market wiping out all achieved success (everyone's retirement gain)
- Massive blow to the economy - forced closure of businesses and the laying off of millions of workers....
- The massive economic assistance needed for those effected...

We are all going to get it eventually. Shutting down the global economy is an overreaction.

Regarding the ridiculous criticism of President Trump and this administration over failure regarding test kits:

'Even the fuss over testing is a bit overdone. Nowhere in the world has there been enough testing to detect most coronavirus cases amid millions of seasonal colds and flu cases. This problem exists in China, Europe and the U.S. A British estimate is that 12 people have the virus for every one found by testing. In any case, testing becomes a tad mootish now if the goal is to isolate even young and healthy people.'

I start feeling bad - I take the steps to get tested - I am told to self-quarantine while I wait for test result (which I was doing, like all of us already) - I get a call telling me I tested 'positive' for COVID-19 - I am told to remain quarantined....and if I start getting worse to call / come in to be treated....

If I start feeling bad - I could remain self-quarantined, stay home - and if I start feeling really bad contact my health care / go in....without all businesses being closed, without millions being out of work to protect the most vulnerable (79.5yo with pre-existing respiratory or immune deficiency issues), and without $1 trillion being spent to stop the spread of a virus everyone is expected to get anyway.....

The Test Kit confirms I am sick with COVID-19 instead of just the FLU....

Wash your hands thoroughly frequently
Don't touch surfaces and then touch your eyes / nose / mouth when out
Sneeze into the crook of your arm
'Social Distancing' / Limit interaction in large groups (Don't hang out with sick people r those who might be)
Eat Healthy
Get Enough Sleep

....and you're probably still going to end up getting it.

my question at this point is -

what is the cost of letting this run it's course
vs
what is the cost of hiding from it in hopes we're simply buying time so few can afford

vs
what is the cost of hiding from it in hopes we're simply buying time so few can afford
You're seeing it...or the start of it:

Fear-mongering has led to fear in the market causing the plunge
Post-Zombie Apocalyptic 'runs' on stores / supplies and hoarding
Enforced 'shelter-in-place' / curfews
Businesses closed, millions of workers unemployed
...the economy 'unnecessarily' taking a massive hit.....all achieved success wiped out

vs

Buying time is crucial. If we didn’t take measures to slow spread, we would crush the medial system, as is the case in Italy. It would be shorter, but devastating to lives.

If we distance and slow spread, even if there are the same number of cases overall, then the medial system isn’t overwhelmed at any one point in time and potentially save hundreds of thousands of lives.

People in Nassau County are getting it now and the stores are still packed with shoppers breathing in each other’s faces.

In England some Scientists are calling to infect everyone so they can build the antibodies to fight this infectious virus and many are screaming no because it will overload their NHS, so which one is better?

Personally I believe the Scientists are correct and this will cause deaths but in the end Humans will be more resistant to the Virus...

Buying time is crucial. If we didn’t take measures to slow spread, we would crush the medial system, as is the case in Italy. It would be shorter, but devastating to lives. .

Yeah, I read that too. Many of those infected I have read about say symptoms were 'mild', some showed no signs....Declaring what WILL happen is speculation, granted based on what has happened in other countries....

Buying time is crucial. If we didn’t take measures to slow spread, we would crush the medial system, as is the case in Italy. It would be shorter, but devastating to lives. .

Yeah, I read that too. Many of those infected I have read about say symptoms were 'mild', some showed no signs....Declaring what WILL happen is speculation, granted based on what has happened in other countries....

Given the consequences of getting it wrong, caution is advised.

In England some Scientists are calling to infect everyone so they can build the antibodies to fight this infectious virus and many are screaming no because it will overload their NHS, so which one is better?

Personally I believe the Scientists are correct and this will cause deaths but in the end Humans will be more resistant to the Virus...

There is a huge backlash to it and you can see the UK changing its mind... They are doing a hell a lot more testing than the US.

UK is looking and a major epidemic and being isolated with Europe refusing entry...

If it has happened in other countries it's not speculation. American's have a different immune system? The virus is different when it hits American? In a press conference today the governor of the Lombardy region in Italy literally said they won't be able to treat the sick at all anymore. Italy has a larger medical capacity than the US when it comes to respirators and medical beds.Soon unable to help sick - Fontana - English

Forum List

Back