What email provider do you recommend?

You're the second mention of Protonmail, what do you like/dislike about them?

There is nothing I dislike about them. I also don't get flooded with spam on that account like I do on other free email sites.

Proton mail only offers 500mb of data storage. That is very little. Very little
Gmail comes with 15 GB
Gmail Business is 30 GB
If you use your email to send/receive large attachments, you do not want Proton. You will use that storage in a week.

You and Viktor both mentioned Cox, did those email addresses come with your ISP contract? How is the spam filtering & email deliverability with them? Any concern about ISPs in general having access to your data?

Yes, one came with ISP and the others I set up. Only have general concern about my ISP's access data, over the years (15+) I've encountered no problems. I take precautions with web and email aided by using a password manager tool and setting up Outlook rules.

Which is why I dumped my Yahoo account years ago, they wanted me to pay them to not have to deal with ads............

I think adblockplus would take care of ads.

Plus adblockplus blocks those really loud ads on youtube that can scare you or any pets around the house.

I think adblockplus would take care of ads.

Plus adblockplus blocks those really loud ads on youtube that can scare you or any pets around the house.
Not for emails. Adblock Plus stops ads on your browser, email clients usually let you filter out ads, some like Yahoo want their users to pay them to not receive ads. Or they used to, don't know if they still do or not. Like TV there is BIG money in advertising on the web and many (if not most) "free" websites make their money with ads and selling user information for advertising purposes.

OK, OK, this is weird. Back on the 21st, Arosier started this thread, about changing email service provider to help cut down on spam, as he was having problems that seemed pretty much in my past. Being the gloating asshole, I sometimes am, I voiced with pride, my use of my local internet service provider, use of Norton, Firefox, and search engine DuckDuckGo as well as rules I have set in Microsoft Outlook to handle the problem and may have voiced my continued disdain for Gmail and everything Google. I commented I get very little if any spam/junk email. As far as spam and junk, my situation just changed 180 degrees.

On the 26th I got email from my ISP of wonderful changes to their email service were going into effect soon. Starting on the 27th my email was blasted to hell with over a hundred plus pieces of junk in a 48hour period, discovered when I opened Outlook a moment ago. It is like my ISP just discovered some kind of wonderful new income stream for passing though everything under the sun. It is not that I am unfamiliar with most of the senders, mostly arms and ammo companies I have dealt with (though have not bought in months), The Bullwork (which I read and keep a link to their opening page on my Firefox/DuckDuckGo start screen, but am suddenly very, very popular with anybody and everybody that writes articles for them), VailResorts, EmeraldCoast Vaca Rentals and the like.

It's not that I don't like these people, though I routinely opt out of getting email offers, solicitations and notifications), I just want to be back where I was before last week, but now figure I am in the same boat as Arosier and the boat appears running over. I will probably spend a few hours checking settings, permissions, and making rules, hoping I do not actually cut off all contact with the outside world in a quest to keep my little world tidy and trying to figure for sure, what changed, though my trusted ISP is very suspect at the moment.

buy your own domain name and create your own e-mail accounts.

OK, OK, this is weird. Back on the 21st, Arosier started this thread, about changing email service provider to help cut down on spam, as he was having problems that seemed pretty much in my past. Being the gloating asshole, I sometimes am, I voiced with pride, my use of my local internet service provider, use of Norton, Firefox, and search engine DuckDuckGo as well as rules I have set in Microsoft Outlook to handle the problem and may have voiced my continued disdain for Gmail and everything Google. I commented I get very little if any spam/junk email. As far as spam and junk, my situation just changed 180 degrees.

On the 26th I got email from my ISP of wonderful changes to their email service were going into effect soon. Starting on the 27th my email was blasted to hell with over a hundred plus pieces of junk in a 48hour period, discovered when I opened Outlook a moment ago. It is like my ISP just discovered some kind of wonderful new income stream for passing though everything under the sun. It is not that I am unfamiliar with most of the senders, mostly arms and ammo companies I have dealt with (though have not bought in months), The Bullwork (which I read and keep a link to their opening page on my Firefox/DuckDuckGo start screen, but am suddenly very, very popular with anybody and everybody that writes articles for them), VailResorts, EmeraldCoast Vaca Rentals and the like.

It's not that I don't like these people, though I routinely opt out of getting email offers, solicitations and notifications), I just want to be back where I was before last week, but now figure I am in the same boat as Arosier and the boat appears running over. I will probably spend a few hours checking settings, permissions, and making rules, hoping I do not actually cut off all contact with the outside world in a quest to keep my little world tidy and trying to figure for sure, what changed, though my trusted ISP is very suspect at the moment.
I use Gmail....... I know, I know, but I don't have those problems. I opt out of Googles advertising and any spam I get I report as spam and it gets blocked automatically. Though it does show up in my spam file. I discovered that if one uses the unsubscribe feature in spam email all it does it tell them they found an active email for their affiliates to spam even more.

Looking to leave Gmail. What email provider do you use?
Tutanota, provided you log in at least say every five months, otherwise they close the account for "inactivity". Protonmail and mailfence are just as good. For paid account, Lavabit or posteo.de.

Lots of local ISPs are bailing out of the email sector. I have a favorite from decades ago which is refusing to open new accounts but won't force anyone out. I've experimented with Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo.com, mail.com and still prefer the small ISP as a primary with Gmail following though growing more and more clunky. Mail.com makes a good "spam magnet" and Yahoo wastes too much of one's time on junk ads.

One other local ISP that is phasing out email entirely has become so spam riddled that it's not worth using.

It's almost getting to the point where a fee-based email provider with really effective and easy to use filtering would be a good use of money.

Lots of local ISPs are bailing out of the email sector. I have a favorite from decades ago which is refusing to open new accounts but won't force anyone out. I've experimented with Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo.com, mail.com and still prefer the small ISP as a primary with Gmail following though growing more and more clunky. Mail.com makes a good "spam magnet" and Yahoo wastes too much of one's time on junk ads.

One other local ISP that is phasing out email entirely has become so spam riddled that it's not worth using.

It's almost getting to the point where a fee-based email provider with really effective and easy to use filtering would be a good use of money.
Not sure why you think you are experiencing "clunkiness" via Gmail.
Our company, like many-many-many-many others uses Gmail with their own domain name.
I have used Gmail daily for years. For years before that we hosted our own email (like many use to) then we used our ISP - which was the worst ever - switched ISPs... used theirs - again horrible. Then finally started with Gmail. And never looked back.
The uptime of Gmail is 100%. It simply has not once in over 10 years not worked.
Their administrator domain tools are very easy, so when you make domain changes, MX record changes etc. - it is very easy to edit your settings.
If you are not comfortable with that, there are 1000's of Gmail expert providers who can do it for you for small fees. Certainly cheaper than your ISP will charge you.
Gmail is the best because of their redundancy, ease of use, and finally 1.5 billion users gives them enormous advantages to watching spam trends than anyone else by far.
Not a Google fan, in what they have done to the internet. But their email is VERY good. And VERY secure.

I missed your reply here. Sorry to hear about the spam issue with your ISP. Did you ever find a solution? Perhaps some settings in outlook to filter it easily?

Forum List

Back