What Does LGBTQ+ Stand For? Every Letter Is Important

Status
Not open for further replies.

iku

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2023
Good to see an explanation. I don't care much, as my sexuality is strictly Heterosexual. But the flip side is, it is good to know
that there are people different than me, and this helps me. I printed a copy and put it in my wallet. As for myself,
I don't care what people do as long as it is no threat to me. A person that identifies as LGBTQ+ is no threat to me.
Are there LGBTQ+'rs on this site?

Q: As a heterosexual Male, am I a threat to you?

What does LGBTQ+ mean?​

Below, we go into what each letter of LGBTQ+ means, but we'll give you a quick rundown. LGBTQ+ is an acronym that is a way to reference the entire community in an inclusive way without having to name every identity that exists within the queer population.

LGBTQ+ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (and more). Now, let's get into the specifics.

L: Lesbian​

As National Geographic reported, the term “lesbianism” or “lesbian” is the oldest label out of the LGBTQ+ acronym. This is because of the Greek poet, Sappho, and her “sapphic” poetry. She was from the island of Lesbos, so that’s where “lesbianism” gets its name; women-loving women were just falling into the sapphic tradition, which originated on the Isle of Lesbos. Get it?

The word “lesbian” has obviously evolved in its usage. Still, the modern use of the term started in the 1890s and continued to be the go-to label for queer women who dated other women (even if they were bisexual since that label wasn't used in its modern way yet. More on that later). Now, “lesbian” is the label women or non-men use if they are attracted to other women and non-men. Lesbianism does not exclude transgender women or non-binary individuals, even if a louder minority claims it does.

G: Gay​

The term “homosexual” came right before the modern use of the term “lesbian.” Austro-Hungarian journalist Karoly Maria Kertbeny coined the term in 1869 along with “heterosexual.” “Gay” (as in sexuality, not as in “happy”) came around later, and for decades, it was used as a slur. Unfortunately, that’s still the case in some instances today—Hilary Duff would like to squash that practice, as we thank her for her work—but by the 1960s, queer people started to reclaim the word.

Of course, gay did and still does refer to men who are attracted to other men. By the 1970s, gay was used as a sort of umbrella term for all members of the community, especially during the Gay Rights movement. And because of this, “gay” was also used to describe the community.

B: Bisexual​

Kertbeny, who coined “homosexual” and “heterosexual” also introduced the label “bisexual” into the greater conversation. However, in 1859, the term “bisexuality” was thought to refer to a person with both male and female physical characteristics (which is what we would now call intersex—more on that later).

Once we got to modern-day usages of “lesbian” and “gay,” a lot of people just used those terms while also acknowledging that they liked more than one gender. But bisexuality, as we know it today, took off during the Gay Rights movement, with bi groups popping up by the 1980s. And as the 1990 Bisexual Manifesto—which appeared in bisexual lit and art magazine Anything That Moves—stated, bisexuality wasn’t binary and was fluid. So since its origin, bisexuality has never been about “two” genders and hasn’t been trans-exclusionary (which is, unfortunately, a common misconception).

T: Transgender​

In the beginning, there have been a lot of terms and names for transgender individuals that are outdated or offensive today. The label “transgender” wasn’t really used until 1965, according to National Geographic. Activists like Virginia Prince championed the use of “transgender” since sexuality and gender are two separate things. Transgender people's gender identity is different than the one they were assigned at birth. They can take medicine or have surgeries that help them transition, physically, to their correct gender. But transgender people don't have to physically transition either. Some also use the term non-binary, but not all non-binary people identify as trans.

By the ‘90s, transgender people within the gay community wanted to be seen and respected (especially since the acronym LGB was being used, excluding other queer people). So, by the late ‘90s, the T was added to LGBT and "transgender" was more widely accepted by the 2000s. However, there is still a lot of misunderstanding and hate toward transgender people today.

Q: Queer​

Maybe you’ve been reading this piece and have been thinking about the use of the term “queer.” It’s a slur, right? Well, yes, if spoken by non-queer people in a derogatory manner (don’t let Hilary Duff catch you saying this one either!).

But the word has been reclaimed by the community and, as a label, is growing in popularity. Some people in the LGBTQ+ community use it in conjunction with their other labels and identities, and others use only the label “queer.” The "Q" was added to the acronym as the community grew to be more inclusive of all, and since queer is such a big umbrella term, it covers a lot of identities.

Q: Questioning​

Even though our common gay acronym is LGBTQ+, with just one “Q,” there’s another label that the letter stands for as well. A lot of people recognize that the Q also stands for "questioning," which stands for people who aren’t sure where they fit in within the gay community or don’t have a name for how they identify yet.

Pride Month—and respect within the queer community—isn’t contingent on how you identify, who you’ve slept with (or not slept with) or if you’re out. It’s all about personal discovery and defining who you are for yourself, so people who aren't sure what label they want to use are, of course, still a part of the community.

+: Plus​

To make things read easier and flow better—along with the fact that it is the common, most well-known acronym for the gay population—we at Parade just use LGBTQ+. This is the same with a lot of other organizations and sites. And that “+” is really important because it leaves the term open-ended to include as many identities as exist in the community. This includes people who are non-binary, gender non-conforming, genderqueer and so much more.

For example, there is one acronym, LGBTQQIP2SAA, which includes intersex, pansexual, two-spirit, asexual and ally. That isn’t an acronym that most people know nor can decipher easily (and includes allies which is highly contested and usually not accepted as part of the LGBTQ+ acronym and definitely not a part of the gay community). A more common acronym is LGBTQIA+, which includes two identities we’ll talk about next. Again, the plus in LGBTQ+ has a big job and makes it one of the most inclusive acronyms for the queer population.

I: Intersex​

Intersex isn’t as common a label as the others, but it’s still a label that people have used for a while. As the Gay Center defines it, intersex describes someone who has one or more “innate sex characteristics,” whether that be with reproductive organs, genitals or chromosomes. This would make them “outside of traditional concepts” of the physical gender binary that we know today. This is different than transgender because intersex people are assigned a gender at birth despite not fitting quite into that criteria, physically, and doctors and parents make this decision even if it’s not accurate to what the child actually is.

The “I” was added in the 2010s, and is still used in the longer version of LGBTQ+, which is LGBTQIA+.

A: Asexual​

Asexual people are those that experience no sexual attraction to any gender. This can be shortened to “ace” and is different (but similar) to aromantic, which is a label for people who don’t have emotional or romantic attractions but might not experience asexuality. The term started popping up more in the 2010s, and as GLAAD noted, asexual was added to the larger LGBTQIA+ acronym by 2015.

We know damn well what the + means. Apparently so does Target...

We don't need all of those stupid letters, or even that other nonsense like demisexual, quasisexual, non binary or whatever else there.

There are only 4 sexualities and that is it. Nothing else.

1 you like dick
2 you like pussy
3 you like dick and pussy
4 you like nothing and are A sexual.

There are only 2 genders, aside from rare genetic anomalies. What you are born as is what you are the rest of your life. If you truly believe you're a different gender then you're mentally ill.

1 a man
2 a woman.

It's amazing not to long ago people said "don't label me!" And now they all say "label me!". It's like these people are unable to just be a person, they only know how to be a persona. Their sexuality is their only identity and without it they are nothing. Straight people don't push their straightness as who they are, but fags have to. They exist to be some stereotypical thing.

We don't need all of those stupid letters, or even that other nonsense like demisexual, quasisexual, non binary or whatever else there.

1 you like dick
2 you like pussy

There are only 2 genders, aside from rare genetic anomalies. What you are born as is what you are the rest of your life. If you truly believe you're a different gender then you're mentally ill.

1 a man
2 a woman.

It's amazing not to long ago people said "don't label me!" And now they all say "label me!". It's like these people are unable to just be a person, they only know how to be a persona. Their sexuality is their only identity and without it they are nothing. Straight people don't push their straightness as who they are, but fags have to. They exist to be some stereotypical thing.
Thank you for your tyranny of stereotypical typecasting.

It will be funny to watch all these victim classes try to carve out their own patches without pissing off competing victim classes. The CRT chapter on intersectionalism must be up to 1,000 pages by now.

Good to see an explanation. I don't care much, as my sexuality is strictly Heterosexual. But the flip side is, it is good to know
that there are people different than me, and this helps me. I printed a copy and put it in my wallet. As for myself,
I don't care what people do as long as it is no threat to me. A person that identifies as LGBTQ+ is no threat to me.

What does LGBTQ+ mean?​

Below, we go into what each letter of LGBTQ+ means, but we'll give you a quick rundown. LGBTQ+ is an acronym that is a way to reference the entire community in an inclusive way without having to name every identity that exists within the queer population.

LGBTQ+ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (and more). Now, let's get into the specifics.

As National Geographic reported, the term “lesbianism” or “lesbian” is the oldest label out of the LGBTQ+ acronym. This is because of the Greek poet, Sappho, and her “sapphic” poetry. She was from the island of Lesbos, so that’s where “lesbianism” gets its name; women-loving women were just falling into the sapphic tradition, which originated on the Isle of Lesbos. Get it?

The word “lesbian” has obviously evolved in its usage. Still, the modern use of the term started in the 1890s and continued to be the go-to label for queer women who dated other women (even if they were bisexual since that label wasn't used in its modern way yet. More on that later). Now, “lesbian” is the label women or non-men use if they are attracted to other women and non-men. Lesbianism does not exclude transgender women or non-binary individuals, even if a louder minority claims it does.

The term “homosexual” came right before the modern use of the term “lesbian.” Austro-Hungarian journalist Karoly Maria Kertbeny coined the term in 1869 along with “heterosexual.” “Gay” (as in sexuality, not as in “happy”) came around later, and for decades, it was used as a slur. Unfortunately, that’s still the case in some instances today—Hilary Duff would like to squash that practice, as we thank her for her work—but by the 1960s, queer people started to reclaim the word.

Of course, gay did and still does refer to men who are attracted to other men. By the 1970s, gay was used as a sort of umbrella term for all members of the community, especially during the Gay Rights movement. And because of this, “gay” was also used to describe the community.

Kertbeny, who coined “homosexual” and “heterosexual” also introduced the label “bisexual” into the greater conversation. However, in 1859, the term “bisexuality” was thought to refer to a person with both male and female physical characteristics (which is what we would now call intersex—more on that later).

Once we got to modern-day usages of “lesbian” and “gay,” a lot of people just used those terms while also acknowledging that they liked more than one gender. But bisexuality, as we know it today, took off during the Gay Rights movement, with bi groups popping up by the 1980s. And as the 1990 Bisexual Manifesto—which appeared in bisexual lit and art magazine Anything That Moves—stated, bisexuality wasn’t binary and was fluid. So since its origin, bisexuality has never been about “two” genders and hasn’t been trans-exclusionary (which is, unfortunately, a common misconception).

In the beginning, there have been a lot of terms and names for transgender individuals that are outdated or offensive today. The label “transgender” wasn’t really used until 1965, according to National Geographic. Activists like Virginia Prince championed the use of “transgender” since sexuality and gender are two separate things. Transgender people's gender identity is different than the one they were assigned at birth. They can take medicine or have surgeries that help them transition, physically, to their correct gender. But transgender people don't have to physically transition either. Some also use the term non-binary, but not all non-binary people identify as trans.

By the ‘90s, transgender people within the gay community wanted to be seen and respected (especially since the acronym LGB was being used, excluding other queer people). So, by the late ‘90s, the T was added to LGBT and "transgender" was more widely accepted by the 2000s. However, there is still a lot of misunderstanding and hate toward transgender people today.

Maybe you’ve been reading this piece and have been thinking about the use of the term “queer.” It’s a slur, right? Well, yes, if spoken by non-queer people in a derogatory manner (don’t let Hilary Duff catch you saying this one either!).

But the word has been reclaimed by the community and, as a label, is growing in popularity. Some people in the LGBTQ+ community use it in conjunction with their other labels and identities, and others use only the label “queer.” The "Q" was added to the acronym as the community grew to be more inclusive of all, and since queer is such a big umbrella term, it covers a lot of identities.

Even though our common gay acronym is LGBTQ+, with just one “Q,” there’s another label that the letter stands for as well. A lot of people recognize that the Q also stands for "questioning," which stands for people who aren’t sure where they fit in within the gay community or don’t have a name for how they identify yet.

Pride Month—and respect within the queer community—isn’t contingent on how you identify, who you’ve slept with (or not slept with) or if you’re out. It’s all about personal discovery and defining who you are for yourself, so people who aren't sure what label they want to use are, of course, still a part of the community.

To make things read easier and flow better—along with the fact that it is the common, most well-known acronym for the gay population—we at Parade just use LGBTQ+. This is the same with a lot of other organizations and sites. And that “+” is really important because it leaves the term open-ended to include as many identities as exist in the community. This includes people who are non-binary, gender non-conforming, genderqueer and so much more.

For example, there is one acronym, LGBTQQIP2SAA, which includes intersex, pansexual, two-spirit, asexual and ally. That isn’t an acronym that most people know nor can decipher easily (and includes allies which is highly contested and usually not accepted as part of the LGBTQ+ acronym and definitely not a part of the gay community). A more common acronym is LGBTQIA+, which includes two identities we’ll talk about next. Again, the plus in LGBTQ+ has a big job and makes it one of the most inclusive acronyms for the queer population.

Intersex isn’t as common a label as the others, but it’s still a label that people have used for a while. As the Gay Center defines it, intersex describes someone who has one or more “innate sex characteristics,” whether that be with reproductive organs, genitals or chromosomes. This would make them “outside of traditional concepts” of the physical gender binary that we know today. This is different than transgender because intersex people are assigned a gender at birth despite not fitting quite into that criteria, physically, and doctors and parents make this decision even if it’s not accurate to what the child actually is.

The “I” was added in the 2010s, and is still used in the longer version of LGBTQ+, which is LGBTQIA+.

Asexual people are those that experience no sexual attraction to any gender. This can be shortened to “ace” and is different (but similar) to aromantic, which is a label for people who don’t have emotional or romantic attractions but might not experience asexuality. The term started popping up more in the 2010s, and as GLAAD noted, asexual was added to the larger LGBTQIA+ acronym by 2015.

Fortunately for the dems, they don't have to adhere to a 26 letter alphabet. Personally, I think they should just use one letter for everyone, it's much easier: Q for Queer. I didn't make that letter up, they actually picked it themselves and it fits them all.

Fortunately for the dems, they don't have to adhere to a 26 letter alphabet. Personally, I think they should just use one letter for everyone, it's much easier: Q for Queer. I didn't make that letter up, they actually picked it themselves and it fits them all.
or a W for winner in the 2020 election ?
and to be fair "L" for Republican's, "Losers"

1 you like dick
2 you like pussy

1 a man
2 a woman.

Yeah, well you write your own article and get it published and then I will create a thread on it.
Until then, you are out of luck and stuck with LGBTQIA+.

I'm looking forward to the day when we all get our very own personalized sexual orientation and gender.

The way both are proliferating at such a rapid pace, I won't have to wait long.

What does LGBTQ+ mean?​

No one really cares. The whole thing is to turn people against each other like everything thing else the media, the government, and corporations are pushing. You are a fool.

No one really cares. The whole thing is to turn people against each other like everything thing else the media, the government, and corporations are pushing. You are a fool.
You care, you read the article and you responded.

The + is for pedos. Don't let democrats lie to your face and tell you otherwise.

MTG is RIGHT

And that “+” is really important because it leaves the term open-ended to include as many identities as exist in the community. This includes people who are non-binary, gender non-conforming, genderqueer and so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back